Rugged smartphone for outdoor use

Rokwiia

WKR
I need to get a new smartphone as mine is old. I'm considering a military-spec rated phone (MIL-STD-810G) that can be submerged in water or dropped. I'd feel a whole lot more confident having it with me when I am in the backcountry than a regular slimline smartphone.

I'm looking at the Ulefone Armor 7 which is mil-spec and has a 5,500 mAh battery which is a huge plus. Does anyone have any experience with this particular phone or military-spec phones in general?

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10020&idPhone2=9076&idPhone3=9937

AKG

FNG
I have a Kyocera duraforce pro 2, I've been pretty happy with it for the most part. It's been dropped a number of times without damage to the phone. I have it in an otter box that covers the back and sides, also had a protective screen cover that cracked on one drop on concrete which I removed but haven't replaced. It takes a micro SD card so I have a lot of memory with the card I installed. The only quirky thing is network management- I had issues with access to data when another provider (at&t) had better signal than mine (Verizon) my wife didn't have problems in the same area with the same plan but different phone. Haven't submerged the phone but have gotten it wet from rain. Not as much battery capacity as the one you're looking at.

No experience with the mentioned phones. You could always get a case for the phone. I've had an otter box for my last few iPhones. Dropped in the toilet, too many drops to count, ran over with my truck on pavement.

.....Just an Apple/Mac guy I guess

AKG

FNG
Got mine from the Verizon store. The area I had network issues was a small town near me, I ended up manually changing network settings while there, which worked just inconvenient. Haven't had a problem anywhere else. The programmable button is nice, I use mine for flashlight mode.

ive been using a galaxy s10 active with a case. im not to sure if you can buy them new from the provider anymore, but its been my favorite phone thus far for using outdoors. just make sure and break the battery in properly.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
I'd like the phone to be mil-spec so I would be more comfortable with in the outdoors. I'll probably have to forget the phone that is mil-spec rated and get a case that is.

I went to the websites for the cases you mentioned. I can't find any information about whether they are rated. As an example, here is a Company that makes cases where they are, although not cheap.

https://kagwerks.com/collections/smartphone-cases/products/operators-case-galaxy-s7

The assumption that the term “mil-spec“ implies that it has been tried, trued, tested and determined as being the best option available is simply FALSE. Some, but not all mil spec items are tested. Just because it was tested and given a military contract doesn’t mean it’s the best. It likely means, it was the CHEAPEST one of several good options, but doesn’t mean it’s the best. Don’t hang your hat on that term. Many items are better and don’t carry that designation.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I used to always buy the tough phones, but have been happier with an iPhone and life proof case. Dropped, submerged, kicked around....no issues. Always said I'd never have an iPhone, but glad I made the switch.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
The assumption that the term “mil-spec“ implies that it has been tried, trued, tested and determined as being the best option available is simply FALSE. Some, but not all mil spec items are tested. Just because it was tested and given a military contract doesn’t mean it’s the best. It likely means, it was the CHEAPEST one of several good options, but doesn’t mean it’s the best. Don’t hang your hat on that term. Many items are better and don’t carry that designation.

You are absolutely correct and thanks for bringing it up. I've noticed that cases that almost all the MIL-STD 810G-516.6 phone cases I've seen are rated for drop test only. They're not rated for being waterproof, rapid heat-rise resistance, and others. My quest continues.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
I've decided to go with a Galaxy S10 or S10+ and get as good a protective case as I can find. There are several cases mentioned here I'm going to look hard at.

One, is the LifeProof case although I've heard some people say they had trouble with the fingerprint scanner or it didn't work at all. Has that been an issue and did you switch to facial recognition?

The other cases I'm considering are the Juggernaut IMPT or SLEEV. They do not help protect from water, or prtect the screen from a direct hit, but do appear to be quite good for impact.

isu22andy

WKR
I had a lifeproof knockoff and everyone said they couldnt hear me when I talked. Is that fixed for a new phone ? I have an iphone XR that needs a rugged case

I had a lifeproof knockoff and everyone said they couldnt hear me when I talked. Is that fixed for a new phone ? I have an iphone XR that needs a rugged case

Don't get the knockoff. Get the Lifeproof Fre and you won't have any issues. I have been running them for 7 years now. Zero problems.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
I just activated the Galaxy S10 and put an Otterbox Defender Pro on it for everyday use. I'm looking at the Ghostek Nautical Extreme Waterproof case for woods use and will order it just to have as an option. I looked at the LifeProof Fre in Walmart and it seemed a bit fragile to me for drops that may occur. It seem perfect for waterproof but not sure I'd want to rely on it to withstand abuse. @Theringworm.....have you had your phone dropped while in the LifeProof and how did it hold up?

I'm still looking for a super-duper case that will hold up to rugged use in the backcountry and welcome any other suggestions.

I just activated the Galaxy S10 and put an Otterbox Defender Pro on it for everyday use. I'm looking at the Ghostek Nautical Extreme Waterproof case for woods use and will order it just to have as an option. I looked at the LifeProof Fre in Walmart and it seemed a bit fragile to me for drops that may occur. It seem perfect for waterproof but not sure I'd want to rely on it to withstand abuse. @Theringworm.....have you had your phone dropped while in the LifeProof and how did it hold up?

I'm still looking for a super-duper case that will hold up to rugged use in the backcountry and welcome any other suggestions.

I have had my iPhone 8 in the same Lifeproof case for the past 2 years. I have dropped the phone in the case from standing height onto concrete and tile floors roughly 10 or more times. The last drop was off a step stool onto the tile floor while I was changing a lightbulb. The case did fracture at the corner which now doesn’t allow the outlet cover to snugly fit tight, however my phone had zero damage. Prior to that my prior iPhone was in a lifeproof case for an additional two years no issues. I currently have two teenage boys both with iPhones in lifeproof cases. One will be completing two years with his and the other 4 years No telling how many times they have dropped them. Zero issues at all to the phone or case thus far. One thing that will wear out it seems is the flip cover piece over the charging outlet on the lifeproof. Just with repeated open and closing it wears down. Beyond that,IMO, it’s the best slimline foolproof case on the market that I have tried.

I’m a Lifeproof Fre user on an iPhone as well.

Good protection and a good warranty- they’ve replaced my cases more than once.

I use the Phone Skope adapter for it which works well.

I haven’t had problems with a muffled voice on phone calls in the newer cases, although I think that used to be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk