Ruggedized Smartphones

Anyone ever look into any of the ruggedized phones available on the market? I'm trying to decide which phone to go with next and I stumbled across this bad boy. The specs are kinda weak, but the battery is pretty spectacular and field replaceable. I'm an onX user, so battery is always on my mind.

I've not yet broken an iPhone... But this is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAboy

FNG
We use the sonim at work (Firefighter) and they're built pretty tough but feel like a brick in the hand and so slow and crash so much it's pretty worthless. I've had awesome luck with the samsung s8 active and now have the s10e. I'm that guy that can break an anvil with a cotton ball and they hold up to me.

My Kyocera duraforce pro has been a tank. Went for a swim with me when I dumped my canoe this fall. Gets dropped at work a ton battery life is decent.

Abbhudson

FNG
I'm on my 3rd year with my Kyocera Duraforce. Its survived being thrown around by my 4 year old its entire life as well as taking a swim more than once.

GotDraw?

WKR
Drop me a note if you buy it! Love to hear your thoughts after you've used it for a while because there are some complaints out there about apps closing, problems connecting calls, etc. Others say it's got a great antenna and connectivity. Those that complain about weight fail to realize that the added battery capacity plus the ruggedizing creates a lot of weight.

Look forward to your thoughts.

JL

Anyone ever look into any of the ruggedized phones available on the market? I'm trying to decide which phone to go with next and I stumbled across this bad boy. The specs are kinda weak, but the battery is pretty spectacular and field replaceable. I'm an onX user, so battery is always on my mind.

I've not yet broken an iPhone... But this is cool.

I went through 4 or 5 rugged phones, they were plenty rugged but crappy phones. Switched to an iPhone and Lifeproof cases probably 4 or 5 years ago and never looked back.

OP
Whiskey_Fish
Your thoughts seem to be mirroring my research. I was a big proponent of otter and life proof cases but frankly their product is outdated and not nearly as durable as I think it should be. I’m running a very slim impact case and no screen protector and I’ve had great results. Bummer the ruggedized models aren’t quite there yet. An iPhone 11 with an inReach onboard and a massive battery would at least sell on Rokslide...

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Try one of these out if you are looking for something to protect the phone that is used primarily as a GPS or when paired up with an InReach, etc. https://shop.juggernautcase.com/

Pricey, but not bad when compared to the cost of a phone these days, and if you are out in the middle of nowhere, needing serious water/dust/drop protection.