Run n gun system?

BravoKilo

FNG
The more I look around I kind of like the idea of just permanently attaching some molle shoulder straps and hip belt on the stand and leaving it on there, should make it much quicker to get setup/taken down.

Any links on how to accomplish that would be great, need something to watch when I get home!

Easiest I've found is to also purchase the MOLLE frame. Shoulder straps and waist belt connect to the frame, then just zip-tie to the bottom of your stand (grab the large beefy zipties from Lowes/HD). I have them on my Muddy and Treewalker stands, and my buddies them on their LW climbers.

sad_story

FNG
Yep, permanent straps on stand (and climber) the I use the seat on my stand, or when I use my LW climber I just "open" the platform, and my backpack sits snugly in there

sad_story

FNG
Tree saddles are safer than treestands as you're always attached to the tree. You literally can't hunt out of it without being attached. Lineman belt up the tree, clip in to saddle, unhook lineman belt and you're never able to free fall.

it's my 1st full season in a saddle. Yes always connected to a tree, but equipment failure would be worse in a saddle, less redundancy... Meaning, if your bridge fails you are SOL. Whereas in a stand, ASSUMING you dont fall asleep and fall off your stand, if your stand connection fails you have your tether, and if your tether fails, you have your stand to keep you up in the tree....

For Whitetails I tend to carry as little as possible , and a western pack is always overkill for me. I use a amazon tactical backpack for my saddle set up but am just going to try a cheap military frame.

I'm the same. Although I need the comforts of a stand. I just run Molle shoulder straps on my stand and if I need, the stand will act as a frame pack.

I would rather have a dedicated frame pack and a treestand paired with a carrying system like the XOP TTS or Molle system.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

BDLutz

FNG
Anybody use their western hunting pack to haul in their treestand? I need a better way to get my stand to the public land spots I hunt.

Thinking about getting an XOP Vanish stand as well for something a bit lighter.
I own the XOP Assault. Love it!! Have a buddy who owns the XOP vanish, and he loves it! Awesome stands!!

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
How many here de-bone the deer right there or are you using a an ATV or dragging the deer out? Seems that most from what I can tell aren't that far from the truck.

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
How many here de-bone the deer right there or are you using a an ATV or dragging the deer out? Seems that most from what I can tell aren't that far from the truck.
I plan on quartering a deer out if I shoot one this year, I'll be hunting public land where you cant bring a quad in, no reason to drag a deer a half mile out by myself when I can just quarter it and pack it out

Another vote for quarter. Where I hunt has hills. More than a half mile drag is heart attack bait. I have quartered and carried the last two years and don’t think I would go back.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
After finally quartering and packing one out I'd rather punch myself in the hangdown than ever drag a deer even 100 yards again...
I'm with you on that, packing out de-boned meat and a stand over a mile out is the only way to go.

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider

We have to drag ours out. We are in a disease management area and the whole carcass has to be removed and ATVs are not allowed. Let me tell you, quickest way to find out you are in shape, drag a whitetail out of the woods for 2 miles. I'm pretty sure that works every muscle in the body :)

jspradley

WKR
We have to drag ours out. We are in a disease management area and the whole carcass has to be removed and ATVs are not allowed. Let me tell you, quickest way to find out you are in shape, drag a whitetail out of the woods for 2 miles. I'm pretty sure that works every muscle in the body :)

I have a good buddy in PA and the regs there never fail to give me the WTF's lol

ChrisS

WKR
We hunt as a group in an Adirondack wilderness area. Sometimes there are 12-14 of us. Sometimes there are three. Sometimes solo. Typically, we drag if there are enough guys. I dragged a buck 2 miles solo once. Never again. The older guys think it takes too long to cut up a deer to pack it out and everyone likes to see the bucks hanging on the meatpole. A couple of us are trying to change their minds. But it's tradition and tradition is hard to overcome.

When my RNG consisted of a tree stand, I used my Kuiu to get in and out with it. I would put the stand in between the bag and frame. After some practice, it went pretty smoothly during low light/no light conditions. Now that I have switched to a saddle, I just throw it in my MR Selway 60. Still prefer using my MR and GuideLite Frame. If I kill where I hunt, I quarter and pack it out. Makes life way easier IMO. I am still fairly light in regards to what all I am carrying in. Ill weigh when I get home