Run what you brung or step up to high-end

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Leupold BX-2 binos and have never owned any high-end glass. My BX-2s have been fine for archery and whitetails but I've never compared them to the top-of-the-line stuff. I have a Colorado rifle hunt coming up where we will be glassing a lot (I have a good tripod as well). I've already spent a fair amount on new gear I didn't have before for this hunt so for me upgrade equipment I already have, it really needs to be a difference maker. All that being said, should new binos be a priority this year or something I add later on down the line?

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Also should mention I am thinking of getting a nice spotter but have heard plenty of advice on sticking with high-quality binoculars instead

To your last post, get a good set of binos before buying the spotter. As to your first post, for me it really comes down to your budget. Can you afford to buy new binos and how much do you want to spend? If you will be spending hours glassing then you may end up with headaches using the Leupolds. It was worth every penny for me to upgrade to Swarovski binos but everyone is different. How do you currently use your Leupolds? Do you glass for hours now with them or for just a few minutes at a time? I'd say if you feel like your current binos will work, then rock on.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Re: glassing style. I haven't been on a rifle hunt like this before. I really have no frame of reference for how good or bad my Acadias will be for it. But by looking at where we're going, there are some obvious glassing points into canyons and slopes I know we'll be perched on. We won't be picking apart points if we spot something - if it's a legal bull we are probably making a move.

68Plexi

WKR
I have a pair of BX-2’s as well. Couldn’t believe how nice they were after upgrading from an old pair of Bushnell’s. When I compare them to higher end glass, I can see the difference. Is it enough of a difference that I can no longer hunt with the BX-2’s? No.

If you can afford nicer glass, great, you’ll enjoy them, especially if you’re looking though them for extended periods of time. Can you hunt successfully in the west with BX-2’s? I do.

However, I agree that a nicer pair of binos are more important than adding a spotter. Binos find the animals for me, spotter judges what I find. Some can glass with a spotter, but glassing with one eye closed doesn’t work for me.

If you want to make your BX-2’s work out west, or whatever binos you have, put them on a tripod and move your eyes more than the glass. 100% game changer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric1115

WKR
Elk are much more forgiving than mule deer, and if you have a tripod mount you won't be hating life. If you can swing the upgrade comfortably though, you'll be glad you did.

If you wife is near the edge in terms of signing off on regular western hunts, and keeping the budget in check is a factor, I'd rather hunt this year and next year and the year after that with those Leupold binos than just this year with a pair of Swarovskis and then have to take a year or two off to build up some spousal approval bonus points.

Binos are something you will have for a long time and are a good investment out west. However, your bx-2's will spot game just fine. Higher quality will just be more comfortable. Just like First Lite is more comfy but doesn't kill elk any better. What power are your binos? It may be worth looking into 12x if you have a good tripod and will be spending some time behind glass.
Good luck on your hunt!

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Mine are 10x42 and I have a tripod. I think I’ve been convinced I’ll be fine this season. Maybe next year I’ll look to get into something higher quality and maybe in 12x50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatrascal

WKR
A Volkswagen will get you across country just as good as a Lambourgini will. But if you gotta get there fast you want the Lambourgini. You can hunt and be effective with your Leupold BX2's but if you want to see more game with no headache then get something on the higher end. Fatrascal.

Ac338

WKR
I agree with what was said above and get a better set of binos before the spotter. If you can afford it and watch the classifieds you can get quality glass for a good price. I got my Meopta Meostar 10x42 for $425 and they were a huge upgrade and definitely worth the price.

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
optics are of different priority to different folks depending on how they hunt.

i got to the point where i had owned and got to try every gun i ever could have wanted to try. zero need or want to get another gun. i havent used optics much....and figured i could use them way more than i use a gun. so i dove into swarovski, found what i liked, and got it. i use the binos way more than i ever thought i would.

i can tell you this much...if it were me going west on a hunt, i’d make sure i had a great set of binos.

Austink47

WKR
You could potentially rent some. Minor investment that could really help you figure out what you want to buy.

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I have a cheap pair of 10x42s that are plenty good for whitetail. Found a small local optics dealer that will rent me a pair of leica trinovids for 60 bucks for 2 weeks. For me it's a no brainers but if I could afford to upgrade I probably would.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

I have a Gunwerks edition 5.5 x 22 x 50 NXS with zero stop and Gunwerks scope cover I am thinking of selling if anyone is interested. It is in great shape with only light ring marks from Nightforce rings. The scope has less than 10 rounds under it and has never been hunted with. Includes original box and paper work.

I knew their was glass more clear and crisp than what I had.
I know as I get older my eyes will be less forgiving.

On the flipside, I didn't realize how much I would enjoy glassing with good glass. It a decision I don't regret for one moment.

Kurts86

WKR
I resisted spending a bunch of money on glass the first few years I hunted out west and it wasn’t a problem with certain hunt styles, animals and environments until it ruined a once in a decade drawn hunt for me in AZ.....

The first time you sit down for multiple hours of sustained glassing and your eyes are watering all night you will realize that glass really makes or breaks some hunts. My experience in Colorado is that it isn’t quite as glassing intensive because it’s just more heavily forested in the unit I’ve hunted. I know the more Western and Northwestern units will be more open but lots of central Colorado tends to be fairly tight if you aren’t in the valley or above treeline.

Definitely spend money/rent good binoculars before you mess with a spotting scope. If you are elk hunting any legal bull there just isn’t much value to them. Binoculars are used for spotting game almost all the time and a spotter is for a closer look. I would have 12x or 10x & 15x Binoculars before spending any money on a spotting scope. One good option is to spend more money now on 15’s off a tripod and use your current binos off hand while moving.

Inadequate boots and binoculars will ruin a western hunt faster than anything. Plan accordingly.