Runnin' & Racing

OP
Arrowslinger
I'll go first.

After a long fall and just a few days per week of running, i've finally fallen into a good routine/schedule -running 5 days per week and back to back long runs on the weekend. Gearing up for a 50K in March and 50 miler in April.

2rocky

WKR
Well I had a real hardcore 30 day training session. I think I ran 8 times in the last 30 days. The last one was a 5k on Saturday night. Believe it or not, I finished 13th overall, and I was the second male age 30-39. It was my 3rd time running this particular race, and I was a minute 39 seconds faster than my best time on this course. Plus I felt better throughout the whole race.

I am in week #2 of an 18 week training cycle. 50k in March also. Wed, Thursday, Friday (fri is speed work) and long trail run Sunday, 2nd long run monday. Needless to say I don't party hard on Saturday night, but a recovery beer Sunday at noon is almost a certainty....

I do all my runs but Sunday in the evening. Headlamp is required with the short days, and the early mornings.

VANDAL

WKR
Fall is booked with hunting so I get out of running shape. It's crazy how differently those two are. Right now I can hike up anything at a fast pace but I just went for a 4 mile jog at lunch and felt terrible. Now that hunting is winding down I'll start running a lot more.

For now I have a 10k planned on Thanksgiving day and the SLC marathon in April. Maybe a few 10k races in between. Two year's ago I did the Red Rock Marathon outside of Vegas in March and that was awesome. Would like to do that again.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am doing a Tough Mudder, a Spartan Beast and another Goruck Challenge in 2013. None are really races, but they make you work.

Ya will run cool, and was doing AR 50. I have a rematch with this run. Feet got blistered up from mile 5 on and got worse. More or less had to gimp my way through it. Will get revenge this year and look at something else next year. Friend of mine has run Sanoma few times. They say that is one hilly race. Lots of gains and losses. Would like to do the Big Horn 50 next year. Call it a scouting trip too.

rhendrix

WKR
Planning on running a 5k on February 10. Anyone got advice on how to improve my times? I wanna run it under 25 minutes.

OP
Arrowslinger
It all depends on where your training is at right now, but this might help:

To do that (sub 25) you need to train your body to run an 8:03 pace per mile or better. If you have access to a GPS watch or app on your smartphone, that will help determine speed/pace. Run 4 days per week with your long run on the weekend. Tuesday/Thursday should be 45-60 minute runs with Tuesday run having some short 2 minute intervals thrown in at an 8 min pace -if you can't do that, do what you can (8:30 or 9's) until your body adapts and your speed increases.

Thursday is a moderate paced run, nothing speedy, Wednesday is an easy 30 minute jog or walk.

If you'd like me to create a more detailed plan, just let me know. The only way to get faster is to run faster and smarter.

Last edited:

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
rhendrix also look into.to running mile repeats and intervals you should be able to get some major improvement with.those to types of speed training . Also get a good half mile run just under your race pace ..I try to park about 3/4 of a mile away from the race than ran a done only dynamic stretching right before the race.. Just a few things to try !

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be running my first 50 this next year , and the goal is a sprint and Olympic tri.. I do.a few other runs that are annual runs.. Hopefully I get into a good 50 Ill be applying for a few awesome venues . If not I run the 50 mile section of the 50 k I ran last year .