Running ARC GIS through a Mac (Parallels) SLOW!

Ok, I realize this isn't a GIS forum but hoping someone can help me out. I'm taking a GIS class this summer for grad school and running into issues.

I'm trying to load base maps in an arc map on my Mac through Parallels. It's so slow it's pretty much useless. I can do just about anything with Arc on my mac, but as soon as I need to load an Arc basemap it's so slow it's virtually unusable.

I've already adjusted the settings to allow as much RAM as allowable to go to Parallels and it's still worthless once I try and add a basemap.

Any tips, or can anyone point me to a cheap MS laptop I can buy for the remainder of my class? I don't need anything fancy, and I don't want to spend a lot. I could use a back-up PC at home so I'm not opposed to buying one, but I also don't really need it. At this point if it makes doing my Arc homework faster I'm open to buying something. This is getting way too slow to be productive.

Clarktar

WKR
Buy a PC. Buy compenets from new egg for cheap and put together. Super easy and inexpensive. Or do the homework on your work computer

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
F
Buy a PC. Buy compenets from new egg for cheap and put together. Super easy and inexpensive. Or do the homework on your work computer

My work computer is a Mac!
Dude buy me some crap and bring me a pc when you come down this week. Or loan me one for 8 weeks.
I don't know how to build a pc or even have time for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
Buy pieces and I will put together Friday night

trom2k

FNG
Man, I can't even fathom running Arc through parallels, start import and come back the next day I guess.

I would recommend setting up your system for boot camp (apple's version of dual boot). You'll need to partition your drive as you'll need a partition (will be seen as a drive by your OS) for both Mac OS and Windows OS so two minimum. You will then have a Mac that runs windows on the hardware, not through emulation, and will take full advantage of the hardware. Parallels is fine for light duty apps but it will struggle with any heavy lifting as you've discovered. I think you can also configure shared space (another partition) on the drive that both OS's have access to.

You'll also need a Windows key.

Boot Camp - Apple Support

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk