Running out of Time

So I saw a total of five elk last season. Hunted September the 19th to the 29th. All five were bulls I called in. Three were great bulls two were good 5x5 Satellites hanging together. I have gotten decent with my bugling and cow calls. I have covered so much more ground the last two years . Found lots of nice wallows, all with heavy use, only seems like I am about 10 days late. I have spots marked all over my OnX. Finding good sign just the elk have moved out. They all seem to either be moved over to Private or have turned around and gone back higher up to get away from the pressure. So I am getting burned out on this GMU, been a 4 year drought on harvesting a bull. The GMU went draw last year and I drew it. I am too old to earn "points", I have always just hunted OTC until last year. Most of this area I hunt is a Wilderness Area and covering ground is all on foot. At 61, I do not have a lot of years left to trek through 10,500+ elevation coming up from Texas every year. It gets harder every year. So here is my question to you guys, do you guys think I should try to come up and hunt earlier this season, when they have had less pressure? Maybe I could bring along one or two younger hunters who could help me get an elk out in the warmer weather. Interested in hearing your feedback.

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
If the sign is there but old, I think coming up earlier may not be a bad idea.

Mosby

WKR
I am also 61 and I feel it too. I got my biggest bull in rifle season this past year but I learned that am getting too old to carry a large bull out by myself. Either going to go with my son or arrange for a packer going forward. I would go earlier when there is less pressure and get some help with the meat.

OP
Still Hunter
If I called in 5 bulls in 10 days, especially in an easy-to-draw unit, I'd consider myself fortunate and keep going back to the same spot.
My question was do you think I should try coming up earlier. At 60 years of age the 71 miles I logged in at approximately 10400 feet is not exactly what you would call "a spot". I did not sit in one spot calling in elk. I am thinking they will have less pressure, not herded up yet and out looking for cows. The problem is getting a bull out before the meat would spoil in early September.

OP
Still Hunter
I am also 61 and I feel it too. I got my biggest bull in rifle season this past year but I learned that am getting too old to carry a large bull out by myself. Either going to go with my son or arrange for a packer going forward. I would go earlier when there is less pressure and get some help with the meat.
Thanks for the feedback.

My question was do you think I should try coming up earlier. At 60 years of age the 71 miles I logged in at approximately 10400 feet is not exactly what you would call "a spot". I did not sit in one spot calling in elk. I am thinking they will have less pressure, not herded up yet and out looking for cows. The problem is getting a bull out before the meat would spoil in early September.
If I were in your shoes and had experienced the success calling in bulls that you described last season, I wouldn't be looking to change my strategy at all, timing or location.

OP
Still Hunter
If I were in your shoes and had experienced the success calling in bulls that you described last season, I wouldn't be looking to change my strategy at all, timing or location.
I appreciate your feedback. E-Scouting tonight.

Inferring Colorado from your description...You saw five bulls last year but say a 4 year drought, what happened the other three years? Same old sign or no sign?
It’s a crap shoot, if you went earlier this year, you would have really hot temps the first week, heavy snow the second, who knows what will happen year to year...
I leave cams out all fall. One area elk are in early half the time and late the other half.
if you have the flexibility to choose your hunt time close to September watch the weather up till then and go from there. If not pick a week and then change your hunt location/plan inside your unit that you have hunted a while to match weather for that year.
Bottom line, if you get to a area and the sign is old, move to another on day one. That doesn’t mean a huge move necessarily maybe just a change in elevation.

OP
Still Hunter
Inferring Colorado from your description...You saw five bulls last year but say a 4 year drought, what happened the other three years? Same old sign or no sign?
It’s a crap shoot, if you went earlier this year, you would have really hot temps the first week, heavy snow the second, who knows what will happen year to year...
I leave cams out all fall. One area elk are in early half the time and late the other half.
if you have the flexibility to choose your hunt time close to September watch the weather up till then and go from there. If not pick a week and then change your hunt location/plan inside your unit that you have hunted a while to match weather for that year.
Bottom line, if you get to a area and the sign is old, move to another on day one. That doesn’t mean a huge move necessarily maybe just a change in elevation.
This particular GMU in Co has had a large influx of Archery Hunters the last few years. 2018 and 2019 were just overrun with bow hunters. The Bornandraised group have started a new Fad. I was forced to cover a lot more ground. Which was a good thing as now I have a lot more good wallows and areas located as alternate sources. But again the sign has been a little old. The Moon Phase this year in September is going to be horrible the last weeks of the season with the full moon on the 20th. With that in mine I am sort of thinking of heading up the 4th through the 12th considering the moon and getting in the areas before the elk get pushed out too hard. I am just not a local Coloradoan and don't have experience with how the elk respond to bugling in early September. I have always hunted the last week. I am sure every year is different. Last years early snowfall was crazy.

It sounds like you didn’t cover as much ground before the number of hunters went up. Did you get onto those bulls in areas that were new to you or in your old spots? It sounds like you are in an area worth hunting but going through some growing pains.

At 61 we’re supposed to have things figured out so we can hunt smarter instead of harder. Easier said than done. Sometimes we have to make adjustments. But if the elk were in new places that are harder to get to I think that you are just about to learn your new area. Skip over the old stuff and spend all of your time learning the area that looks best. In other words do what the elk did and find a new home that’s not necessarily that far away but right next door.

One thing worth mentioning... if that area is a ball buster to get to it might be time for an old folks home. A spike camp! Lol You bust your balls once to get it packed in but after that you can do a few 2-3 day stays and hunt hard and stay early and late easily. It’s fun too! If you’re spending more time there you’ll get to know it really well which is huge. The sooner you get started the better off you’ll be. I’d go on to OnX right now and start staring at the place with a new perspective. New boundaries. A little earlier sounds good too. You can’t keep putting on that many miles for the next 10 years brother!

Last edited:
OP
Still Hunter
It sounds like you didn’t cover as much ground before the number of hunters went up. Did you get onto those bulls in areas that were new to you or in your old spots? It sounds like you are in an area worth hunting but going through some growing pains.

At 61 we’re supposed to have things figured out so we can hunt smarter instead of harder. Easier said than done. Sometimes we have to make adjustments. But if the elk were in new places that are harder to get to I think that you are just about to learn your new area. Skip over the old stuff and spend all of your time learning the area that looks best. In other words do what the elk did and find a new home that’s not necessarily that far away but right next door.

One thing worth mentioning... if that area is a ball buster to get to it might be time for an old folks home. A spike camp! Lol You bust your balls once to get it packed in but after that you can do a few 2-3 day stays and hunt hard and stay early and late easily. It’s fun too! If you’re spending more time there you’ll get to know it really well which is huge. The sooner you get started the better off you’ll be. I’d go on to OnX right now and start staring at the place with a new perspective. New boundaries. A little earlier sounds good too. You can’t keep putting on that many miles for the next 10 years brother!
That's why the Title was "Running out of Time". I just bow hunt. I harvested a nice 5x5 with my bow . I have passed a lot of smaller bulls. Looking back I should have taken them all, but I really wanted a nice 6x6 before I give up on elk. I think I am going to go early this year. Hell, I might try to take off the entire month of September and work remotely. I have been having chest pains a lot and I am doing a full work up in the next few weeks. I am addicted to the mountains and listening to the bulls. I am afraid this might be my last chance this year.

OP
Still Hunter
Thanks for asking!! I will be back!! Turns out my chest pains were due to inflammation from the surrounding tissue and arthritis that has started in my ribs from some past old bull riding injuries. Ticker is good. Plumbing is even better. Did find a little electrical hiccup on the old firing mechanism but I should be good. I go back Mid August to make sure all is well. Very excited to be back in the game! Got my draw in well before the deadline & extension! Thinking about going up earlier than I have in the past! I am a blessed man!