running question

so its time for some new goals for me and im not sure where i should be focusing...
should i be trying to improve distance or pace... instead of just 5mi, run 10mi or should i be trying to instead of running 5mi in 45min do it in 35min.

thanks

OP
fillthefreezer
a friend and i are planning to do a small triathalon in the spring and hope to get into maybe 10k or half mara as well.

really im just wondering if one or the other is more beneficial for performance in the high country..

Being fitter and stronger will help you in the mountains. Work on hill repeats, tempo, speed and long runs as your fitness increases.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
All will belp. Anything you do to better your fitness will translate into better physical performance in the mountains. Don't overlook the mental side, get out of your comfort zone and stay there for a while. It will help mentally. Get and go run some trails at 2am in the rain, go swim in cold water, etc.

All will belp. Anything you do to better your fitness will translate into better physical performance in the mountains. Don't overlook the mental side, get out of your comfort zone and stay there for a while. It will help mentally. Get and go run some trails at 2am in the rain, go swim in cold water, etc.

X2! How well my body performs in the mountains is a direct result of how mentally prepared I am. Found that out a lot this year, more so than others!

Mike

OP
fillthefreezer
this whole last year has been a year of breaking mental barriers and weakness for me. so far I've run further than ever, gone higher than ever, deeper, etc. just looking to keep pushing further. its funny how weak the mind can be at times. i will feel tired about a 1/4 way into my run but just keep going then eventually i hit that rhythm where it seems like you could just keep going indefinitely. i just want to make sure I'm pushing myself enough

2rocky

WKR
FTF that is great. After a while though sometimes it feels like you aren't making progress because you recently had a period of rapid improvement. That can really be tough. Sometimes you have to sit down and analyze just how far you have come. Sometimes when you eclipse your goal, there is a feeling of emptiness, like "Shoot, Now what?" Especially after a race. Always have a plan for what you are gonna do between that goal race and hunting season.

I found that training for a long race (running 4/5 days a week) made me recover quicker when I am hunting. I still need more work rucking heavy loads up and down hills.

running helps, but is not the only way. To train consistently i need a race. i seldom perform my best at the race though andd I am ok with that.

Jager

WKR
x3 with Rosinbag.

FTF pick yourself up a HR monitor, and use it on your runs, let your heart give you an idea what is going on with your bodies endurance levels, from there you can adjust speed and distance and have a record of it to compare your performances.

Just my two cents worth. Try running the half or full marathon as stated above. The distance running gives you confadence in your self so that you know you can run x distance, or that you know that no matter what you have the ability in you to dig dep and keep going for 3-4 hours straight under a harsh conditions becasue you did it during your last big run.

I usually only do trail runs now, much easier on your body, plus you get the advantange of going up, and down hills. There are all different distances for trailruns. They usually range from 10k up to 100 milers. If you can, or have run a full marathon, try running a 50K trailrun. These runs teach you how to hydrate and fuel your body properly. This will help out no matter what style of hunting you do.

OP
fillthefreezer
thanks for all the good info guys!
im looking into some half marathons for the spring for a motivator all winter. also looking at a triathalon.
been thinking the HR monitor would be a good idea so ill get one of those too i think.
im rarely in seattle when its not for work as its about 2 hours from home.
i like the idea of getting out of my comfort zone further with running at 2am and the like but im still nowhere near ready for a ful marathon
2rocky: i think i was kind of experiencing what youre talking about with eclipsing goals as the goals i had set to reach before hunting season, i didnt quite reach, now last weekend i gave it a go and was well beyond them so im in a hurry to set new ones.

OP
fillthefreezer
im probably not in the shape alot of you guys are as for years i just "couldnt" run as ive had 3 knee reconstructions and it was very hard on it. it was just about a calender year ago that i decided i was done with the excuses and i bought into the build strong joints theory. so far so good and my conditioning and joint strength and endurance is at leat 5x what it was then

Don't compare your self to anyone else. You are unique. One guy may have to run a 100 miles for a challenge. Another might feel the same at 13.1 miles. It's all relative. Just remember this. Train hard, hunt hard, and enjoy everything along the way.

OP
fillthefreezer
progressive workouts mostly. nothing special. i have alot of cartilidge and joint deterioration but the more i run and hike, tring to push a little further each time, the more improvement i keep seeing. for instance 4 years ago a mile run would have my knee swollen up to where you couldnt see the knee cap and now after 5mi i will have a little swelling but nothing major.
i also struggle with hyperextension (i believe due to one of my ligament graft screws being tweaked) when hiking long down hill sections but that has also diminished greatly as i think the muscles around the joint providing alot more stability nowadays

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I strongly encourage a HR monitor. It really motivates me to see my HR and how many calories I've burned during a workout or run. Many times instead of concentrating on my running pace, I focus on keeping my HR steady or increasing it. The Garmin FR 70 is inexpensive compared to most, but it does not have a GPS.