Running Shoes

luvsdux

FNG
I don't know if every Altra has a zero drop or if some have a negative drop but the concept is the same. Zero would be no difference between front and rear while negative would mean the heel is lower than the front but the concept is the same.

Has anyone found a shoe that lasts over a year? Or >6 months with heavier usage?

I guess there probably isn’t much incentive to making that…

Gorp2007

WKR
Has anyone found a shoe that lasts over a year? Or >6 months with heavier usage?

This is a little like a favorite caliber question, it all depends on your usage. I've had a pair of lone peaks for the past 18 months, but they're on their last legs. I'm also not an ultramarathoner, so my mileage is lower than many. How many miles are you looking to log in a given week and over what terrain?

twall13

WKR

The only shoes I've had last that long with heavy usage are Vivobarefoot Primus FG's as a trail shoe. I used to wear through the soles of their road shoes faster than that when I was running on the road regularly. If you aren't used to a minimalist shoe take it super slow transitioning. That said, because there is no cushion to compress, which is always the first thing to wear out on my Altras, they tend to last awhile. This current pair probably has around 1,000 trail miles on them. I keep a running log so I could go calculate it if I wanted to but I'm too lazy right now. I've patched the laces up several times but they are still functional. I'm getting some wear on the outside edge of the sole, but with my running stride that's normally the place I wear these shoes out.
5e5d7bd65725de5031c0fee5a9f0671b.jpg
425c505a4fd92c8b2af5085b1a60a49a.jpg
7ff0b1070c58b0ff0958507b3a7b8cc4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

wy_will

FNG
I use Brooks Ghost for the road and Salomon Speedcross for trails. I figure no shoe is good at both. It can work, but not ideal. Even used the Salomon’s for a Spartan this year

hammerco

FNG
If I want something with cushion, I've become really partial to Topo Athletic. They do a wide toebox, like Altra, which originally brought me to them, but I've been really happy with the durability. I usually put about 500 trail miles on them before they get retired. And like twall said, Vivos last a long time since there is no foam to crush. For that reason, I don't track mileage on them.

Size 12 & I have wider feet and strictly will be running in Altra Olympus until I find something better.

The last pair has gone about 350 miles and they still have a little tread left.

Great shoe but man they are ugly.
Can’t have it all

hammerco

FNG
Size 12 & I have wider feet and strictly will be running in Altra Olympus until I find something better.

The last pair has gone about 350 miles and they still have a little tread left.

Great shoe but man they are ugly.
Can’t have it all
Are you running in a pair of Olympus 5s? I had the 4s and found that the tongue would slide off to the side and kind of bunch up. I ended up having to cut slits in it and thread the laces through to give myself a higher threading point. Fixed the problem and otherwise they were great shoes. If you aren't having that issue w/ the 5s, I'd probably give em a try.

^^^ yes the Altra Olympus 5s . I’ve had other shoes in their lineup that had tongue/collar issues .
Alta got the memo about their tongues and their fit and lace up is good so far. I personally have not had issues.

Im hoping to get in a trail run tomorrow, well
See how tonight goes 1st!

for all NY day runners.. get it ! See you in 24

hammerco

FNG
^^^ yes the Altra Olympus 5s . I’ve had other shoes in their lineup that had tongue/collar issues .
Alta got the memo about their tongues and their fit and lace up is good so far. I personally have not had issues.

Im hoping to get in a trail run tomorrow, well
See how tonight goes 1st!

for all NY day runners.. get it ! See you in 24
Oh, that's good to hear. Thanks! I've been running in Topos lately and while they just came out with a max cushion shoe, it's very road oriented. I'll look around for a deal on some Oly 5s. Have a great run (and recovery) tomorrow!