Running Shoes

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I use Brooks as well. Nike. Adidas, UA are some of the worst running shoes. If you can get into a running store then they can fit and pick the right shoes for oh based on running style arch etc. it’s more important than you think to have the right shoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same....Brooks Ghost.
a local running store is the probably the best bet. They'll watch you walk and then more then likely have you run on a treadmill. After I did that my plantars fasciitis started getting better and better

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
Go to your local running store and get fitted. Mine measured my foot length and width and watched me jog on a treadmill. They then brought 3 or 4 different shoes out, I went with Brooks Ghost. I got the next generation of Ghosts as well but will probably look for something else this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I had a pair of brooks ghost and did really like them, also have a pair of brooks Richoche and they are nice but more geared towards speed

chasewild

WKR
I'm a distance runner. I'm a bow legged, supinating, heel striker. I run about 35-40 miles a week.

I'm on my second pair of Altra Timps. Good cushion, good energy transfer, nice toe box.

I really want to try the HOKAs but $160 is a pretty penny. But, for the 50 miler this summer, I may try them.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for the last four years I've been running La Sportiva Akasha's- it's their stoutest trail runner, but more importantly for me the fit is perfect- roomy toe box, but precisely locked in at the heel and mid-foot, I'm here to tell you there aren't many trail runners that meet this criteria!

in addition to trail running, I use these hiking, scouting, backpacking and even adventure racing

I don't do any training on pavement, but I think they would do fine

I usually put 500-ish miles on them and then rotate to a new pair, I'm guessing I'm on pair 15 or so. I wait until I can get them on a good sale and then but 3-4 pairs at a time (I think I have a half dozen new pairs in my closet :D)

OP
HuntnMyselfBroke
A lot of my running pains went away after I transitioned to a forefoot strike and got away from shoes with a heel toe drop. There is a lot more to it than just swapping shoes but I always had problems in my old Nike and New Balance shoes. I like Altras, specifically the less padded ones like the Superior 4.0 for trails. I actually run more in Vivobarefoot shoes (Primus FG) than anything but it took awhile to strengthen my feet and calves to where those really work well for me. The Merrell Trail gloves and Vapor gloves work out ok for me as well but I prefer the Vivobarefoots, which sucks cause I can buy three pairs of Merrells for the price of one Vivobarefoot and the durability isn't any better for the price. Everyone's feet and running mechanics are different so best of luck figuring out what works for you but I'd look into trying more than just new shoes to fix your problems. More steps per minute, easing into a forefoot strike, etc.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks man for all the good info

Brooks Beast if you’re over 200lbs, but the best option would be to figure out your foot type and running style. When the craziness dies down you can get fitted by people smarter than me. They record you running on a treadmill and look at your instep. A fitting would be ideal but if you can figure out most of it on your own you can make a reasonable choice.
I love the beast for my flat feet. I was 225 but even now at 170'ish they're even better.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Running shoes are similar to hiking boots in that everyone's feet and their corresponding fit/needs will be different.

That said, I like Altras for the zero heel drop and wide toe box, as someone already mentioned. Their Lone Peak model became my favorite trail running shoe last year.

Note: if going to a zero drop shoe like altra it is advised to ease yourself into them working up mileage as they can work different muscles for sure

Agreed. I charged too hard on my first run with zero-heel drop shoes, and my calves were sore and cramping the next day.

bat-cave

WKR
+ 1 for Brooks. I'm not really a runner, I mostly due it when the WOD calls for it. What I have found as someone that has had to deal with plenty of knee issues, plantar fasciitis and some Achilles issues ... which shoes I wear has become more important as I've gotten older. For me, I like no more than 4mm drop. Zero drop was too much for me and since moving to Brooks with 4mm ... just right!

I also avoid certain brands like Nike purely because I disagree with their very vocal endorsements of political movements! :)

BowTrout

FNG
I really like the Altra Timps for trail running and Altra Paradigm for road running. They have been super durable and comfortable in my experience.

Looking for some suggestions on running shoes, would like to find something that I could use on trails and also have enough cushion for running on pavement.
The nikes are not doing it, feet and achilles are starting to hurt after 3 miles or so. I know everyones feet are different but just interested on what other people are using
Once you go to Altra's you'll never look back.

I'm a big salomon fan. For running and hiking I've had good luck with the speedcross line,, probably not the best for pavement tho.

I keep going back to Altras. I use them for both trail and pavement. I recently switched to New Balance Minimist. Kind of a mistake. It probably toughened up my feet and ankles a bit, but started to mess up my knees and give me bunions. As far as sore ankles, it’s probably just because you’re not used to trail running. The ankle pain should go away in time, as your ankles get stronger.

Sniff

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big Altra and Hoka fan. The Altras seem to flatten out quickly though. I have not tried any of the 2020 versions where I think they changed the midsole material is some models. The internets say that the new Timp is supposed to be better. I know a lot of people do not get into the Hoka's but the Speedgoat 4 is really a great shoe IMO.