Running with the lion!

Figured you kids would appreciate this: was out for an evening run yesterday, clipping along at a good pace in the canyon near my home. This is a very remote area on the Western States 100 mile course. Everything was coming together and i was throwing in some good tempo work. As i rounded a bend, something in the trail ahead of me caught my attention. A large lion was 30 yards ahead of me running the same direction ....as soon as my mind registered LION, i yelled and clapped my hands as i came to a dead stop. He kicked it into second gear and rounded a bend in the trail...I then decided to change routes and headed (ran as quick as my little legs would take me) the other direction.

30 years in the woods and thousands of miles on the trail running and this was my first encounter....pretty cool to finally see one. Looked on google earth and it's about 2 miles as a crow flies from my front door.

Hope he clears out soon, got a big run this weekend, but with the amount of deer here, sure there's plenty more.

Sea37

FNG
They fired the head of the ca dfg because he went out of state on a legal lion hunt.

OP
Arrowslinger
Unless you suffer property damage. Sounds like a hell of a run haha.

Yeah, the jacked up part is, just around the bend from where i saw the lion, a lady was running in '84 and was killed by a lion -there's a small memorial for her. Makes ya a bit tense when running through there in the evening.

Hardstalk

WKR
Pretty cool, still havent seen one alive. Id carry a pistol from now on. A. Sss b. shoot real close and put some fear into em. Without order they think they run the land. Kind of scary when you think about it.

OR Archer

WKR
I get those stupid things on my trail cams all the dang time. I've seen eight of the damn things in my lifetime now and I'm sure I'll see plenty more living here in Oregon . It's always a thrill seeing them but we have way too many of them here.