Rusa deer pic

Jager

WKR
A ferw pics of some young Rusa stags. Not sure if you have them in the US?

A trophy stag matures with 6 points, 3 each side and anything above the mid 30 inch mark is generally considered a taker.

They are lovely eating as with other Asiatic species.

I am fairly heavily into game management and prefer to see stags reach their full potential before taking them.

They are a great deer to watch going about their day.

Hope some enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• P1110717.jpg
    P1110717.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 52
  • P1110723.jpg
    P1110723.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 51
  • P1110724.jpg
    P1110724.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 45
  • P1110741.jpg
    P1110741.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 44
No, we don't have anything like that. Looks kind of like our elk though. Thanks for the photos.

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
They are a lot smaller than elk though, roughly the same size as Fallow (dama dama) if not a little larger

Yeah, I have a heap of pics of them, will dig some other images up.

Spot on Daveinjax, closely related to Sambar, and particularly in captivity they regularly interbreed, will put some pics up of crossbreds. They do love the water too though.

There are 2 sub species, Javan and Moluccan, these being Javan, stags are approx 100 kg.

Shrek

WKR
Jager , we have some sambar on an island near me that I put in for every year but have never been drawn. Look like great fun to hunt.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
They look a lot like an axis deer, only without the spots. We have lots of axis in Texas these days, on high-fenced game ranches as well as free-ranging populations. They escape from high fences, and they flourish. Year-round hunting for them as well, since they're exotics and not classified as game animals. Excellent eating. Better than whitetail (and I love whitetail).

Bug%20Scuffle%20Axis%20Quest%202011-103-L.jpg

IMG_1718-L.jpg

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Ok Daveinjax, would that be off Florida?

Sambar are probably the most difficult species of deer to hunt, how do hunters that get drawn fair?

They are the ultimate game species in Australia, occupying much of the Victorian high country, fortunately they are free to hunt for anyone with a Victorian Game licence year round.

Nice Stag Shane, Axis are plentiful here as well, predominantly in Nth Queensland, although here they are know as Chital, and yeah, they are great eating alright.

Here's another pic Weaver, my favorite.

P1030906_zps3c876324.jpg

Last edited:

Mckinnon

WKR
Great photos Jager, thanks for sharing. They look great! So is this last picture a good mature animal would you say? I see the ivory tips, looks like the eye guards are nice and tall, but then again I really have nothing to compare it to.

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Thanks Rock 2.0, yes he is well worth considering, approx. 34 inches long and nice and wide. I took some pics of him in the crosshairs but let him walk, to be bigger and better the next season, he had a longer mate with him but he didn't have the width. If they really don't jump out and grab me as superb, I prefer to let them be, to spread their genetics some more, till they are in plentiful supply. If you were guiding someone for a Rusa stag though, yeah, you would strongly suggest to take this one.

Mckinnon

WKR
Thanks Rock 2.0, yes he is well worth considering, approx. 34 inches long and nice and wide. I took some pics of him in the crosshairs but let him walk, to be bigger and better the next season, he had a longer mate with him but he didn't have the width. If they really don't jump out and grab me as superb, I prefer to let them be, to spread their genetics some more, till they are in plentiful supply. If you were guiding someone for a Rusa stag though, yeah, you would strongly suggest to take this one.

Right on, good to know. Thanks for the lesson!