Rut Hunting Newby

AZElk

FNG
I recently found out that I got drawn for a limited entry rut hunt in Arizona, there are only 40 tags issued so I am pretty excited. The only downfall is that I have never hunted the rut before. All the elk hunts I have done are in November and usually involve being really sneaky because all the elk are scared due to being hunted all season. I am willing to go as far as I can for this hunt seeing as I might not get a chance to do this hunt again for another 15 years. I hope that someone has some advice to help out a newby like me.

1signguy

WKR
I would get out there early- like now- and really get to know the land. Then I would consider if it made sense to get some professional help. At the very least find a friend or person to help you with the how/what/when of calling. IMO calling a bull in even if I don't get a shot/loose an arrow is as rewarding as knocking one down- and a lot less work!

By the way- Congratulations! My son and I drew nothing in AZ this year- we are headed to Colorado with the horses for OTC elk. Would much rather be chasing elk somewhere in AZ.

Gr8bawana

WKR
My brother in AZ had a unit 1 archey tag 2 years ago. While cow calling for him I had a 5 point bull scream in my face only 25 yards away. We've never had so much fun while never flinging an arrow. The many close encounters were incredible. The closest was a small 4 point a 6 yards which he passed on. We did see a lot of bulls. We had one monster bull bugling back at my cow calls from across a meadow but the closest he ever came was 96 yards.
You will have a blast!

Congrats on the tag, I have hunted AZ in the rut a few times, and was lucky enough to draw a rut tag again this year! What unit did you draw? Is it early rifle or an archery tag? I can tell you this, it is a whole different hunt that the late hunts, they are telling you where they are. I basically just get out there in the dark, and listen, then chase the bugles, you can move fast until you get pretty close. It is a blast! I may bugle to get an answer. I normally don't bugle once I get after a bull, I do cow call to cover my movements and try to get something to come to me. If you drew a decent unit you can expect to be after bulls every day, probably more than one per day. I am no expert, but it sure is fun!!!

If you're accustomed to sneaking around to hunt skittish elk, you'll have a leg up hunting (still pretty skittish) bugling, rutting elk.
I've met several guides who don't call, even during the rut, because their philosophy is if you know where they are, there's no point in letting them know where you are. It's just a helluva lot of fun to call elk, I can't resist.
There a lot of great resources on learning how to talk to elk. Look at Chris Roe, Elk 101, the Elk Nut, etc.
PRACTICE! get your calls and learn to use them well. You've got a lot of time, but don't procrastinate. If you've got a commute to work, practice in the car.

ElkNut1

WKR
AZELK, Archer Wapiti is exactly right, you have plenty of time to learn to hunt & call elk, there's ample info out there these days compared to even 10 years ago! If hunting open country & rolling hills with sage or above most timbered country you will do lots of glassing & less calling for location of elk! If another day you are hunting more dark timber pockets then you will want to do more calling than glassing to locate elk before they locate you! Once found you will need to know how to handle the variety of situations you may face!

If you need to bone up on your calling skills there's no better DVD than the Mastering Elk Calls one that can help you to do that on a complete scale of learning how to use mouth reeds & your bugle & how to make all the necessary Cow & Bull sounds! Here's a link to it. DVDs - ElkNut Outdoor Productions

You will also need instruction on Elk Sounds & their definition as to their message being sent by both you & the elk as you use elk sounds. Also, methods & techniques of use that are tried & proven with 100's of elk called in over the years on OTC public lands. A very good package to consider that will really cut down your learning curve & ready you for this years hunt is Package 00, it's the first one here at this link! Packages - ElkNut Outdoor Productions

If you have any questions about these please let me know & I'll be happy to help out here or PM or email, [email protected] -- Good luck bud!

ElkNut1