Rut spots year after year?

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
yesterday I went on a little scouting / spot and stalk mission and located a section of woods in the middle of a really really big cornfield. This cornfield has lots of let's say texture to it with some grassy patches and little patches of woods spread throughout. I found a section of woods that had a lot of beds in it (fresh in 2 day old snow) and about a hundred yards away there's a CRP area in the field that's only about three acres. I sat and watched that CRP from the corn and ended up seeing six different bucks in about an hour and a half. Lots of chasing and rutting going on. So my question is will this be a good rod spot every year?. I think it likely will not be nearly as good if it is planted in something other than corn but when the corn is standing during the rut is it safe to assume that there's going to be dear here again?

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
For a spot like that to be good year after year things need to be constant. The same/similar crops, crp not being burned in the fall, doe bedding staying the same, acorns dropping the same.

Michael54

WKR
My favorite stand is in a beech tree on the edge of woods with a cornfield beside me and oak trees out in front of me to the right. And there is rut activity there year after year. Scrapes and rubs in the same general area as well. Ive shot a buck out of it every year for the past six years. Neighbor has a similar setup and his is hit and miss.

Broomd

WKR
Yes, T3, that spot should always be good. The lack of corn some years will only make it better given that it offers shelter and safety. But if could be hard to enter unnoticed. The standing corn may affect the reliability of the bedding area as they could simply bed right in the rows.

That sounds like a great setup.

honlx005

FNG
I would monitor it yearly. At the very least, set up a trail camera every year. If it is corn around it, I'm sure it will be hot. If it's another crop, it might not be as reliable, but you won't know unless you scout it. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Elkhntr08

WKR
I have a tree that I hunt in a small strip of woods 150 yards wide by 1/4 mile long, runs north and south, river on the east, road on the west.
I’ve taken 5 bucks and several does from this tree. Two years ago I took 2 10pt bucks a week apart, on different sides of the tree.
Ya, there a great rut spots that produce year after year.

Michael54

WKR
I have a tree that I hunt in a small strip of woods 150 yards wide by 1/4 mile long, runs north and south, river on the east, road on the west.
I’ve taken 5 bucks and several does from this tree. Two years ago I took 2 10pt bucks a week apart, on different sides of the tree.
Ya, there a great rut spots that produce year after year.
I love my beech tree for that exact reason 😁