Rutting when it's dry

It looks like it will be an extremely dry summer in WY. What normally happens to the Elk Rut when it is extremely dry?

- is the rut much less intense during the day?
- is it much more intense and concentrated since the elk will centered around the same water sources?
- does the chasing and bugling happen earlier or later?

Wapiti1

WKR
My experience is that the timing isn't different, but the intensity can be higher due to the reason you state. The herds are closer together and the bulls can get more testy. At least early on when the pecking order isn't fully established.

I've also seen it where they all kind of got in line and one herd after another would hit the water, move on and the next would water. Kind of orderly and not a lot of fighting at all. In both instances, the satellite bulls were all over and picking one of those off was pretty easy.

One other thing that I have seen was they would water at night and were traveling a long way. Like 3 miles or more. I'd catch them on the return in the morning and be near their bedding area. They had no choice for water, but it was too hot to bed near the water. Getting the wind right was not easy on that hunt, but it eventually worked out.

Daylight rutting is temperature dependent, IME. If its hot it is low key and they bugle at night. Cool and they carry on later into the morning. In either, bedding the herd is the strategy I like. Then get the wind right and move in to call or try an ambush on a bull checking his cows.

Sitting water will also work, but isn't near as much fun.

Jeremy

Wapiti1 hit it on the nose!

Sounds like we are gonna get a bit of a break here next week...snow moving in up north and a cold front moving through. that should get them going a little bit. The best thing about hot and dry is you will always know where they are...just find the water or wallows.