RX-Ultra or Carbon Defiant 34

wayoh22

WKR
Just looking to get some opinions here. Been pondering the idea of a longer ATA bow for next year. Will be parting way with my Hoyt Nitrux (31'ATA). Currently eyeing up either a Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34 or an RX-1, RX-3 Ultra. Is there really much difference between them? Any considerations I should be taking into account? Specs I plan to run:

29in or 30in DL @ 70-75lbs
Easton Axis with Brass Inserts, 4 AAE Max Stealth Vanes

Thanks

Man I have an Rx1 Ultra and it is definitely a dream to shoot and holds well. The string angle is great.
But for everything else it just seems so big compared to my old 32 ata
Takes up almost whole back seat, really long strapped to a pack.
I'm most likely to go back shorter next time. It just seems so big anytime we go some where.
I wish hoyt would make a 33" carbon.

Marble

WKR
I didn't have the carbon version of the defiant, but it was great to shoot. My son has it now. It wasn't a barn burner for sure. But it held great, balanced well, didnt vibrate with front and back bar a d drew great. Super smooth draw and hold.

I actually may like it more than my Axius. But my Axius does all those things too, just a bit faster.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I had a lot of trouble with a defiant turbo. I'd be looking at the RX's if sold on getting a carbon bow.
The turbos are more difficult to tune. My buddy shoots for Hoyt and chooses the non turbo bows every year because of the potential tuning issues. I like them. But I don't shoot as good as him and can't notice the slightest things.

IME, someone who is very knowledgeable with the Hoyt turbos can get those bows to shoot lights out.

MattB

WKR
I have a 2019 Ultra with the turbo cams and it is possibly the best shooting Hoyt I've had in the last 5+ years.

Zac

WKR
I would steer clear of the Defiants. Probably one of the worst bows Hoyt produced. Still worked okay but they had to revise that cam with the Pro series. Always had vertical nock issues with mine.

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
Man I have an Rx1 Ultra and it is definitely a dream to shoot and holds well. The string angle is great.
But for everything else it just seems so big compared to my old 32 ata
Takes up almost whole back seat, really long strapped to a pack.
I'm most likely to go back shorter next time. It just seems so big anytime we go some where.
I wish hoyt would make a 33" carbon.

Agreed on the 33” carbon, would be a dream. Not really concerned about size as I’m looking for the longer ATA but that would mean me getting a new case too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
I had a lot of trouble with a defiant turbo. I'd be looking at the RX's if sold on getting a carbon bow.

Not looking at any turbo models but what problems did you find? Tuning I’m assuming?

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
I didn't have the carbon version of the defiant, but it was great to shoot. My son has it now. It wasn't a barn burner for sure. But it held great, balanced well, didnt vibrate with front and back bar a d drew great. Super smooth draw and hold.

I actually may like it more than my Axius. But my Axius does all those things too, just a bit faster.

Thanks for the input, I may pull the trigger on the defiant to save some cash vs going with a RX version.

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
I have a 2019 Ultra with the turbo cams and it is possibly the best shooting Hoyt I've had in the last 5+ years.

Interesting...I think I’d need to replace the cams on the one I’m looking so may reach out for advice later if I do go through with it

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
I would steer clear of the Defiants. Probably one of the worst bows Hoyt produced. Still worked okay but they had to revise that cam with the Pro series. Always had vertical nock issues with mine.

What do you mean by vertical nock issues?

Brendan

WKR
I've had no issues with the Turbos, but agree on the defiant series - I'd pass. Got mine to tune, but it took some work.

Carbon Spyder 34 ZT was a great bow if you go that far back.

RX1 Ultra I've loved, may finally be selling mine this year to try out a Prime.

RX3 Series had some issues with the sight mounting, and Hoyt had to issue a design change / mounting plate revision during the year. Any bow you get, make sure to look this one up, has the revised plate, and check that your sight bar isn't running at an angle off the riser.

Not looking at any turbo models but what problems did you find? Tuning I’m assuming?

Tuning. I couldn't ever get it to put a broadhead with a fieldpoint at distance. Spent a month on that bow. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I am saying it shouldn't be that hard. The ultra bows are easy. The turbo defiants were known to have some issues. I ended up with the revised cams, still didn't fix it. That was the last carbon bow I have had. It had a lot of deflection in the riser, I think that was a lot of the problem I was having with it. I was able to get the nock travel squared away, it was a right impact broadhead I couldn't get rid of. If I remember it tuned nock low, which drove some people crazy. Doesn't bother me as long as it tunes. I got the vertical nock travel fixed, I had to advance one cam slightly, it was a horizontal I couldn't ever get right.

Like I said all of the ultras I have messed with since have tuned easy.

Marble

WKR
I got my defiant with the updated cams (I think 2.1 cams) and never had an issue.

It shot fixed blade BHs out to 60 quite easily.

I guess the difference being mine was not the carbon version.

The original cams really gave the bow a bad rep. Seems like the revised cam fixed the issue but the bow has never gotten passed the original issue.

Brendan

WKR
I got my defiant with the updated cams (I think 2.1 cams) and never had an issue.

It shot fixed blade BHs out to 60 quite easily.

I guess the difference being mine was not the carbon version.

The original cams really gave the bow a bad rep. Seems like the revised cam fixed the issue but the bow has never gotten passed the original issue.

I personally had a defiant ultra with the 2.1 cams, it was better but still not perfect. The Defiant turbo (actually shot that a lot more, until it exploded on me at full draw) is a different cam and didn't get the 2.1 revision. I used and shot this bow a lot more than the Ultra. But, both bows definitely had vertical nock travel issues. IIRC I was running bottom cam ahead and nock low at brace to get both to tune.

Once they were tuned they were great, but it was finicky getting there and I felt like the tendency towards bottom cam ahead affected how they held.

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
I've had no issues with the Turbos, but agree on the defiant series - I'd pass. Got mine to tune, but it took some work.

Carbon Spyder 34 ZT was a great bow if you go that far back.

RX1 Ultra I've loved, may finally be selling mine this year to try out a Prime.

RX3 Series had some issues with the sight mounting, and Hoyt had to issue a design change / mounting plate revision during the year. Any bow you get, make sure to look this one up, has the revised plate, and check that your sight bar isn't running at an angle off the riser.

Surprised I didn’t hear about the RX3 problem. Thanks for you’re input.

And that’s where I’m somewhat torn on the topic of how far to go back haha I don’t mind it necessarily seeing as all I ever hear is that newer models aren’t worth the extra cash. To each their own I suppose.

OP
wayoh22

wayoh22

WKR
Tuning. I couldn't ever get it to put a broadhead with a fieldpoint at distance. Spent a month on that bow. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I am saying it shouldn't be that hard. The ultra bows are easy. The turbo defiants were known to have some issues. I ended up with the revised cams, still didn't fix it. That was the last carbon bow I have had. It had a lot of deflection in the riser, I think that was a lot of the problem I was having with it. I was able to get the nock travel squared away, it was a right impact broadhead I couldn't get rid of. If I remember it tuned nock low, which drove some people crazy. Doesn't bother me as long as it tunes. I got the vertical nock travel fixed, I had to advance one cam slightly, it was a horizontal I couldn't ever get right.

Like I said all of the ultras I have messed with since have tuned easy.

I agree it shouldn’t be that hard. May just be going for the RX1 or RX3 then. Thanks for your input.