RX3 vs Helix

CB4

WKR
I have been noticing more and more RX3s for sale and seems like some of the "professionals" are starting to use the Helix over the RX. I would think Hoyt would want them shooting their flagship model over everything. I get they are basically the same just a difference in material but was curious if anyone had any thoughts on this.

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
I have been noticing more and more RX3s for sale and seems like some of the "professionals" are starting to use the Helix over the RX. I would think Hoyt would want them shooting their flagship model over everything. I get they are basically the same just a difference in material but was curious if anyone had any thoughts on this.
There are some issues with the RX 3.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I shot an rx1 and an rx3 bare bow at a shop with just a whisker biscuit. the hand shock and noise was ridiculous, literally felt a shock in my elbow. I don't understand how they sell any other than guys getting paid a lot of money promoting them.

Put one in a bow press and notice how much the riser deflects. Don't know if it's a huge issue but I know I'm not crazy about it.

My experience was with a defiant. They might not be as bad now.

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
What issues have you heard of have experience with?
The biggest being the sight plate not being properly aligned and they wont warranty them.

I haven’t found a Hoyt carbon bow yet that could beat their aluminum bows when it came to hand shock and noise. The helix is a great bow if you’re a Hoyt guy.

It’s cheaper too.

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
They do warranty it as long as you’re the original owner and registered the warranty.
I stand corrected.....last I heard they were giving people shims to straiten their sights if anything.

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
I’m one of the guys selling an RX-3 In the classifieds. I’ve had no issue with sight plate, hand shock. Great shooting bow and I do like it. That said, I have the 3 cam and a 27 in draw. With a 500 grain arrow I’m shooting 248 on the RX-3. I picked up an Xpedition Mako X which is far quieter than my Prime Logic and gained 22 FPS with the same arrow and am shooting 270. Can’t justify keeping a 1600 dollar bow that doesn’t perform for a short draw like mine.

I’m one of the guys selling an RX-3 In the classifieds. I’ve had no issue with sight plate, hand shock. Great shooting bow and I do like it. That said, I have the 3 cam and a 27 in draw. With a 500 grain arrow I’m shooting 248 on the RX-3. I picked up an Xpedition Mako X which is far quieter than my Prime Logic and gained 22 FPS with the same arrow and am shooting 270. Can’t justify keeping a 1600 dollar bow that doesn’t perform for a short draw like mine.

Now imaging you have a 30” draw on an Xpediton. Mine scream! I have a Denali and helix but still prefer the helix today. Tomorrow maybe Denali....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
I’d love to have the longer draw but I’m so happy there’s something out that keeps me above 265 FPS. I’m impressed with this Mako unlike anything I’ve shot before. Every time I’ve gone for speed, I’ve lost smooth draw and gotten a jumpy back wall.

Last edited:
Damn. Wish I could produce a bow like that.

But I do piss excellence.

I’d love to have the longer draw but I’m so happy there’s something out that keeps me above 265 FPS. I’m impressed with this Mako unlike anything I’ve shit before. Every time I’ve gone for speed, I’ve lost smooth draw and gotten a jumpy back wall.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have both the Helix and RX-3. Both bows are shooting great and tuned up easy. My carbon riser had NO issue with the sight plate. There is a different feel to each at the shot but neither have what I would call hand shock.

Block

WKR
Iv got an RX-3 Ultra... I was super bummed at how loud it was compared to my Carbon Spyder... Limb savers helped quiet it down a bit... the bow shoots great and Iv had no issues like those noted above...

Maybe I’m just used to the Spyder which is 1 of the lightest bows Hoyt made,,, but I’m 6’ 190lbs fairly muscular and this Ultra feels HEAVY!!! Can’t imagine lugging the Helix around 10-15 miles thru the hills...

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a fairly longtime Hoyt guy after being a long time PSE guy.

I’d buy a new Hoyt every year.
From Alpha Max to Carbon Matrix to carbon Element to Carbon Spyder Turbo with the Z5 cam.

The following year when I went to pick a new Hoyt out I passed, was not impressed with the cam. Same thing the next 2 years. I settled on the fact the Z5 cam was Hoyt’s best work inspite of being told otherwise by others. I’m still sold the Z5 cam is Hoyt’s best cam.

Now let’s talk vibration. Hoyt uses the “Hybrid” cam system, string stop with an upper yoke.

Here is what causes some vibe and noise, the cam orientation. If your cams aren’t in tight unison they will vibe because they hit home separately from one another.

Time your cams @ full draw to hit together, some say top cam a smidge before, I prefer perfectly together. Then using a draw board, come off your stop, if one cam is delayed, you’re not good. Both need to hit, and come off full draw together.

When the bow then is shot, you have 1 finite termination to the cam @ rest and the bows engineering to squelch vibe and noise does its job.

Therefore, I’d say anyone having noise vibration issues, please draw board your bow. Check your cams @ stop and coming off stop. Check cam lean @ full draw !!! Cam lean can cause issues as well.

These carbon bows do not vibe or make noise.

Right now I’m currently restringing my carbon spyder turbo z5 because I noticed for some reason, the bow was “kicking” after the shot to the left side. Looking @ my cam marks I place where cams intersect limbs, I saw maybe 1/8th inch gap. Not bad for 4 years. Didn’t think it was the issue. So I decided to try other stabilisers or side bars thinking my face or grip had somehow changed.

Before I did, I ordered new custom strings from my Hoyt string builder , Viscosity Strings and sent the bow home to Connecticut where I met it while visiting family.

My brother who was a Hoyt guy and myself put the new threads on, set the yoke, and had bulletholes in now time.

I then just shot the bow into a bag target @ like 5 feet trying to set the strings in. I quickly noticed something, no kick. With an ultra lite grip, I shot, and she fell dead straight forward. I was in shock.

Moral of this long story ? Cam orientation is more critical then you realise. 1/8th inch !!! That’s all, nite and day shooting !!

Then I heard the combination of the shorter 6 inch brace, the speed and power it generates, makes cam orientation more critical. Not so sure on that, but I can tell you, 1/8th inch mattered huge on mine.

cae138bd3b64c9941b64efb9a01dd889.jpg

MattB

WKR
Not to be overly defensive of Hoyts, but how many guys who complain about noise or hand shock are validating the cams are set properly? It can make a big difference.

Idaboy

WKR
I’m a fairly longtime Hoyt guy after being a long time PSE guy.

I’d buy a new Hoyt every year.
From Alpha Max to Carbon Matrix to carbon Element to Carbon Spyder Turbo with the Z5 cam.

The following year when I went to pick a new Hoyt out I passed, was not impressed with the cam. Same thing the next 2 years. I settled on the fact the Z5 cam was Hoyt’s best work inspite of being told otherwise by others. I’m still sold the Z5 cam is Hoyt’s best cam.

Now let’s talk vibration. Hoyt uses the “Hybrid” cam system, string stop with an upper yoke.

Here is what causes some vibe and noise, the cam orientation. If your cams aren’t in tight unison they will vibe because they hit home separately from one another.

Time your cams @ full draw to hit together, some say top cam a smidge before, I prefer perfectly together. Then using a draw board, come off your stop, if one cam is delayed, you’re not good. Both need to hit, and come off full draw together.

When the bow then is shot, you have 1 finite termination to the cam @ rest and the bows engineering to squelch vibe and noise does its job.

Therefore, I’d say anyone having noise vibration issues, please draw board your bow. Check your cams @ stop and coming off stop. Check cam lean @ full draw !!! Cam lean can cause issues as well.

These carbon bows do not vibe or make noise.

Right now I’m currently restringing my carbon spyder turbo z5 because I noticed for some reason, the bow was “kicking” after the shot to the left side. Looking @ my cam marks I place where cams intersect limbs, I saw maybe 1/8th inch gap. Not bad for 4 years. Didn’t think it was the issue. So I decided to try other stabilisers or side bars thinking my face or grip had somehow changed.

Before I did, I ordered new custom strings from my Hoyt string builder , Viscosity Strings and sent the bow home to Connecticut where I met it while visiting family.

My brother who was a Hoyt guy and myself put the new threads on, set the yoke, and had bulletholes in now time.

I then just shot the bow into a bag target @ like 5 feet trying to set the strings in. I quickly noticed something, no kick. With an ultra lite grip, I shot, and she fell dead straight forward. I was in shock.

Moral of this long story ? Cam orientation is more critical then you realise. 1/8th inch !!! That’s all, nite and day shooting !!

Then I heard the combination of the shorter 6 inch brace, the speed and power it generates, makes cam orientation more critical. Not so sure on that, but I can tell you, 1/8th inch mattered huge on mine.

cae138bd3b64c9941b64efb9a01dd889.jpg

Well that depends on the nock travel.... If vertical nock travel is off the cams may have to be be slightly "de-timed" (ie the problem with the defiant dfx cams).... Gonna have a bear of a time tuning if vertical nock travel not perfect, or you have to compensate with rest, which is a bandaid fix,abd then you could have clearance issues... I havent tinkered with the new ZT cams.... If the ZT cams on the rx3/helix have clean nock travel then I agree with your points