Ryan got a big buck!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The Fuzz just put the hammer down on big old looking buck!!!

He’s been hunting the last few days with sketchy service so we’ve hardly spoken. Then today I get a “call me” text but I’m in a big boring meeting. When the Fuzz says call me, and he’s on the mountain, you make excuses to end meetings!

A few minutes later he FaceTimes me from the mountain and he’s got a big buck on the ground and putting it all up in my face.

Heavy, upper 20’s wide and some definite hoggness to this buck. Best FaceTime ever!

He thinks it’s a big buck @Jim Carr missed an opportunity at a few weeks ago. They kept hunting the area and seems he showed back up.

No pics yet but just hit the watch button so you can see this buck when he gets back.
This is his 2nd big buck and I’m way excited for him as he’s been trying hard to get this done. This is not just “lucky ass” hunting.

Oh ya, 600+ yards for those who want to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well of course fuzzy wuzzy connected..........I think he's worked a total of 3 days this year.........

Randy

P.s. Pictures or it didn't happen!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is Ryan today:

20a38b2c5aaa24e3b56211e5b45b7de5.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
First I must thank @Jim Carr for keeping me motivated on big bucks in North Idaho. I was beginning to think there were no big bucks here. I grew up here hunting elk and whitetails, Mule deer was never on the menu. Then we started Rokslide and @robby denning #thelegend talking me into hunting these white-faced devils.

Long story short over the last five years I have dedicated an obscene amount of time trying to kill a big buck up here. Very low MD numbers to start, bad genetics, brush, fog and predation make it a very tough hunt.

This year was shaping up to be a bust as well. But two days ago I saw a VERY big buck but the fog decided I didn't need him. So as luck would have it today was clear as a bell. I knew I needed to be at the first glassing spot at daylight. Which is fun because of the 6-mile walk in. I made it to the spot right at daybreak with a fresh three inches of snow. For the first two hours, I saw nothing but Moose. At about 9 I saw a couple does and a three-point. Then I heard a buck grunt below me which is funny because the last MD I heard grunt was the buck with Robby right before I shot him. Anyways, he was in a larch thicket and I was not able to see anything. About an hour later I was glassing and spotted a doe, then another than to many to keep track of about 600 yards away. I'm thinking there has got to be a buck in there somewhere. Then like usual, a buck appears like he has been there all along. But he won't stop chasing does and when he does stop he know how to put a tree or brush in front of him. This goes on for 30 minutes. Finally, he gives me a hard quartering away shot at 640 ish yards and I pull the trigger and he is gone. I scanned with the binos then the spotter, nothing and the does act like nothing happened. I keep looking for about 30 minutes then I watch a little three-point start herding does. If he is herding does that buck is dead... that what I told myself anyway. I make the trek over there and it didn't take me long to find the blood trail. It was a red carpet. The buck still made it a 100 yards down this little valley. When I walked up to him there was no ground shrinkage. Nope, he won't score well and I give no shits. This is the old nasty buck I have been looking for the last five years. I am beyond happy!!
854820d71b221537c1bb9264dd64a65c.jpg
fb9795aa1b71aedd927225e2c3bd7a09.jpg
0c62f44c48f9d2ea27a93921cbd22481.jpg
4fbb4765cff4e29a9803e00c5b7c58be.jpg
97c5054074a496534534530a4708d45d.jpg

Sidenote. I don't know what to think about the 230 Atips. They seem to be quite explosive. Although I was running them at 3200 FPS our of a 300 terminator. I will run the numbers tomorrow

Last edited:
Awesome buck Ryan! Way to stay in it! 5 years!?!? I have an area I've been on for that long too, good bucks in there. Unfortunately I haven't got it done yet though. Hats off to you!