S&B Klassik 8x56mm Field Evaluation Q&A

jbspec

FNG
Hi Form
Thanks fo conducting these tests
Do you have any experience with the pmii 3-12x50? More specifically the model with single turn turrets, parallax fixed at 300m and non illuminated P4L reticle. Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

eamyrick

WKR
Appreciate the review. I just got a 3-12x42 klassik with the mil dot reticle. I had S&B adjust parallax to 200 and add a mil turret. After using a standard 3-12x42 klassik with their a4 reticle I was pretty confident in the robustness of this scope.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hi Form
Thanks fo conducting these tests
Do you have any experience with the pmii 3-12x50? More specifically the model with single turn turrets, parallax fixed at 300m and non illuminated P4L reticle. Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

They generally work. Some have problems, but most are good.

Appreciate the review. I just got a 3-12x42 klassik with the mil dot reticle. I had S&B adjust parallax to 200 and add a mil turret. After using a standard 3-12x42 klassik with their a4 reticle I was pretty confident in the robustness of this scope.

Is this the P3 reticle with illuminated center dot/cross? If so, mind sharing how much S&B wanted to add an elevation turret (PM is fine)? Also, is the turret limited to 3.2 mils?

Much obliged.

eamyrick

WKR
Is this the P3 reticle with illuminated center dot/cross? If so, mind sharing how much S&B wanted to add an elevation turret (PM is fine)? Also, is the turret limited to 3.2 mils?

Much obliged.
S&B was super easy to work with and charged $350 to add the turret and change parallax. Yes the turret is limited but I should be able to get to 600 with the turret which is further by about 100 yards than I would ever shoot in the field. I really like NF but they don’t have a tube long enough at 20oz to low mount on a long action.

Lawnboi

WKR
S&B was super easy to work with and charged $350 to add the turret and change parallax. Yes the turret is limited but I should be able to get to 600 with the turret which is further by about 100 yards than I would ever shoot in the field. I really like NF but they don’t have a tube long enough at 20oz to low mount on a long action.
Let us know how it works out. Iv been eyeing a klassic with one rev turret. One rev will be adequate for the rifle it would go on, and if all else is solid in it it’s an interesting option.

BjornF16

WKR
I’m completely uninformed when it comes to SB scopes/turrets.

Can someone give me the Cliff Notes on how their Klassic series turrets work? Are they suitable for dialing?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Can someone give me the Cliff Notes on how their Klassic series turrets work? Are they suitable for dialing?

They are a low pro turret that limits you to 3.2 mils of elevation. The scopes themselves generally work correctly, though I can’t remember anyone that I know using the Klassik with BDC turrrets heavily.

BjornF16

WKR
They are a low pro turret that limits you to 3.2 mils of elevation. The scopes themselves generally work correctly, though I can’t remember anyone that I know using the Klassik with BDC turrrets heavily.
Most of the Klassic models are CT (capped turrets)...how do those turrets work? (i.e. Are they suitable for dialing?...limited in travel the same as BDC turrets?)

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Most of the Klassic models are CT (capped turrets)...how do those turrets work? (i.e. Are they suitable for dialing?...limited in travel the same as BDC turrets?)

No. The capped turrets aren’t suitable for dialing.

eamyrick

WKR
Their Klassik and Precision Hunter are the same scope but the PH has a factory turret and parallax set at 200 meters. You can make a PH out of a Klassik by sending it to S&B and having a turret added and the parallax adjusted. Time will tell but when you open the capped turret on the S&B you can immediately tell it is more robust than a Leupold or Swaro in the 13-15 ounce range. S&B has a reputation for robust scopes. If NF would make a long tube 3-12x42 they would have a winner in my book. I don’t like the short scopes for hunting rifles.

BjornF16

WKR
Where did you get the Klassic from?

How long was the turn for adding turret and adjusting parallax?

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Any other fixed powers worth looking at? I know you’ve sung the praises of the swfa but I haven’t seen them available for a bit. I know Leupold and Meopta make some but don’t know how they all stack up comparatively

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Only place in the states to get them is Eurooptic. Turn around was a few weeks.

I picked up one of the 3-12x42 P3's as well and have been hunting it off/on since mid-November. It's a good all around hunting reticle. I've not done a ton of shooting with it, mainly just sighting in and checking drops with reticle. After the season ends next week I'll test it a bit and if everything is good I'll likely send it off for the BDC.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Any other fixed powers worth looking at? I know you’ve sung the praises of the swfa but I haven’t seen them available for a bit. I know Leupold and Meopta make some but don’t know how they all stack up comparatively

For dialing or set and forget?