S&B Klassik 8x56mm Field Evaluation Q&A

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Either or. I’ve been a set and forget guy in past and I don’t feel like it’s limited me, but I wouldn’t be opposed to learning to dial if I had the equipment

Dialing makes it harder. The S&B fixed are usually good, though they are limited to 3.2 mils of usable elevation on the turret, however if you are not shooting past 500’ish, that should be enough. From relatively limited sample sizes (no drop Evals), the Meopta fixed powers are ok, and the Kap fixed powers seem to be good.

Far and away, the SWFA fixed 6x with MQ reticle is the choice for general hunting. They can be found used often enough, and I would strongly lean that way if shooting past PBR.

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Dialing makes it harder. The S&B fixed are usually good, though they are limited to 3.2 mils of usable elevation on the turret, however if you are not shooting past 500’ish, that should be enough. From relatively limited sample sizes (no drop Evals), the Meopta fixed powers are ok, and the Kap fixed powers seem to be good.

Far and away, the SWFA fixed 6x with MQ reticle is the choice for general hunting. They can be found used often enough, and I would strongly lean that way if shooting past PBR.
Thanks for that, I’ll see what I can drum up used

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I have a MeoStar R1 7x56 on my Belgium Browning .308 BLR and love it. I use it for pig hunting just to get it out. The MeoStar glass is known for its low light performance and this one will not disappoint. I have the 4B reticle that I dialed in the drops using Strelok Pro, it's nice getting this rifle out when it isn't 15 deg. outside!

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Most of the Klassic models are CT (capped turrets)...how do those turrets work? (i.e. Are they suitable for dialing?...limited in travel the same as BDC turrets?)
Mine has dialed well, RTZ was as good as I can shoot on a lighter weight (7.5 lb) 7mm08. Liked it so much I bought a second one for a Fieldcraft 6.5 creed, as I prefer their P3 reticle (on my PMII 10x42 as well).

Here‘s a few looks

B108F371-BF22-4F87-BDEC-BE93404EED9C.jpeg04885D70-D39D-480F-9799-896625D20941.jpeg

Monty3006

FNG
I’m considering getting a S&B 6x42 Klassic Hungarian with the 1” tube to put on a .243 I use for deer. Shots are 20-300. Form do you have any experience with this model and what are your thoughts on it for this type of hunting?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m considering getting a S&B 6x42 Klassic Hungarian with the 1” tube to put on a .243 I use for deer. Shots are 20-300. Form do you have any experience with this model and what are your thoughts on it for this type of hunting?

Very good scopes, and that’s the use they are made for.

I love the 6x42 and 8x56 for ease of use to look through. I've shot thousands of rounds through them. However I had a 6x42 completely fail to hold zero (on a AR15). The 8x56 was faulty for about 18months, holding zero but opened up my 1MOA groups to 2MOA and I didn't realise. I thought it was the barrel. When I switched out the scope the rifle got more accurate shooting 5 round sub-MOA all day. Felt pretty stupid. Sent the 8x56 back to the shop who fired a 3 round group and said nothing was wrong with the scope, so I sold it back to them. These were the 'Hungarian' made models so I wonder if for some reason the Germans have better QC. Nevertheless I no longer trust S&B anymore. Funnily enough in the military we switched out our S&B for NF, since the S&B were struggling holding zero.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 8.15.57 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 8.15.57 pm.png
    948.1 KB · Views: 62

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I like simple equipment. I keep thinking about one of the 8x56's with the P3 (mildot) and the BDC elevation. It would be limited on dialing distance but would still be very usable for my hunting with the reticle to hold windage. I'd love to see S&B do a run of those.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I like simple equipment. I keep thinking about one of the 8x56's with the P3 (mildot) and the BDC elevation. It would be limited on dialing distance but would still be very usable for my hunting with the reticle to hold windage. I'd love to see S&B do a run of those.

S&B's new 4.8 mil BDC elevation dial with the P3 reticle would really make a nice package with the 8x56. Wonder is EuroOptic would order a special run....and if S&B would be willing...

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
S&B's new 4.8 mil BDC elevation dial with the P3 reticle would really make a nice package with the 8x56. Wonder is EuroOptic would order a special run....and if S&B would be willing...

I’d buy.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I'll check with EuroOptic. Having been part of a special order through S&B in the past, I would note up front that it wasn't a quick process.

For any that are interested, does it matter to you if it's manufactured in Germany or Hungary?

JCMCUBIC

WKR
EuroOptic is checking with S&B to see if they're willing. The only things I specified were P3 reticle and 4.8 mil turret. Germany/Hungary production and P3/P3L reticles I noted but didn't specify. I'm ok with either place of production and illuminated or not isn't a make or break for me. I'll update here as I get info.

nobody

WKR
EuroOptic is checking with S&B to see if they're willing. The only things I specified were P3 reticle and 4.8 mil turret. Germany/Hungary production and P3/P3L reticles I noted but didn't specify. I'm ok with either place of production and illuminated or not isn't a make or break for me. I'll update here as I get info.
Keep us in the loop, I'd be EXTREMELY intrigued depending on cost

nobody

WKR
It’ll be the western scope. I tried a few years ago to offer S&B Germany silly money to make an 8x56mm with P3 reticle and a new turret- they wouldn’t budge. A group but might work though.
I agree, I love the idea of what it is. I feel like I want just a little tiny bit more mag than the 6x SWFA gives, but the 10x is a little too much, The 3-9 SWFA is close, but I really love the idea of the bigger objective on the S&B for more light, plus the simplicity of the fixed 8x just seems like less futzing around with stuff in the heat of the moment.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Gotta say, the 4.8 mil BDC turret makes things quite easy.
Sent my 3 Klassik 3-12's back to adjust parallax and install the new turret.
Run up to 4.8 and back 20 times, rifle is just dead on.
Used it on a mule deer at 418 with no issues a couple weeks ago.
I may just send the 3-12x42 in to have Form test it if those are still going on.

nobody

WKR
Bringing this back up, any chance you've heard back from them yet?