S/E Nebraska Whitetail #'s?

*zap*

WKR
Have the deer 3's rebounded since the 2011-2012 ehd troubles in the s/e corner of Nebraska?

Thanks in advance.

guf54

FNG
I can't speak for south east Nebraska because I don't live/hunt there but here in south central Nebraska last year was the best I've seen for 3 1/2 to older bucks since the ehd breakout of 2012. I would say that most populations have rebounded since then, although it might take a few more years for it to fully recover to what it once was.

crolfes

FNG
Im in northeast nebraska and numbers aren't up to where they were prior to the EHD in '12 but they are back up to a healthy population. I'm guessing 2/3 of what they were. They were too high prior to the outbreak, in my area atleast. It's hard to talk age structure where i'm at since they typically get shot by 4.5 but there are getting to be more older age class bucks.

Donjuan

WKR
I can speak for northeast KS. I do hunt right up to the nebraska line. The numbers are returning and we are finally starting to see mature, heavy racked bucks. The drought last year did not seem to trigger any EHD issue, IDK why

Same, I still don't see as many total deer, but last season I saw a good number of mature bucks. This year should be even better!

bignocks

FNG
I feel like we are finally getting some age structure. Buuut one way to tell the numbers unfortunately is seeing how many are hit on side of the road. I can't say I saw a bunch dead last year like you did in the past. But just a thought.

Lytro

WKR
I've hunted the SE corner quite a bit the last 3 years during archery season and I always see good numbers. After the opening week of rifle season they seem to get pretty disbursed though. Likely due to agricultural harvests in that area, along with increased hunting pressure from the firearm seasons.

Gumbo

WKR
My family has a small farm in Cass County. Numbers are nowhere near what they were a decade ago on our farm. But take that info with a grain of salt, it is in a very liberal harvest area and neighbors hunt heavily in what I would consider "fringe" habitat. We are on the highest ground in the county (not great surrounding habitat) and have neighbors who kill anything brown. That said, numbers are still FAR better than when I was a kid and you felt like you should call the paper if you even caught a glimpse of a doe.