S22 Sheep Tag in Colorado

kybowmang

FNG
I still cannot actually believe it happened, but I got very lucky and drew a S22 tag in Colorado.

I would greatly appreciate any insight to folks that have hunted Sheep in the unit or even seen sheep while Elk hunting.

Thank you

Viper*6

FNG
Colorado Fish and Wildlife used to have maps and locations for every sheep killed available to view in the Denver office. This was during the mid '80s when I hunted Bighorns. Hunters were required to report this the information. Maps were divided into the 3 different seasons. Suggest you contact them and find out if they are still available to view. This was very helpful information.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
congrats on your tag! Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society can be a great resource for previous hunters. Consider joining knowing we are the organization with the mission to “…put more sheep on the mountain”.

Also keep an eye out for our upcoming Sheep and Goat hunter meet and greet and orientation. We will bring guys who have hunted your unit for you to visit and go over maps with. To be finalized but probably July 9th in Denver area. Last year we had a great and large group of previous and current tag holders going over maps and strategies including for your unit.

Also, our annual Rendezvous is on June 10&11. Join the org and sign up to attend. There will be hundreds of experienced sheep hunters, almost certainly some who know your unit on hand to network with to help you start planning scouting and hunting.

Good Luck!

svivian

WKR
Colorado Fish and Wildlife used to have maps and locations for every sheep killed available to view in the Denver office. This was during the mid '80s when I hunted Bighorns. Hunters were required to report this the information. Maps were divided into the 3 different seasons. Suggest you contact them and find out if they are still available to view. This was very helpful information.
You can still find this information on the CPW's website. Granted it does not provide coordinates but it does give descriptions like a certain basin of the unit that is reported.

Foldem

WKR
Huntdata.com has really good GMU specific maps that have all of the past available information on them. It was invaluable for planning my mountain goat hunt in 2020 and their customer service was great.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Lucky Sheep and goat tg holders should join us at the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society Sheep and Goat hunter Meet and Greet on July 9.

2022 Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society
Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goat Hunter Meet & Greet
When
: July 9. 2022. 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Where: 1 Shot Gear, 16190 S Golden Rd Unit A, Golden, CO 80401

Join us for a day of visiting with fellow sheep and goat hunters! Talk strategy, look
at your maps, and meet hunters who have drawn this year and in the past! Food
trucks will be on site and we will provide free beverages. Bring some cash for a
chance at some great raffle prizes.

Please RSVP by completing the form on our website. Include the unit you drew so
that we can make every effort to have someone there with experience.

OP
kybowmang

kybowmang

FNG
Thanks @khunter, the event last weekend was great and I'd highly recommend anyone who either draws or just want to network to attend the RMBS events.

OP
kybowmang

kybowmang

FNG
Just wanted to say thank you to all that I've met and spoke to about this Sheep hunt.

Will send some pictures and videos from the actual hunting coming up

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I was within bow range of a group of rams Sept 3rd unit 81. Two very mature full curl rams in the group. We had staring contest for about 3 minutes and then they decided to keep feeding and I continued summitted the mountain and ate lunch. They never left. I heard this tag is in the 180k range. Maybe when I retired I can take my lump sum out of my PRA and kill one, but just doesn't feel much like hunt when they are not even worried. What is so coveted about this hunt? Just curious. Looking forward to seeing what your hunt yields.

WKR
I was within bow range of a group of rams Sept 3rd unit 81. Two very mature full curl rams in the group. We had staring contest for about 3 minutes and then they decided to keep feeding and I continued summitted the mountain and ate lunch. They never left. I heard this tag is in the 180k range. Maybe when I retired I can take my lump sum out of my PRA and kill one, but just doesn't feel much like hunt when they are not even worried. What is so coveted about this hunt? Just curious. Looking forward to seeing what your hunt yields.
I just hunted an archery ram tag in S32. I think over two seasons there were 10 tags and 3 guys I think tagged out. Not sure what unit GMU 81 is regarding sheep units but a guy could look up the success rates there.

Sheep live in beautiful country, there aren't a lot of them, tags are hard to draw. If I can figure out a way to hunt them again, I will.

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I just hunted an archery ram tag in S32. I think over two seasons there were 10 tags and 3 guys I think tagged out. Not sure what unit GMU 81 is regarding sheep units but a guy could look up the success rates there.

Sheep live in beautiful country, there aren't a lot of them, tags are hard to draw. If I can figure out a way to hunt them again, I will.
So you didn't tag out? Well if you ever get a tag in unit 81 I can help you find a heard that will damn near let you pet them. I do appreciate the insight on where sheep live. I hope you get the chance to do so again.

Last edited:

WKR
I hope the OP has had good luck and filled his tag. I know another guy who covered well over 100 high country miles filling his rifle tag. Not sure the other 2 rifle hunters in his unit filled.

I've heard multiple people say how easy it is to kill rams in CO and I guess I am thin skinned about it. I am sure there are places like Estes Park and perhaps some areas like you hiked where they are not wary. That has not been my experience. You asked why the hunt was so coveted and I tried to answer that in my earlier reply. Best of luck to you this fall.

OP
kybowmang

kybowmang

FNG
Incredible hunt in incredible country! Got this Ram on my 7th day in the mountains (1st day of jaunt #2).

After two weekends this summer scouting, I packed in the morning of opening day. Long story short, there were a few of use tag holders going after the same sheep on opening morning. I stayed back and the other two groups went after this band of rams, attempting to kill two at the same time. Unfortunately, one of the hunter's first shot was missed and the sheep ran out of the country. I found some lambs and ewes, but never spotted a Ram myself that first day,

Day 2-3 we're spent trying to find sheep from that band of rams, but only found 1/2 curl rams and 30 or so lambs and ewes. Put a good 16 miles on the boots over those two days, covering 3 different drainages from as many angles as I could possibly get.

On Day 4, I packed out 4 miles, drove around the other side of the unit and packed back in 5 miles, to a more remote drainage. Once the basin opened up to glassing, I was able to spot a nice 3/4 curl ram, who was feeding about 1800 feet above me with a Ewe. I watched the sun go down that night, fired up about the prospects of getting after that Ram at first light. Unfortunately, he never showed. I spent that whole day working different parts of that basing to make sure I could see everything. Day 5 was much of the same. I jumped over into the bottom of the two original basins that I was in the first couple of days and found some of what I think was the original band of rams, but never saw an older age class ram. Packed out that afternoon (with my tail slightly between my legs).

Day 6, I camped at the trailhead that night, as I didn't get down there until 11pm. Got up early, and after getting eyes on the basin I was planning on glassing in, I spotted two younger rams right on the skyline, about 1.5 miles away and 2000ft up. I decided that I should take my time hiking around to get on top of where I last saw them, just in case they were with a larger group of Rams. Once on top, and after the thermals switched to be in my favor, I started easing above these cliff bands, essentially looking straight down into these rock cornices (that you can see in the picture). I got to the last band, and couldn't believe what I saw! 4 bedded Rams inside of 50 yards...

They were bedded, facing directly uphill towards me. I sat down and slid on my butt across to where i could see that left horn again. I was lucky enough to ease up slowly and shoot the biggest one, off hand, at 43 yards (All that rifle practice this summer and could have been an archery shot). He rolled a couple hundred yards into a scree field, where I was able to finally get my hands on him.

Couldn't have asked for a better ending to a likely, once in a lifetime hunt. Now I'm hooked on Sheep!!

Meat is great too by the way!!

IMG_4375.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg
IMG_4603.jpg
IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg