S4 GearS

Hike&Hunt

FNG
Does anyone here have any experience with this company's products?

I am looking at the sidewinder evo for a rangefinder and the bino harness.

Thanks

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Bino harness and I love it. It is very well made. Don't hesitate to pull the trigger on the Bino Harness. I'm looking at the rangefinder one as well.

dotman

WKR
I had the sidewinder and it fell apart half way thru last season, the tension on the rangefinder when deployed gets old. There are better options but there are also people that have not had an issue with it.

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
The older lockdown is good, but the new 'redesigned' one is even better. I have the old one and really like it. New one has a wide protective lid for the objective lenses, and the backstrap is modified to make it ride a bit more comfortably. Wouldnt hesitate to recomend the lockdown..

As for the Sidewinder/Evo - I would not recomend it. Its a great concept - and I used it last year during rifle season. I was worried about the quick detach and was always 'checking' to make sure it was there. In the excitement after I shot my elk, my rangefinder "quick detached" by itself somewhere in the Colorado sage flat. Fortunatly there was a foot of snow on the ground, and I was able to backtrack the next day and found my range finder.

Have heard the lock down puts more pressure on the neck than desired but no personal experience... I have the EVO and do like the concept, but the locking lever comes undone easily and the quick detach leaves more to be desired. I still like it though I wouldn't buy it again...

Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have the original lockdown. It works pretty well, and I really like not having to have objective covers or a rainguard on the bins. However, it isn't perfect, as the straps are stretchy and tend to slip. Also the top of the pack will pull away from your chest if you are bent over or crawling. The new model may deal with these issues better.

slider

FNG
I tried the lockdown last year and the only issue I noticed was that the neck straps were a little close together. It seemed like at times they were pinching the sides of my neck.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
I have had good luck with the lockdown and haven't experienced the neck fatigue. I will reiterate the comments on the sidewinderEVO. It is better than any other retractable tether I have used, but I think the tension is too much. It is also pretty easy to accidentally detach it like has been mentioned. Still searching for the perfect rangefinder system....

Matt

J-Daddy

WKR
I pronghorn hunted with the LockDown last year and hated every second of that thing...It was hot so I had on t-shirts, with no real collar on a t-shirt that dang thing ate the back of my neck up over the course of a week..Other than that it wasn't terrible but that was so uncomfortable that I'd never buy another one.
As for the rangefinder, I'm gonna use the RangeSnap this year, looks like it'll work pretty well.

When I was in the market for a bino harness I looked at both the S4 and the Badlands. At first glance the badlands looked a bit too bulky, but I tried it out, shot my bow with it on and after about 2-3 days of using it, I forgot it was even there. I ended up settling for that one instead of the S4 and I haven't had any issues with it being in the way or it being uncomfortable.

The only downside is the magnets and if you let them snap shut when it's dead calm or if you are close to an animal it will likely cause them to take off. That hasn't happened yet, and I have gotten into the habit of closing it softly everytime I put my bino's away.

A good system to keep your bino's out of the weather is key, they are worthless if you get mud on the lenses, snow or rain on them make it hard to see and you will spend countless times cleaning them off. I like what I use but I am always looking for something better, I just don't think the S4 is what will do it.

mtnkid85

WKR
Hockey,
I take it you have handled the new S4 harness? I have the older one and like it, but I feel the top flap just isnt wide enough/doesnt encapsulate the top of the bins well enough. If they did infact make the "protective lid" wider, that alone would be worth the upgrade to me.

The old style harness has never bothered me, wearing anything from t shirts to marshmellow man amount of layers. Large range of adjustment and easy on/off. With it all said and done though, I think Ill try the FHF harness next.

The older lockdown is good, but the new 'redesigned' one is even better. I have the old one and really like it. New one has a wide protective lid for the objective lenses, and the backstrap is modified to make it ride a bit more comfortably. Wouldnt hesitate to recomend the lockdown..

As for the Sidewinder/Evo - I would not recomend it. Its a great concept - and I used it last year during rifle season. I was worried about the quick detach and was always 'checking' to make sure it was there. In the excitement after I shot my elk, my rangefinder "quick detached" by itself somewhere in the Colorado sage flat. Fortunatly there was a foot of snow on the ground, and I was able to backtrack the next day and found my range finder.

I love the concept of the way the lockdown holds hour glass. Easy to use, good protection and not too much bulk. But the harness is absolute garbage. As mentioned the thing rides on the back of your neck after 5 minutes no matter what you do. Better than just a strap but feels like one. Also the straps were too narrow and way too thick so with a pack on they worked their way to the inside of the packs straps and squeeze the sides of my neck like crazy. I just got the sitka and while i think it will take some time to get used to the way you have to get your binos out it is hands down a better harness.

Joe

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also have the same issues with my bino harness... but the new one they came out with looks a lot better. It's suppose to the lighter and the arrangement for your back is different. I will be upgrading to that one as soon as possible. Other than that I love the lockdown.

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
MtnKid - noI have not handled the new one, but if you go to their site you can see the difference in the back harness construction. old model is the Lockdown "LD" new one is the lockdown X. there was also a review in the latests eastmans Hunting Journal describing the differences

http://s4gear.com/products/LockDownX