S90V Homemade Knife

Ive been using S90v in the Benchmade Altitude and now the Steep Country (I think is the model) and those will do multiple animals without touchup. Its my favorite steel.

The steep country cruised through a moose even cutting through joints, etc….. while my buddy cussed broken blades with his Havalon.

i really do appreciate a real knife, and have a bunch, and always have my dalstrong (favorite) and an altitude in my pack, but end up using my tyto more often than not... if he's breaking blades, he's doing it wrong. i have broke down at least 50 critters with havalons and tyto, and used to break a blade occasionally, but haven't broke a single one in several years.... of course they have limitations, but once you learn them, it's a non issue. i do think a real knife is safer, but besides that and the traditional aspect, those flimsy cheap replaceable blades are very practical and handy in the woods. i can get through an elk with my altitude, but needs to be touched up a few times or i'm cussing it a lot more than the tyto... 2 blades with the tyto and i'm using a very sharp knife the whole job with a little strategy

I’ve been building custom knives as a hobby and just enjoying the process while learning about different steels as I go. I built this latest model in S90V and was able to use it on two cow elk we shot this season. I was really impressed with the way it performed. It kept a really nice working edge all the way through and I really think I could get through another elk. All this without an touch up on the ceramic rod.

I ground it pretty thin and slicey this time around. While I was not prying and digging the tip in to pop joints, I did get pretty aggressive with the belly of the blade on those knees. No microchips on my end. Blade was heat treated at 61 HRC. I milled out the handle to save some weight, and enjoyed the balance on this knife.

I know knife steel selection and blade shapes are very personal, but I thought I would share my recent experience with this steel and give a thumbs up to it. View attachment 327108View attachment 327109View attachment 327110
you do good work, that's a fine looking knife!

Hoghead

WKR
I purchased a few knives from fenor. Great to deal with great fit and finish I have 4 hogs on 1 knife so far. Mostly gutting only 1 I debone still sharp.
99fa7e94622ab7e0152cfea5e4494917.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk