S90V Homemade Knife

feanor

WKR
I’ve been building custom knives as a hobby and just enjoying the process while learning about different steels as I go. I built this latest model in S90V and was able to use it on two cow elk we shot this season. I was really impressed with the way it performed. It kept a really nice working edge all the way through and I really think I could get through another elk. All this without an touch up on the ceramic rod.

I ground it pretty thin and slicey this time around. While I was not prying and digging the tip in to pop joints, I did get pretty aggressive with the belly of the blade on those knees. No microchips on my end. Blade was heat treated at 61 HRC. I milled out the handle to save some weight, and enjoyed the balance on this knife.

I know knife steel selection and blade shapes are very personal, but I thought I would share my recent experience with this steel and give a thumbs up to it. 7258D617-D35F-4C02-8798-A8F6514B51E0.jpeg9CA17968-4ABC-47E8-BE51-56C52C635481.jpegB1B537CD-B372-4016-B8E9-72E5650BC4B1.jpeg

Read1t48

WKR
That is a super good looking knife. Wow!
I use a Havalon but there's something about a real knife - especially like the one you have pictured.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been building custom knives as a hobby and just enjoying the process while learning about different steels as I go. I built this latest model in S90V and was able to use it on two cow elk we shot this season. I was really impressed with the way it performed. It kept a really nice working edge all the way through and I really think I could get through another elk. All this without an touch up on the ceramic rod.

I ground it pretty thin and slicey this time around. While I was not prying and digging the tip in to pop joints, I did get pretty aggressive with the belly of the blade on those knees. No microchips on my end. Blade was heat treated at 61 HRC. I milled out the handle to save some weight, and enjoyed the balance on this knife.

I know knife steel selection and blade shapes are very personal, but I thought I would share my recent experience with this steel and give a thumbs up to it. View attachment 327108View attachment 327109View attachment 327110
Thats a very clean looking, practical knife. I like it. Great steel too. Should work really well.

Beautiful knife! Really well done on the both the blade and the scales - for doing that as a hobby its mighty impressive! Post up some more of your work for us if you would.

mcseal2

WKR
Great looking blade. Looks light and comfortable to use, things that don’t always go together.

Benzy2

FNG
Great knife and steel. Maybe not the best for some uses, but certainly excellent at many. Looks well made.

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider

I know knife steel selection and blade shapes are very personal, but I thought I would share my recent experience with this steel and give a thumbs up to it. View attachment 327108View attachment 327109View attachment 327110
Great looking blade! I've been looking for an s90v with a decent heat treat and it looks like that's what you did yourself.

crich

WKR

I know knife steel selection and blade shapes are very personal, but I thought I would share my recent experience with this steel and give a thumbs up to it.
Nice job 👍. What is your heat treat process? Also curious what angle you're sharpening to... I did 15dps on a benchmade 940-1 using a wicked edge and have a fair amount of micro chipping after several months of general daily carry/use. Im thinking it's much to hard of a steel for that shallow of an angle.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
I get them heat treated to 61-62 hrc and this one was a 40 degree inclusive if I remember correctly. I left it a little toothy on the sharpening and didn’t go too far up the grit progression.