SAAMI has approved specs for a 7PRC

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
My understanding is that Hornady will be releasing the 7PRC possibly late summer or early fall. SAAMI has already approved the specs for the new cartridge. I think it'll be based off of Gunwerks 7LRM cartridge, but with some tweaking, rather than being based off the 300PRC. I know a lot of shooters are probably salivating right now at just the thought of it. I think Hornady is smart in waiting to release the new cartridge until they catch up with the current demand for components and ammunition. What are your thoughts?

OP
Z

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
Sure wish is would be based on a short action.
It very well may be a SA length case, I'm just assuming it may be based on 7LRM. I've searched the web, but have found nothing other than SAAMI has approved the 7PRC.

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
It will have to offer something not already on the market , I’m guessing it’ll be designed around the 180 eldm and 175 eldx . I’ve always liked the 7 LRM , it seems to modernize the idea behind the 7 RM kind of like the 300 PRC does for the 300 WM . I’m curious to see how it will compare to the 28 nosler , is the 7 PRC going to be more of a super magnum ? Or more of an efficiency king ? Kind of cool , running out of niche slots in the market.

Savagenut

WKR
It will have to offer something not already on the market , I’m guessing it’ll be designed around the 180 eldm and 175 eldx . I’ve always liked the 7 LRM , it seems to modernize the idea behind the 7 RM kind of like the 300 PRC does for the 300 WM . I’m curious to see how it will compare to the 28 nosler , is the 7 PRC going to be more of a super magnum ? Or more of an efficiency king ? Kind of cool , running out of niche slots in the market.

A short action 7 prc would do nothing over the 7 saum. Seems pointless.

OP
Z

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I know the the 7SAUM is coming back from the brink of extinction,( I think Gunwerks had a lot to do with that), the 7WSM which I believe is a better cartridge is fading further into obscurity, now we'll wait and see just what the 7PRC is all about, and whether it'll be viable enough to stick around.

sneaky

"DADDY"
My understanding is that Hornady will be releasing the 7PRC possibly late summer or early fall. SAAMI has already approved the specs for the new cartridge. I think it'll be based off of Gunwerks 7LRM cartridge, but with some tweaking, rather than being based off the 300PRC. I know a lot of shooters are probably salivating right now at just the thought of it. I think Hornady is smart in waiting to release the new cartridge until they catch up with the current demand for components and ammunition. What are your thoughts?
If they're waiting to get caught up, then it won't be coming out this fall. They're not even close to being caught up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

deadwolf

WKR
I know the the 7SAUM is coming back from the brink of extinction,( I think Gunwerks had a lot to do with that), the 7WSM which I believe is a better cartridge is fading further into obscurity, now we'll wait and see just what the 7PRC is all about, and whether it'll be viable enough to stick around.

I wouldn’t give Gunwerks the credit for the 7 saum coming back, but I’d give them credit for recognizing a growing number of shooters using/wanting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadwolf

WKR
Sure wish is would be based on a short action.

There is zero reason to base on on SA.

If you want to shoot 140-156 gr pills then just shoot a 6.5 PRC. If you want a 7 saum then you’re looking to shoot 175-180s and you’ll want a medium action to make that work properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, not understanding why you would want to neuter a 7PRC by putting it in a SA. Only thing the 7SAUM lacks is factory support, it's plenty popular already, brass is the biggest holdup on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Far as I know, 7 LRM and 300 PRC are both simply necked down versions of the 375 Ruger. Actual chamber clearances might vary but it would be odd for Hornady to come out with a cartridge that is the same thing as one they already make brass for under a different name.

While the 6.5 PRC case has a magnum bolt head, capacity is closer to the 284 case than the saum or wsm. So it'd basically be a slightly shorter .284 if it was a straight neck up of the 6.5 PRC case. The .284 comes with good brass options (lapua, peterson, norma, win, hornady) but lacks factory ammo options.

Last edited:

2five7

WKR
Awesome, another Hornady "wunderkind" cartridge that no one will be able to buy ammo for 🙂

tak

WKR
Curious what this will do to factory ammo options in 280 Ackley... that was getting fairly common before the covid mess. Time will tell I guess.

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
The 7mm market is filled right now 28 nosler 280 ai and 7 saum /wsm and 7mm08 the little bro. Dunno where they are going to go with this lol