Saddle hunters

nal5080

FNG
I use Beast sticks. I'm planning on adding a single step moveable aider this year so I can drop from 4 sticks to 3.

I use a single Lone wolf climbing stick and a single step aider. I use the one stick method to get up the tree. It took some practice to get used to it, but I have it pretty down pat now. My platform is DIY, using a primal edge step and a piece of 7/8" plywood. Works great and cost me about $8.

Last year was my first year using a saddle. I did 9 hunts out of it, ranging from 2 hours to 9 hours. Some minor adjustments throughout the season and I found what was most comfortable to me. I love my saddle set up. Saddle, step, aider, and platform come in at 10lbs. It all fits in my pack, except the stick which I strap to the side or just carry. No more clunky climbing stands for me.

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
Here’s a video I made a while back. I went back to sticks because the WE steps would sink into soft trees and get loose. If I tried to recam, it would just dig deeper. There was too much fiddling when it wasn’t the ideal hard tree.
I’m now using cut down helium sticks most of the time. Using a movable aider became annoying over time. I may look into adding a cable aider like LWCG came out with. It won’t flap in the wind, it’s not very visible, and should pack up easily.

Very nice, thanks for sharing it was nice to have a visual.
Here's an example of it. You can type it into youtube and there are several videos of them being used with the WE steps and other sticks.

Cool, thanks man, looks like I'll be in a you tube hole this evening. Lol. I'm super excited to get started and practice with it. Definitely gonna save me goin in 2 miles this falls, chasing mountain bucks.

Chazz

FNG
I have used lonewolf sticks and 2 WE steps a a perch for the last 3 seasons. It is light weight and fast. Whatever option you go with do something to silence it. Like stealth strips or something similar. Makes a huge difference for me on being quite.

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
I have used lonewolf sticks and 2 WE steps a a perch for the last 3 seasons. It is light weight and fast. Whatever option you go with do something to silence it. Like stealth strips or something similar. Makes a huge difference for me on being quite.
I agree on the silencing, sounds like you have a killer setup!
I just ordered Beast sticks, to get me started, still wanna get 5 to 7 WE steps for more options.

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
to climb i have preset strings in the trees to pull up my climbing rope. then i climb using 2 prusiks. no steps required for climbing.
I like the sound of that, but my luck a squirrel would chew the string and I would be 2 miles in, on the mnt. With no way up the tree. That is definitely a way more lite wieght system though. I won't count it out.
Thanks! I got a set of 11 wild edge steps with the bag that I dont use anymore. TYD for $120. I can pm you pics if you are intrested
Yea , I'm interested!

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
I used cut down hawk helium sticks with a knaider and swaider this past season. With 3 sticks I can get my platform right around 20 feet. I tried the wild edge steps but they were not for me

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
I used cut down hawk helium sticks with a knaider and swaider this past season. With 3 sticks I can get my platform right around 20 feet. I tried the wild edge steps but they were not for me
I guess that's one thing that is great about this , there is no right or wrong. Its all preference! I like the mobile aspect of it Al. Just trying to get some ideas.

ozyclint

WKR
Google arborist throw bag.
It's just a little bag filled with lead shot with string attached. I use 130# dacron bow fishing line. Throw the bag over suitable branch then you can pull the climbing rope up over the branch then girth hitch the trunk if the branch isn't a suitable anchor.

It's a great system when you have preset the strings.

There are limitations in that there might be multiple limbs to try and feed the throw bag through so that you can create a girth hitch with the rope later.

I guess if needed you could climb with sticks and pull up a string through difficult limbs then leave the string as a preset. Then you don't need the sticks from then on.

The other thing I do is have a long rope. Mine is 20m. This allows you to simply route the rope over a suitable branch or fork then anchor the rope at the base of the tree or any other suitable anchor nearby. This eliminates the need to girth hitch the branch or trunk and the associated need to retrieve the girth hitched rope. Simply pull the rope over with the string, anchor at the base, climb, hunt, descend, pull the string back over with the rope.

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
Google arborist throw bag.
It's just a little bag filled with lead shot with string attached. I use 130# dacron bow fishing line. Throw the bag over suitable branch then you can pull the climbing rope up over the branch then girth hitch the trunk if the branch isn't a suitable anchor.

It's a great system when you have preset the strings.

There are limitations in that there might be multiple limbs to try and feed the throw bag through so that you can create a girth hitch with the rope later.

I guess if needed you could climb with sticks and pull up a string through difficult limbs then leave the string as a preset. Then you don't need the sticks from then on.

The other thing I do is have a long rope. Mine is 20m. This allows you to simply route the rope over a suitable branch or fork then anchor the rope at the base of the tree or any other suitable anchor nearby. This eliminates the need to girth hitch the branch or trunk and the associated need to retrieve the girth hitched rope. Simply pull the rope over with the string, anchor at the base, climb, hunt, descend, pull the string back over with the rope.
That sounds bad ass! I can see the benefits of that, thank you for sharing! Do you have 2 lineman's belts? What type of ascender are you running?

ozyclint

WKR
That sounds bad ass! I can see the benefits of that, thank you for sharing! Do you have 2 lineman's belts? What type of ascender are you running?
I use a rock climbing harness and a DIY saddle I made. I ascend/descend with a foot loop prusik and a prusik loop on the harness.
When in position I then girth hitch the trunk with a 9mm rope to attach the saddle bridge to. This gives me 2 attachment points while hunting. From the ground up I'm always attached via the harness.