Saddle hunters

VAboy

FNG
I use tree gaffs. Quick and quiet, can go however high I want and super easy to go around limbs. Only downfall is can't use them on public land.

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
Yea
I use tree gaffs. Quick and quiet, can go however high I want and super easy to go around limbs. Only downfall is can't use them on public land.
Yea, that isn't allowed here either. I may try it on my property!

Ghetto

FNG
I use hawk helium sticks with aiders and a lone wolf hand climber as a foot climber where I can.

I really disliked the wildedge steps but I did keep one that I use as a first step with aider for extra height some times. I wouldn’t recommend them especially if you are hunting pines.

There is a learning curve in this game and it takes a little persistence sometimes before you break through.

Ghetto

FNG
Also for the sticks I like the versa strap or daisy chain option instead of using the metal buckles.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I like the shot options & comfort of saddling.
2 options for me, saddling/run-n-gun with Kestrel Flex saddle:
1-Since I have LW Alpha & sticks, long hike in, I use 2 of the LW sticks-stealthed-versa'd + 1 aider 5 step.

2-Or I really like using my LW Hand climber seat as a platform. Using safety drop rope attached to HC "platform" & my tether.
Gets me up safe & fast!

2A-Hike to stand in less than 1/4mile, I'll use LW Hand Climber base for platform. Again with safety drop rope to my tether.

Last edited:
OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
I like the shot options & comfort of saddling.
2 options for me, saddling/run-n-gun with Kestrel Flex saddle:
Since I have LW Alpha & sticks, long hike in, I use 2 of the LW sticks-stealthed-versa'd + 1 aider 5 step.

Or I really like using my LW Hand climber seat as a platform. Using safety drop rope attached to HC "platform" & my tether.
Gets me up safe & fast!

Hike to stand in less than 1/4mile, I'll use LW Hand Climber base for platform. Again with safety drop rope to my tether.
I'm excited to get started an see how I evolve. I'm buying a platform from a friend. Our on a limb. Next year I'll look into the lone wolf kunhurts or a predator from tethrd

OP
Mntbuck38

Mntbuck38

FNG
Regarding the cost for a "saddle platform",
My LW fixed stand-4 sticks, 5 step Black Diamond aider, LW Hand Climber and Kestrel saddle give me many options.
Super effective elk & deer hunting out west too!!
I definitely like having options, and I am planning on hunting elk this fall. I was actually thinking about bringing the saddle and maybe one stick or so. So we'll see what happens when that time comes.

Tbrien21

FNG
I’ve tried a few different methods, WE steps, strap on steps, but I always go back to my hawk helium’s. I run the full length set of 3 with homemade amsteel daisy chains and a homemade Aider. It’s been a really solid, quiet, streamline system for me

rcb2000

WKR
Here's an example of it. You can type it into youtube and there are several videos of them being used with the WE steps and other sticks.

Just placed an order for the set from Eastern Woods Outdoors. Can’t wait to try it out this weekend

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I use a single Lone wolf climbing stick and a single step aider. I use the one stick method to get up the tree. It took some practice to get used to it, but I have it pretty down pat now. My platform is DIY, using a primal edge step and a piece of 7/8" plywood. Works great and cost me about $8.

Last year was my first year using a saddle. I did 9 hunts out of it, ranging from 2 hours to 9 hours. Some minor adjustments throughout the season and I found what was most comfortable to me. I love my saddle set up. Saddle, step, aider, and platform come in at 10lbs. It all fits in my pack, except the stick which I strap to the side or just carry. No more clunky climbing stands for me.
Can you maybe elaborate more or post pics on your DIY platform. I am planning to make one in the next couple weeks. Any tips and strategies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jake

Finch

WKR
@timekiller13 I'd also be interested in seeing your DIY platform.

I used to laugh at my buddy and him getting into saddle hunting. Well, the bug has bitten me within the past month. I like to go far on NF land and my climber and/or LW hangon kills my back. I have a Tethrd Phantom coming in the mail (bought from someone who didn't like it). I also purchased some Hawk Helium sticks. I already had LW sticks but I wanted something with a double step. I'll sell my LW sticks to recoup some costs.

Hawk helium users. Did you male suction cup break on your stick. I literally put mine together yesterday and when I went to separate the sticks, the male suction cup piece broke. Do you guys even use those for stacking the sticks together? Alternative methods?

Hawk helium users. Did you male suction cup break on your stick. I literally put mine together yesterday and when I went to separate the sticks, the male suction cup piece broke. Do you guys even use those for stacking the sticks together? Alternative methods?

I've heard the new shorter Hawks the suction cup breaks easily. I have the longer ones and haven't had issues. I used them and rubber gear ties to hold my sticks together.

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
@timekiller13 I'd also be interested in seeing your DIY platform.

I used to laugh at my buddy and him getting into saddle hunting. Well, the bug has bitten me within the past month. I like to go far on NF land and my climber and/or LW hangon kills my back. I have a Tethrd Phantom coming in the mail (bought from someone who didn't like it). I also purchased some Hawk Helium sticks. I already had LW sticks but I wanted something with a double step. I'll sell my LW sticks to recoup some costs.

Had a similar issue with hawk helium sticks.

My first big problem was separating the stick sections. Some of them I had a really tough time separating. Then when I did the suction cup piece and the screw that held it came out. So when I screwed it back in I applied a two-part apoxie to hold it together. Time will tell if it holds.

Also, I put together a DIY platform mentioned earlier with a wild edge step and 7/8' ply wood. Let me know if you want pictures and the specs.

Finch

WKR
Had a similar issue with hawk helium sticks.

My first big problem was separating the stick sections. Some of them I had a really tough time separating. Then when I did the suction cup piece and the screw that held it came out. So when I screwed it back in I applied a two-part apoxie to hold it together. Time will tell if it holds.

Also, I put together a DIY platform mentioned earlier with a wild edge step and 7/8' ply wood. Let me know if you want pictures and the specs.

Yes, I'd love to see pics.

The suction cup idea is a good one but it's a shame they break or are a bear to separate. Mine broke within 30 mins of ownership. Not a huge deal as I still like the benefit of two steps.

Finch

WKR
I've heard that about the suction cups but mine have held together pretty good. Were you guys in cold temps when they broke?

Nah...80 degrees in my garage. They were already stress fractured from the factory.