Saddle hunting and traditional bows

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
So I got myself a JX3 hybrid saddle for Xmas and have a set of wild edge steps on the way. I know I got a lot of practice to do in the yard but I was curious if anyone here hints out of a saddle. Anything a guy should know, anything you wish you knew? How is handling a traditional bow for you while in a saddle?

stump06

WKR
I shot 4 deer out of a kite last year with my recurve. To me, it was no different than with my compound. Practice isn't a bad idea tho.

I have one And have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I’m liking it better than a lock on. Although it’s not as comfy as a two man ladder. You’ll be up a tree before you know it and will have it figured out after about three climbs. Practice practice and more practice.

Saddle from tethers
Platform onalimb
Helium sticks
Homemade aider
All in a kifaru Stryker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. I was worried it might limit my shots more than a self climber. I tried a self climber the last 2 years and hated it. Seats to small and it hurts my back and hips. Spent to many years crawling across alberta on my knees welding pipe.

Thats why I went with the jx3. Good thing I got plenty of trees and room to practice on my acreage, if I'm not back out pipelining I'm hoping to try it all out on spring bear as well. Got three beautiful cinnamon bears running around the property.

Beendare

WKR
0E8E9271-9005-40E5-9EDF-F726311FAC22.jpeg
In my homemade saddle here about 2 1/2 miles in on an elk Wallow.

Crazy situation right after I snapped this photo I had a rag horn six point come in across the meadow from me going to that little tiny wallow in the top of the photo At the head Of this tiny meadow.

I was moving very slow behind the tree getting ready to draw on him and a Black bear down to my left charged into the meadow and spooked the bull. That bear was probably 15 feet from my tree and I had no idea he was even there. Bad luck.

I am adding a small platform to my set up as it gets uncomfortable in a straight hang after an hour.

stump06

WKR
I will add that I try to make sure I draw with my bow arm straight out then bend at the waist to keep the 90* form. That isn't always possible with a critter in front of you so just keep that in mind and practice accordingly. I think that is the # 1 thing that leads to misses.

356b1538a49a821aeed3aac5bdacc17a.jpg

My get up. I usually hunt with dark feathers but I’m down to last batch so I had to go with hot colors.

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 268700
In my homemade saddle here about 2 1/2 miles in on an elk Wallow.

Crazy situation right after I snapped this photo I had a rag horn six point come in across the meadow from me going to that little tiny wallow in the top of the photo At the head Of this tiny meadow.

I was moving very slow behind the tree getting ready to draw on him and a Black bear down to my left charged into the meadow and spooked the bull. That bear was probably 15 feet from my tree and I had no idea he was even there. Bad luck.

I am adding a small platform to my set up as it gets uncomfortable in a straight hang after an hour.

Thats why I went with the jx3. Its got a built in stand off so you can relax your legs and knees. It's also got a backrest, you sacrifice a couple lbs of weight but gain comfort.

Beendare

WKR
I’m not familiar with the JX3. I’m a pretty big guy 6‘4“ 240 pounds.

The general consensus is that the saddles work better for guys that have a thin build or are lighter weight. it makes sense as the heavier you are the more pressure it puts on your hips etc.

I get the hip pinch in my saddle though I’ve tried and tried to solve it. I have been playing with an idea that actually solves this but for now I’m going to try a platform.

Previously I was standing on the top rung of my hawk sticks or a branch

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider

The general consensus is that the saddles work better for guys that have a thin build or are lighter weight. it makes sense as the heavier you are the more pressure it puts on your hips etc.

I get the hip pinch in my saddle though I’ve tried and tried to solve it. I have been playing with an idea that actually solves this but for now I’m going to try a platform.

Check out the JX3 hybrid then. 0 hip pinch. It's like the lazy boy of the sky hahaha

I’m a pretty big guy myself - have you looked in to the Hawk HSP platform? It attaches right to the top of your helium stick. I like mine a whole lot more than standing on the little steps. It’s still pretty compact too.

I too had hip/quad pinch. I found that if lengthen the bridge and the tether is takes the pressure off.

I hunted rifle from a saddle last year. I found it really hard on my ankles to be still, but I was using a pair of wild edge steps as a Platform. Had to adjust position constantly, and whitetail hunting is all about being still. Lol.

Also seemed like a lot of work/noise/fidgeting compared to my old lone wolf hand climber, but the trees are pretty darn straight where I hunt. It was super nice on the back and nice to be able to work around the tree.

I was a saddle hunter for 4 years up until this year. I would agree with everyone when they say practice as much as you can from it. I ended up straying away from it for a couple different reasons. I run a stand now and I still wear my saddle in case I need to face the tree, but having the tree between you and the animal is awesome when it comes to the animal not seeing you, but I have ran into multiple situations these past two years where I couldn’t get a shot due to having the tree in front of me. I even put my bridge super low, but even when using a stand it seems you don’t have enough room between you and the tree. Animals never read the script, and everytime I had one do something I wasn’t exactly set up for it never worked out in my favor. Having the tree to your back with a longer bow does make you more vulnerable to being seen, but allows you to have a better chance of executing the shot. With a compound I think the saddle is $$$. Trying to maneuver your 60” bow over your bridge with the tree in front of you is a pain in the butt, a couple failures and it won’t be worth it. Yes you can turn 340 degrees to the weak side with your bow in hand but that honestly got me busted just as much. Everyone is different, but the cons for me slowly starting to out weigh the pros.

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I was a saddle hunter for 4 years up until this year. I would agree with everyone when they say practice as much as you can from it. I ended up straying away from it for a couple different reasons. I run a stand now and I still wear my saddle in case I need to face the tree, but having the tree between you and the animal is awesome when it comes to the animal not seeing you, but I have ran into multiple situations these past two years where I couldn’t get a shot due to having the tree in front of me. I even put my bridge super low, but even when using a stand it seems you don’t have enough room between you and the tree. Animals never read the script, and everytime I had one do something I wasn’t exactly set up for it never worked out in my favor. Having the tree to your back with a longer bow does make you more vulnerable to being seen, but allows you to have a better chance of executing the shot. With a compound I think the saddle is $$$. Trying to maneuver your 60” bow over your bridge with the tree in front of you is a pain in the butt, a couple failures and it won’t be worth it. Yes you can turn 340 degrees to the weak side with your bow in hand but that honestly got me busted just as much. Everyone is different, but the cons for me slowly starting to out weigh the pros.
Thanks trey, this is what I'm looking for. Good pr bad I want to hear people's experiences with trad gear and a saddle. I'll definitely be working on different shots in my yard before hunting season arrives.