Saddle hunting and traditional bows

Thanks trey, this is what I'm looking for. Good pr bad I want to hear people's experiences with trad gear and a saddle. I'll definitely be working on different shots in my yard before hunting season arrives.
Absolutely! My moto for the past 4 years was get the deer within range is the hardest part, then make the shot happen. This year it’s going to be, set up for the shot to happen, and hope the deer comes in.

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
That JX3 looks really good and no doubt would solve my hip pinch.

heavy though.

Depends on what you consider heavy. Last year I was carrying a self climber on my back and a pack on my front. Way heavier.

Most I hike in is a couple clicks, and the jx3 can serve as a frame pack.

I'll trade a few lbs for comfort and the ability to sit without fidgeting.

Tartan

WKR
That JX3 looks really good and no doubt would solve my hip pinch.

heavy though.

I'm a bigger guy too, about the same size as you 6'3" 245. I've found a 2 panel saddle to be much better at reducing hip pinch. You can lay them out so that there isn't material or webbing running over your hip.

I have one that I made as kind of a hybrid between the lattitude and the tactisaddle. Much more comfortable than the kestrel I used to use. I'm sure it's not as comfortable as a jx3, but I'm not usually doing all day sits. I'm willing to compromise for weight and packability since most of my saddle hunting is run and gun. Half the time I end up on the ground.

IMG_5505.jpgIMG_5540.jpg

I’m not familiar with the JX3. I’m a pretty big guy 6‘4“ 240 pounds.

The general consensus is that the saddles work better for guys that have a thin build or are lighter weight. it makes sense as the heavier you are the more pressure it puts on your hips etc.

I get the hip pinch in my saddle though I’ve tried and tried to solve it. I have been playing with an idea that actually solves this but for now I’m going to try a platform.

Previously I was standing on the top rung of my hawk sticks or a branch

Ever sat in a kestrel? Not the lite one. Or a double panel? I know a guy who has several brands, and that kestrel is his favorite by far. He is 6-2 probably 240 and has done all day stuff with it. If I were to get another I would go with a 2 panel for the versatility.

Last edited:

trad_zk85

Lil-Rokslider
I was a rookie in the saddle last year. I run a 60” recurve. I had to practice not hitting my string on the bridge in certain situations. Doing your best to set up on the most probable area the deer will be is key. Stickbow maybe is a little more cumbersome in awkward shooting positions. Mostly because your form needs to remain perfect. IMO the mobility and packability of the saddle system pros far out weight the cons. I’m running a cruzr xc saddle. 4 noivx short sticks and a predator platform. Super light and packable. Good luck!

Something I noticed with my shooting from elevated position. Maybe it is just my form breaking down a bit or something, not sure. I tend to shoot left when shooting steeper downhil shots, I cant my bow a little more and it seems to correct the issue. Like I said, it could just be me though. Anyone else see that?

Beendare

WKR
Depends on what you consider heavy. Last year I was carrying a self climber on my back and a pack on my front. Way heavier.

Most I hike in is a couple clicks, and the jx3 can serve as a frame pack.

I'll trade a few lbs for comfort and the ability to sit without fidgeting.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. once I started getting a little bit uncomfortable in my saddle I was moving around Way more than I would in a tree stand

I have a climber. But I can’t imagine carrying that thing over hill and Dale in the mountains 2 1/2 miles which is what I was doing in elk season the last couple years. it would have been bad enough getting an elk out of there let alone carrying that climber along with it

I had a great experience with the saddle and trad bow. Just always make sure there isnt an upper tree limb that will block your bow movement and if you get in a really wide tree, its very difficult to shoot in front of you if you cant your bow.

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I had a great experience with the saddle and trad bow. Just always make sure there isnt an upper tree limb that will block your bow movement and if you get in a really wide tree, its very difficult to shoot in front of you if you cant your bow.

I plan on prepping a few sites early this summer. Cleaning up limbs, cutting shooting lanes etc. I've been so busy I haven't had time to even go play with it yet.

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Good thread.

At the risk of sounding like a whiner, these saddles might not be for me. I have a bad hip which might be part of it.

I’ve tried 2 commercial saddles and spent hours customizing one I built myself for a better fit with less pinch. I can get about 2 1/2 hours in the one I built but I don’t feel like that’s long enough.

At 14#, i can pack a LW stand and 2 sticks. My typical all in treestad setup is 18#. The downside is the metal, it’s almost impossible to set up silently.

I think I can build a seat type saddle at about 4 pounds that I am seriously considering... though Treys comments are right on about facing the tree- a truth the “Saddles are better” guys never mention.

Im still looking for my perfect setup. I think the Hawk sticks will be part of it.

The hip pain is specifically why I chose the jx3. I'm not sure I would consider facing the tree a disadvantage. Much easier to hide your profile when it's behind the tree.

Ecru has tradeoffs I suppose. Guess I'll find out this year. If the saddle doesn't work I'll be solely a ground hunter.

I’ve been hunting out of mine for the first time this spring over bear bait. After doing some stump shooting out of it, it’s surprisingly easier than I thought it would be, and I’m using a 66” bow.

Btaylor

WKR
random thoughts;

I’ve been using stands more and more on the Mountain hunts to get a good close shot with my recurve.

I like the idea of it being light and compact of course as it’s easier to carry but there are also other reasons.

A saddle can be used in practically any tree.

Many of those best mountain or semi flat spots have bad wind conditions making it conducive for the animal to scent check the area first-They wind you in a ground blind.

I like the fact that with a saddle I can do minimal trimming and not leave the evidence of a tree stand being set up at some remote spot. Saddles don’t leave much evidence of that.

I love that I can be hiking around and then find a spot that I can quickly set up with minimal effort in a saddle and hunt it for a few hours. A guy really cannot do that with a tree stand.

There is so much competition in the woods these days the last thing I want to do is clue other guys in on a spot.

Planning to take my platform this year in case I need to climb somewhere.

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been hunting out of mine for the first time this spring over bear bait. After doing some stump shooting out of it, it’s surprisingly easier than I thought it would be, and I’m using a 66” bow.
Thats what I like to hear. I got a week left of building beds and getting my greenhouse going and then I'll have my honey do list completed...... for now hahaha. Garden and greenhouse is a must though as we can about 400 quarts a year.

Soon I'll be hanging out of tree and practicing though.