Saddle Hunting Lightweight... Huh?

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I know there are tons of mods I can (and may do) to my saddle hunting gear - but lighter weight - uh not seeing it.

Here is my set up:
Tetrd Mantis saddle
Tetrd Backstrap
Tetrd Tether
Muddy Linemans belt
Tetrd Platform
4 Hawk Helium Sticks and straps
Tethrd Hys strap

All together right at 20 lbs... My X Stand X1 is 18 lbs.

So where is the lightweight in saddle hunting??

I know most SH'ers are using 3 sticks plus aiders - so there maybe 2.75 lbs (stick plus stock strap). But then again my X Stand can climb to whatever height I want - I have no limits.

I know you can not use stock straps and that might save you 2 lbs (probably closer to 1.5).

Aside from that I am scratching my head and asking "where's the beef?" (lightweight). It seems like the same ole weight.

So my gear load to "hang hunt" (climber, saddle, or hang stand) is gonna be pushing 35-40 lbs. 20 for the hanging gear, 5 lbs of call, headlamp, knife, gps, batteries, rainsuit, etc.; 5 lbs for pack; 3 lbs of add clothing; 2-4 lbs of food and water. Easily 40 with bow (or gun). For that same load I can 3-4 day mountain elk hunt!

What am I missing?

For me, a big benefit it the way it carries. Granted, I can get to my desired height 9/10 times with 3 sticks and a single step aider. Other than using LW sticks, my setup is the same.

I wear the saddle in. My platform goes in my Exo pack. My sticks get strapped to the pack.

Much more user friendly and quite to walk through the woods/brush and I don’t have to worry about my stand rubbing a hole in my pack (which is almost did)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesfromky

WKR
A lot of the weight savings comes in the way you climb. Single stick with a mini stick, SRT, etc. I have 3 shikar sticks with the mini thin straps and a 3 step aider. Pretty easy to get to 20ish feet with 4.5lbs. The are nice to pack as well.

But, to me, the weight is just a bonus for the mobility and ability to get into a lot of different trees. I have never used a climber, so can't compare directly. Not sure how the do on smaller trees or trees with forks and branches.

ozyclint

WKR
My DIY system is right on 11lbs.
Rock harness, DIY saddle, DIY ring of steps, 20m of 11mm rope, associated ropes for tethers etc, 3x carabiners, throw bag. I use SRT for climbing.

11lb portable tree stand. Got to love it.

peterk123

WKR
The weight is the least important thing. I get a kick out of us that hang in a tree waiting for a deer freaking about weight. Especially when most tree hunters probably hike less than a quarter mile to their spot. Then I come on to this site and read about the maniacs hiking in with sixty pound packs for ten miles :)

Like somebody mentioned above, it is about how compact the setup is. I use a rock climbing harness, and a homemade sitdrag as my saddle setup. I wear it in, and wear it out. I use four wild edge steps to climb (with aiders). The fourth step has 6 bullman steps threaded on there, which becomes my platform. This climbing system gets me over twenty feet up and weighs five pounds or so. But the best part is that it all fits in my daypack. It allows me to easily walk through the thickest nastiest growth in the woods with no effort.

cjdewese

WKR
I've been looking into it a lot as well. Not many guys out here on the west coast use them but for my area it would allow me so much more cover.

Isn't some of the weight savings coming from the fact that a lot of that gear you would also use for a stand if you are using a harness for safety at all?

Still new to the idea of stand hunting and saddle hunting so feel free to enlighten me if I am incorrect. :)

mvmnts

WKR
Not going to go into why you're bringing all that stuff for a day hunt. But the biggest standout is you're using heavy sticks. I'd ditch those. If you like sticks there's Shikars, but there's lots of ways to get up into a tree, and sticks are the heaviest method by far. It's all depends on how much trouble you want to go through. SRT "single rope technique" is perobably the slickest, but it involves tossing a weighted bag over a tree limb like when you're bearbagging. To me that is an instant deal breaker. I'd spend some time on saddlehunter.com forums or on youtube and see what's out there. This year I'm going to try 4 wild edge stepps with the knaider/swaider aids as a happy medium between usability and weight. About 5.5lbs for 20ft. Over the 10 my lone wolf sticks weight. Plus your saddle setup is way more comfortable and way more versatile than that big clunky climber. If you hunt an area with big straight trees then just use that, but otherwise, I like to be able to get up most any tree, not be limited to the perfect tree.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Rock harness, DIY saddle, DIY ring of steps, 20m of 11mm rope, associated ropes for tethers etc, 3x carabiners, throw bag. I use SRT for climbing.

Forgive my ignorance... What is an SRT?

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
The weight is the least important thing. I get a kick out of us that hang in a tree waiting for a deer freaking about weight. Especially when most tree hunters probably hike less than a quarter mile to their spot. Then I come on to this site and read about the maniacs hiking in with sixty pound packs for ten miles :)

Like somebody mentioned above, it is about how compact the setup is. I use a rock climbing harness, and a homemade sitdrag as my saddle setup. I wear it in, and wear it out. I use four wild edge steps to climb (with aiders). The fourth step has 6 bullman steps threaded on there, which becomes my platform. This climbing system gets me over twenty feet up and weighs five pounds or so. But the best part is that it all fits in my daypack. It allows me to easily walk through the thickest nastiest growth in the woods with no effort.
I hunt public lands. And even in some of the small parcels my hike in to accommodate not spoking the deer can be 1-3 miles.

I am also a beat up 57 y/o... Trust me in my younger days weight was no matter. A couple of hundred lawn dart parachute jumps, lots of heavy weights and banging on my body... Weight is an issue!

On the points of compact... Still not getting it. My sticks and saddle bags are more bulky and clumsy than my 5 day very cold/nasty weather elk bags. You got this big wad saddle and tethers and belts, big bulky metal sticks... Its like carrying a freaking mortar kit - baseplate and all.

A lot of the places I hunt (not all) wearing my saddle in is not viable. Either is a long walk or I am busting briars and don't want to get it torn up like my pants.

Again, I am in "huh" ville with all of these "positives".

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider

Can you pass me some of your mojo (or links) to some DIY lighter saddles? I use to do some climbing and originally was going to do the harness thing,, but for simplicity and speed of learning decided to just buy into the tethrd system.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Not going to go into why you're bringing all that stuff for a day hunt. But the biggest standout is you're using heavy sticks. I'd ditch those. If you like sticks there's Shikars, but there's lots of ways to get up into a tree, and sticks are the heaviest method by far. It's all depends on how much trouble you want to go through. SRT "single rope technique" is perobably the slickest, but it involves tossing a weighted bag over a tree limb like when you're bearbagging. To me that is an instant deal breaker. I'd spend some time on saddlehunter.com forums or on youtube and see what's out there. This year I'm going to try 4 wild edge stepps with the knaider/swaider aids as a happy medium between usability and weight. About 5.5lbs for 20ft. Over the 10 my lone wolf sticks weight. Plus your saddle setup is way more comfortable and way more versatile than that big clunky climber. If you hunt an area with big straight trees then just use that, but otherwise, I like to be able to get up most any tree, not be limited to the perfect tree.
What all am I bringing for a day hunt you think is onerous? A head lamp? Well the woods I hunt are daaaaaarrrrkkkk at night... so think I will keep that one. A call I could ditch, but since it is ounces, I would hate myself for having an active buck that a call might have brought into range. A knife? Not an option...Rainsuit? maybe but we get bad T storms roll in all the time. Batteries? 3 AAA, and 3 AA - again not an option as I have had my gps and head lamp die on me... Won't go there again. GPS... sometimes, but a lot of the routes in I need it to not stumble into my bedding areas.

Food? Water? If I am going to be on a stand all day - gonna need some.

I totally agree on the sticks. I was never a fan of them, but everyone seems to indicate they are da bomb for saddle or stands. That said, I am having no love affair with them. Actually have already put my LW's on the market as I pretty much just don't like them.

peterk123

WKR
I hunt public lands. And even in some of the small parcels my hike in to accommodate not spoking the deer can be 1-3 miles.

I am also a beat up 57 y/o... Trust me in my younger days weight was no matter. A couple of hundred lawn dart parachute jumps, lots of heavy weights and banging on my body... Weight is an issue!

On the points of compact... Still not getting it. My sticks and saddle bags are more bulky and clumsy than my 5 day very cold/nasty weather elk bags. You got this big wad saddle and tethers and belts, big bulky metal sticks... Its like carrying a freaking mortar kit - baseplate and all.

A lot of the places I hunt (not all) wearing my saddle in is not viable. Either is a long walk or I am busting briars and don't want to get it torn up like my pants.

Again, I am in "huh" ville with all of these "positives".
What works for one may not for others. I'm no spring chicken neither. But at age 53, I will take my saddle setup all day long over my climber. Heck, my climbing setup and platform fits into a bag that is roughly 4"x6"x10". It's pretty compact. And the saddle is like wearing a safety harness for a tree stand. Actually it is probably less bulky.

ozyclint

WKR
It's just a bit of a copy of the kestrel I think. I made it from 2" seatbelt webbing and 500D cordura. It doesn't have any leg straps and must be used with a rock harness. The rock harness is for access up and down the rope. The saddle is for comfort when in position hunting. I'm always attached via rock harness. I can have a little slack in the rock harness tether when sitting in the saddle but not enough slack that it doesn't catch me almost instantly if there is a fall, thus avoiding dynamic shock loads. All my ropes are static ropes.

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
Forgive my ignorance because I haven't hunted from a stand in a few years....why is everyone using sticks instead of traditional screw in steps? Is it just ease of putting on the tree? Seems like steps would be way easier to pack in.

Northpark

WKR
Forgive my ignorance because I haven't hunted from a stand in a few years....why is everyone using sticks instead of traditional screw in steps? Is it just ease of putting on the tree? Seems like steps would be way easier to pack in.
Illegal in most if not all state or federal lands would be my reason.

ozyclint

WKR
Here's a quick pic of my setup. If you look closely you can figure out how it works. The main climbing rope is what my rock harness anchors to. In this tree it simply goes over a fork and back down to the base of the tree and is anchored around the base. Makes rope retrieval super easy.

As you can see there is a prusik on the saddle tether on the tree, a prusik on the side of the saddle for bridge adjustment and taut line hitches on the 550 para cord that attaches the back rest. The back rest is adjustable for length and angle. Look carefully and you'll see the taut line hitches on both the bridge and the line itselt to the back rest. All these make it very adjustable for comfort.
IMG_20200815_153150.jpg

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
You have a lot of weight tied up in your climbing method. Lots of ways to get up a tree. I use wild edge steps and no platform. My total setup is maybe 10 pounds. Some guys get way up there with one stick or no sticks. Some guys use aiders and all kinds of variations on that. Most of those are lighter and more compact than the “4-sticks” method.

I forgo some comfort to not have to carry a bulky pack. Sticks are the last method I would use. I hate tall or long stuff strapped to my back and trying to bust brush in the thick Mississippi woods.

If a climber works for you and you can get to where you need to be to kill deer, use it.
I don’t see it as a either/or or a “us vs. them” kind of thing. It’s just a way to get into a tree and kill deer. For me it is the easiest thing logistically. And I like to still hunt and scout. With this I can comfortably still-hunt, but if I find a spot I feel like I should set up an ambush, I can just pull the steps and saddle out, and be up a tree without re-planning the whole hunt.

Gobbler

FNG
Reading all the posts and the other threads, it’s possible saddle hunting is not for you. But for reference I fit my whole saddle kit (other than the sticks) into a Kifaru guide lid with room to spare. I don’t use a platform and my .02 you don’t need one. Then I have day gear and layers in another bag similar in size to a guide lid . With the sticks included this all takes up very little space and it’s easy to glide thru the woods. My guess is your just not used to the new gear and the routine. Efficiency will come with repetition.

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ditch the sticks. Watch some videos on “one sticking”. Install a cam cleat. Practice a couple times. Bam. You’ll never want to climb a tree another way again. Only thing is you’ll want to rappel down. So add 30ft of Oplux to what you need.