Saddle Hunting Lightweight... Huh?

I actually just bought some Hawk Helium mini sticks, and was debating on buying a couple WE stepps or Primal steps with a plywood insert to use as the platform. So for sticks and platform it'll be maybe 15lbs. I'd say that's pretty light as an entire treestand. Other than the saddle and my ropes, I wouldn't have much other gear for just the day. A small pack with food, headlamp, knife, maybe an extra layer of clothes, and that's it. I travel light.

You have a lot of weight tied up in your climbing method. Lots of ways to get up a tree. I use wild edge steps and no platform. My total setup is maybe 10 pounds. Some guys get way up there with one stick or no sticks. Some guys use aiders and all kinds of variations on that. Most of those are lighter and more compact than the “4-sticks” method.

I forgo some comfort to not have to carry a bulky pack. Sticks are the last method I would use. I hate tall or long stuff strapped to my back and trying to bust brush in the thick Mississippi woods.

If a climber works for you and you can get to where you need to be to kill deer, use it.
I don’t see it as a either/or or a “us vs. them” kind of thing. It’s just a way to get into a tree and kill deer. For me it is the easiest thing logistically. And I like to still hunt and scout. With this I can comfortably still-hunt, but if I find a spot I feel like I should set up an ambush, I can just pull the steps and saddle out, and be up a tree without re-planning the whole hunt.
When you say you use WE stepps and no platform, do you mean you use the WE steps as the platform?

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
When you say you use WE stepps and no platform, do you mean you use the WE steps as the platform?
Yes, I put a couple steps next to each other. I’d like a platform someday, but I got into it for the minimalist approach, and I’m making it work for now. Like I said, I’m ok sacrificing a little comfort in exchange to be able to still-hunt if I choose.

slick

WKR
Is anyone doing this over elk wallows?

That’s my quasi-plan for the (dismal) local elk herd. Thinking a saddle- can run and gun in the mornings and sit wallows mid day. Season opens early while they are still prone to water often (hot) and wallowing activity is still a go (pre-rut) Aug 29- Sept 7ish.

Sorry to hi-jack

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
First off remove anything that you will carry regardless of if its with a saddle or tree stand, Ie pack, headlamp, gps, all of that because that is weight your going to carry no matter the method you climb with.
Now with your stand you have to also factor in the weight of your safety harness and negate the weight of the tree strap/tether, as you will need this for both the saddle and treestand. So if your tree stand is 18lbs add 2 lbs for a safety harness and then remove the weight of your tether from your saddle set up, as you will also need that to attach your safety harness to with a tree stand.
Now you are comparing your average saddle setup to the lightest weight tree stand made, your trying to compare two different things. You should be comparing the lightest weight saddle set up to the lightest weight tree stand. It would be like comparing the lightest weight saddle to a ladder stand.... It just doesn’t make much since.

Ok, I know there are tons of mods I can (and may do) to my saddle hunting gear - but lighter weight - uh not seeing it.

Here is my set up:
Tetrd Mantis saddle
Tetrd Backstrap
Tetrd Tether
Muddy Linemans belt
Tetrd Platform
4 Hawk Helium Sticks and straps
Tethrd Hys strap

All together right at 20 lbs... My X Stand X1 is 18 lbs.

So where is the lightweight in saddle hunting??

I know most SH'ers are using 3 sticks plus aiders - so there maybe 2.75 lbs (stick plus stock strap). But then again my X Stand can climb to whatever height I want - I have no limits.

I know you can not use stock straps and that might save you 2 lbs (probably closer to 1.5).

Aside from that I am scratching my head and asking "where's the beef?" (lightweight). It seems like the same ole weight.

So my gear load to "hang hunt" (climber, saddle, or hang stand) is gonna be pushing 35-40 lbs. 20 for the hanging gear, 5 lbs of call, headlamp, knife, gps, batteries, rainsuit, etc.; 5 lbs for pack; 3 lbs of add clothing; 2-4 lbs of food and water. Easily 40 with bow (or gun). For that same load I can 3-4 day mountain elk hunt!

What am I missing?
I'm also looking at that,but think about using climbing spikes on my boots just to cut out the weight from steps.

ncstewart

WKR
Forgive my ignorance because I haven't hunted from a stand in a few years....why is everyone using sticks instead of traditional screw in steps? Is it just ease of putting on the tree? Seems like steps would be way easier to pack in.

Sticks are much easier and then as said screw in steps are illegal on public lands anyway. Also I used them as a kid when you could but they suck to carry and are slower going up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I put a couple steps next to each other. I’d like a platform someday, but I got into it for the minimalist approach, and I’m making it work for now. Like I said, I’m ok sacrificing a little comfort in exchange to be able to still-hunt if I choose.
In all honesty, I've never actually hunted from a saddle. I've owned my saddle for a week and all I've done is sit in the back yard using a ratchet strap haha but I don't see the point in a $200 platform like everyone raves about. I think I'd be happy as long as I had something to rest my feet on, as most of the weight is being put in the saddle anyways. That's my reason for going for the less expensive WE stepps.

Saddle hunting is just the new kool-aid. lol

Nothing beats my lone wolf for safety and speed getting up a tree.

My buddy was trying to school me and have a contest on how much quicker his saddle setup was. He was pretty disappointment with the results of said contest... lol

*zap*

WKR
I use a thophyline ambush and some plastic strap on steps on a strap. Pretty light even compared to my hand climber.

PMcGee

WKR
Saddle hunting is just the new kool-aid. lol

Nothing beats my lone wolf for safety and speed getting up a tree.

My buddy was trying to school me and have a contest on how much quicker his saddle setup was. He was pretty disappointment with the results of said contest... lol

I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
There are a couple reasons I prefer the saddle over a lock on . First one is you don't have to have a perfect tree.. I can hunt from the perfect location regardless of how the tree is shaped or leaning.. with my sticks strapped on my pack I can slip through brush much more quietly than I can with a climber or lock on dragging through the brush.. I've never weighed my set up but its less bulky than my climber..

There are a couple reasons I prefer the saddle over a lock on . First one is you don't have to have a perfect tree.. I can hunt from the perfect location regardless of how the tree is shaped or leaning.. with my sticks strapped on my pack I can slip through brush much more quietly than I can with a climber or lock on dragging through the brush.. I've never weighed my set up but its less bulky than my climber..
I agree with this completely. When I was debating on whether I should buy a hang-on stand or a saddle, I wasn't basing the research off of how quickly I could get set up. I was mainly wanting the versatility the saddle has. With a climber, you need a straight tree with no branches. With a hang-on, you can get up in trees with branches, but it still needs to be sort of straight. With a saddle, you're not really limited at all. You can basically get up in any tree and still be comfortable.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
Mobility and versatility are the main reasons I'm going with a saddle. If your primary reason was weight savings, as others have said, you could trim weight in almost every aspect of your saddle setup.

With that said, I don't see the saddle as the cure to all hunting scenarios. On out-of-state hunts, my climber and ground blind will still go in the truck.

Kjackgold

FNG
Right now I am running a similar system but only 3 sticks with aiders. Next year I am planning to go to a single stick method using a Eastern Woods Outdoors system. This will allow me to leave the platform at home and only have 1 stick. The major benefit that i have found by using a saddle is that I have the ability to go up any tree that i would like quietly. I used a climber and it never failed that tree limbs and things would hit the metal and make noise. I would also have to find a straight tree with no branches. I no longer have either of these issues and I almost never hunt the same tree 2 times in a year. Saddle hunting has been a game changer for me.

WCB

WKR
Weight is so close and like someone said 99.9% of guys are within 400 yards of their vehicle. I have never not been able to hunt a spot due to tree issues with a hang on. Unless I have had to trim a branch or two 3 or 4 sticks and a hang on is from my back to hung in the tree in 5minutes (timed) hung two hang ons this year in basically the same tree 8 minutes. So time isn't a consideration.

Climbers are definitely limited but between a good light weight hand on setup and saddles it is a matter of preference and comfort. Especially hunting a lot in single digit to below zero whether hang ons for me are hands down more comfortable.

Ok, I know there are tons of mods I can (and may do) to my saddle hunting gear - but lighter weight - uh not seeing it.

Here is my set up:
Tetrd Mantis saddle
Tetrd Backstrap
Tetrd Tether
Muddy Linemans belt
Tetrd Platform
Tethrd Hys strap

I know most SH'ers are using 3 sticks plus aiders - so there maybe 2.75 lbs (stick plus stock strap). But then again my X Stand can climb to whatever height I want - I have no limits.

I know you can not use stock straps and that might save you 2 lbs (probably closer to 1.5).

Aside from that I am scratching my head and asking "where's the beef?" (lightweight). It seems like the same ole weight.

So my gear load to "hang hunt" (climber, saddle, or hang stand) is gonna be pushing 35-40 lbs. 20 for the hanging gear, 5 lbs of call, headlamp, knife, gps, batteries, rainsuit, etc.; 5 lbs for pack; 3 lbs of add clothing; 2-4 lbs of food and water. Easily 40 with bow (or gun). For that same load I can 3-4 day mountain elk hunt!

What am I missing?

Honestly I just don't get the whole appeal of saddles. It just seems to me to be the latest, trendy gimmick to separate hunters from their money. Right up there with commercial ground blinds. (Buy a tent and brush it in. Why not just use the brush?) Saddles to me look uncomfortable, and require an exorbitant amount of time to setup and far more equipment than just a climbing stand or hang on stand. I'm sure the saddle proponents see it differently but I don't see them as either lightweight or convenient.

bwidrick

Lil-Rokslider
Switched from Lone Wolf hand climber to saddle with LF sticks this year. Definitely slower climb, but much more compact & quieter going thru woods, far more comfortable and more versatile on tree selection. Switched the top step on the top stick to a mini-platform (Scout by Out Ona Limb).

Was cumbersome the first few times, but love it now that I've gotten a process down.

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider

Here is my set up:
Tetrd Mantis saddle
Tetrd Backstrap
Tetrd Tether
Muddy Linemans belt
Tetrd Platform
Tethrd Hys strap

What am I missing?
Ditch the sticks and start one sticking and rappeling. Fast and no height limit.

I find a straight tree and use my lone wolf hand climber.

If I see something I want to hunt another day that doesn't work for the climber I bring the assault hand on with sticks and rope modifications.

I am up a tree way faster with my hand climber than anyone could be with a saddle and I have a place to stand and sit not to mention I dont feel like I have a wedgie all damn day....

Just saying...