Saddle Hunting Lightweight... Huh?

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly I just don't get the whole appeal of saddles. It just seems to me to be the latest, trendy gimmick to separate hunters from their money. Right up there with commercial ground blinds. (Buy a tent and brush it in. Why not just use the brush?) Saddles to me look uncomfortable, and require an exorbitant amount of time to setup and far more equipment than just a climbing stand or hang on stand. I'm sure the saddle proponents see it differently but I don't see them as either lightweight or convenient.
I thought the same. Had a nice climber and a hang-on. But after I got use to saddle hunting I love it. It may be a gimmick, but it is one I will stick with. I am a big guy and those small lightweight tree stands were just miserable for me. Saddles aren't.

DWinVA

WKR
They’re no joke but a very affective tool for hunting. I’ve killed all 8 of my deer this season out of a saddle & a few of them from trees that couldn’t be hunted out of any other way. My total setup is just shy of 10 lbs, very comfortable and a dream to pack into the woods.

I have pictures & descriptions on my Instagram account @dwinva24.

God Bless

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
You haters are hilarious.

I just sold my lone wolf sit n climb. I’m keeping my Alpha hang on for the occasions where I need reminded how much it sucks carrying a stand in.

TheGDog

WKR
Then I come on to this site and read about the maniacs hiking in with sixty pound packs for ten miles :)
It's not like any of us wants to have to hike-in that damn far. It's just that in most places in SoCal, they purposefully deny you easy access to places. You can access them.. these places... that maybe even have roads even leading right up to where you want to go within them. But you.... me.... and the guy next door?... none of us has the "privilege" to be allowed the permission to *drive* into there. But you know... you're free to pay more for your parking sticker which allows you to park your vehicle on the side of the few open roads in the Natl Forest, and make the super long hike-in to your spot. That is... if they haven't already closed the whole f**king road because the weather decided to do anything other than be hot for once.

Major bone of contention I have with D11. They told me CA DOT is in charge of deciding to close-up roads and stuff. So signed up for that automated alerts of road closures and re-openings for CA DOT... and regularly receive updates from it... but did that message about Angeles Hwy being closed hit my inbox and stop me from blowing thru $50+ bucks of gas at 3am+ only to then find out when i get there that the road is closed at Mt Wilson? NO!!!

So D11 Proper? can kiss my entire *ss! If it wasn't for the fact that I've had run-in with black bears in there 7 miles deep, I'd never go back. But I do only because I figure I should at least *try* to see if I can fill my bear tag.

This recent bout of being denied at butt-thirty in the morning has me realizing that I probably need to just write-off D11 entirely, and try to scout D14 for bear next year. It's too risky to try to plan on entering into D11. You never know when in the hell they're gonna EFF you over from even being able to get in there...you know... something you PAID to be able to do!!!

Last edited:

Kjackgold

FNG
I personally love the saddle for me it is much more comfortable than a hang on. I also like having a tree between me and the deer as it approaches. My setup is about 10lbs for everything but weight is not a huge concern for me. I go about a mile average and if I plan to get a deer out a couple lbs is not a big deal. I like that I don't make any noise carrying a stand on my back hitting brush as I scout my way in.

TheGDog

WKR
What are the limitations in terms of the diameter of tree these setups will allow you to setup in?

I suppose specifically, when speaking about using a saddle... what?.... it would probably be the straps of the climbing sticks that have the most limitation to the diameter?

I'd like to try hunting from up in a tree... but in all the videos I've seen, they only make use of these types of trees I don't see around here.... that aren't very wide and are very straight and don't seem to have a lot of gnarly branches hanging off their trunks. But in the area I'm considering doing it... it's mostly just twisted gnarled old large Oaks... in narrow thin regions on a map... nearish to the trail line... nestled within a vast sea of Chapparral... and tall grasses.

Want to know if you *have* to find a straight thin tree, like I always see in the videos? Or is it possible to use them on Girthy old twisted Oaks?

What all am I bringing for a day hunt you think is onerous? A head lamp? Well the woods I hunt are daaaaaarrrrkkkk at night... so think I will keep that one. A call I could ditch, but since it is ounces, I would hate myself for having an active buck that a call might have brought into range. A knife? Not an option...Rainsuit? maybe but we get bad T storms roll in all the time. Batteries? 3 AAA, and 3 AA - again not an option as I have had my gps and head lamp die on me... Won't go there again. GPS... sometimes, but a lot of the routes in I need it to not stumble into my bedding areas.

Food? Water? If I am going to be on a stand all day - gonna need some.

I totally agree on the sticks. I was never a fan of them, but everyone seems to indicate they are da bomb for saddle or stands. That said, I am having no love affair with them. Actually have already put my LW's on the market as I pretty much just don't like them.
You can use climbing spurs and eliminate all the ropes and sticks and everything else. All you need then is a saddle, platform, tether and linemans belt.

What are the limitations in terms of the diameter of tree these setups will allow you to setup in?

I suppose specifically, when speaking about using a saddle... what?.... it would probably be the straps of the climbing sticks that have the most limitation to the diameter?

I'd like to try hunting from up in a tree... but in all the videos I've seen, they only make use of these types of trees I don't see around here.... that aren't very wide and are very straight and don't seem to have a lot of gnarly branches hanging off their trunks. But in the area I'm considering doing it... it's mostly just twisted gnarled old large Oaks... in narrow thin regions on a map... nearish to the trail line... nestled within a vast sea of Chapparral... and tall grasses.

Want to know if you *have* to find a straight thin tree, like I always see in the videos? Or is it possible to use them on Girthy old twisted Oaks?

Depends on your climbing method, tree diameter does get too big at some point. Would you be using branches to climb up the tree? Keep in mind you need an open area to shoot out of as well. A scrub oak would probably not work the best, but in the right scenario you might be fine. Generally with a saddle your going to want to have a straight section of trunk to swivel around, however if using it to post up over something like a water source standing on a branch for a platform with a hole to shoot out of can still work.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
For archery, mostly I spot-stalk but If I plan to get up a tree to sit good trails, water sources etc...very effective.

Used a variety of tree stands over the past 25 years, fixed and climbers. Still have LW Alpha-sticks, LW HC.
But prefer the saddle the last 3 years; super comfortable, portable, quick set up and SAFE. Yes, Just another tool in the equipment arsenal. But gives me good options to get off ground, get my scent off ground and tree stand hunting works out west. Using here in AZ this 2020 holiday season now...

The lightest total weight that I can get to is 11-lbs, for run-gun as I go hunts.
-single stick with bottom double step, 2 step custom aider, custom 4"x12" platform as upper step, 2.25-lbs
-Aero Flex Saddle w/needed gear 5.5-lbs
-40' of 9mm rope/rappel/attachment system is 3.25-lbs (incl 7' linemans rope, retrieval/lift cord in saddle pouch)

if longer sits anticipated, will add platforms which increases total weight packed in.
And still carry/use single stick as additional off2side support of either platform base below.
-LW HC 5.5-lbs, use seat climber as base. Quick up tree compared to single stickin'.
-Predator XL 4-lbs

Attachments

• 12202020.saddle system.JPG
    12202020.saddle system.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.

for me, the larger trees limit my vision and shooting zones. Larger as I can't get my hands/arms past sides of the tree. I've been in some large trees as these were situated best near trails. But I use versa strap attachment system for single stick and Predator platforms. So I loop another versa strap as an extension. Versa straps save weight, quiet too as no buckles. Looped amsteel ropes would work also, but haven't used the amsteel rope systems.

twisted, knarled old oaks would be very difficult...effects of gravity once you're up.
I've been up a few twisted oaks here in AZ on my non-res hunts. Not easy but you do need some straight or slight lean section to properly get comfortable saddle lean & stick and/or platform secure support.

FLAK

WKR
I want to like the saddles, but they dont even LOOK comfortable in the least and like others I dont see much of a weight save.
And, looks like you need quite a bit of Chimp DNA to pull it off.
Just my thoughts. No experience with them at all.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
I want to like the saddles, but they dont even LOOK comfortable in the least and like others I dont see much of a weight save.
And, looks like you need quite a bit of Chimp DNA to pull it off.
Just my thoughts. No experience with them at all.

Um... not for nothin'... but.. you DO realize that we are majority Chimp DNA right?... seeing as how we evolved and diverged off FROM them about 7 Million yeas ago. #Science

lukemcd44

FNG
Ok, I know there are tons of mods I can (and may do) to my saddle hunting gear - but lighter weight - uh not seeing it.

Here is my set up:
Tetrd Mantis saddle
Tetrd Backstrap
Tetrd Tether
Muddy Linemans belt
Tetrd Platform
4 Hawk Helium Sticks and straps
Tethrd Hys strap

All together right at 20 lbs... My X Stand X1 is 18 lbs.

So where is the lightweight in saddle hunting??

I know most SH'ers are using 3 sticks plus aiders - so there maybe 2.75 lbs (stick plus stock strap). But then again my X Stand can climb to whatever height I want - I have no limits.

I know you can not use stock straps and that might save you 2 lbs (probably closer to 1.5).

Aside from that I am scratching my head and asking "where's the beef?" (lightweight). It seems like the same ole weight.

So my gear load to "hang hunt" (climber, saddle, or hang stand) is gonna be pushing 35-40 lbs. 20 for the hanging gear, 5 lbs of call, headlamp, knife, gps, batteries, rainsuit, etc.; 5 lbs for pack; 3 lbs of add clothing; 2-4 lbs of food and water. Easily 40 with bow (or gun). For that same load I can 3-4 day mountain elk hunt!

What am I missing?
I think that another important factor to realize is that saddles offer a more diverse option. You can get into trees that you couldn’t normally get into and can use trees as buffers on top of that. You’re going to have sticks regardless of if you have a hang on or saddle, so the stand setup is going to have a little extra weight. Not too significant though.

I tried a saddle this year for the first time while whitetail hunting, to see if it would work as an option for sitting wallows while elk hunting. The weight wasn't a huge issue to me. I do need to find a way to get stuff to stop making noise on the walk in though. I bought four 3 foot long XOP sticks to use with it. I'd never hung sticks before this season either, so had a huge learning curve while trying to find the right tree in the pre-dawn hours... The cottonwoods I wanted to sit in were too wide to fit the straps around, so I generally ended up sitting on the ground like I normally would #fail... When I finally did find a good tree to set up in (always after the sun is up), it took me 45 minutes to get from ground to fully set up in the tree! Learning curve played a huge role here I'm sure, but I can't see how that would work very well with a bedded buck or bull 100 yards away banging my way up a tree. That said, once in the saddle I was extremely comfortable the entire time - it literally felt like I was swinging in an upright hammock - the best!

There's some great tips here about getting in/out of the tree better. I'll have to look more into the one stick plus rappelling method. I will probably be selling those three foot long sticks as well as I was busting tons of brush with them, making all sorts of noise, and hard as I would try, I couldn't get the buckles to not swing into the metal while walking...

eltaco

WKR
I tried a saddle this year for the first time while whitetail hunting, to see if it would work as an option for sitting wallows while elk hunting. The weight wasn't a huge issue to me. I do need to find a way to get stuff to stop making noise on the walk in though. I bought four 3 foot long XOP sticks to use with it. I'd never hung sticks before this season either, so had a huge learning curve while trying to find the right tree in the pre-dawn hours... The cottonwoods I wanted to sit in were too wide to fit the straps around, so I generally ended up sitting on the ground like I normally would #fail... When I finally did find a good tree to set up in (always after the sun is up), it took me 45 minutes to get from ground to fully set up in the tree! Learning curve played a huge role here I'm sure, but I can't see how that would work very well with a bedded buck or bull 100 yards away banging my way up a tree. That said, once in the saddle I was extremely comfortable the entire time - it literally felt like I was swinging in an upright hammock - the best!

There's some great tips here about getting in/out of the tree better. I'll have to look more into the one stick plus rappelling method. I will probably be selling those three foot long sticks as well as I was busting tons of brush with them, making all sorts of noise, and hard as I would try, I couldn't get the buckles to not swing into the metal while walking...

That’s a pretty solid first experience :)

Don’t bail on the sticks just yet. It’s worth a bit of research on how to quiet the system. Check these out, I covered all of the metal on my sticks aside from the step, and it made a huge difference for my ability to quietly climb

I’d highly recommend practicing a bunch during daylight to gain proficiency. Unfortunately, you picked the most challenging climbing scenario as your first trial: while hunting, close quarters, dark, bad trees. That’s a losing battle!

We’ve all done it. I’ve had attempts take me a half hour. By the time I’m up, I’m either laughing at how it must have looked, or cussing under my breath... drenched in sweat. Completely ineffective. Most of the time, I’m up the tree in 5-7mins now, but my setup is pretty well dialed and I have a better sense for which trees will cause me grief.

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
There’s definitely a learning curve to it, and it may not be for everyone. This was my 4th season in a saddle - I like to think I got into it before the kool-aid got spiked. I still use hang ons, ladder stands, and still have my lone wolf climber (although that’s been collecting dust for 3 years). Each stand has its purpose. If I’m hunting my property, nothing beats sneaking into a pre-hung hang on with ladder sticks IMO. I still hunt a little bit of public land and like to take my saddle there. I’ve never weighed my current set up, but it’s gotta be lighter and less cumbersome to carry than my lone Wolf. No crazy modifications to anything l, or trying to shimmy up a tree like a monkey. 4 muddy pro sticks, and on one stick I changed out the top step to this mini platform I found a guy online makes (artisan outdoor fabrication). I also took a scrap piece of rope and made a 20 inch or so loop. Loop that around the bottom step of my first stick to get a little extra height for my first step off the ground (one step aider?). It all fits nice and tidy on the outside of my Kuiu venture 1800, with plenty of room for everything I’d need for a day hunt.
13afedbfd93e515671f9dc857bd7f308.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kylehey

FNG
The way a saddle packs in is unbeatable. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting out of a preset stand for convenience but a saddle can go with me anywhere in the woods without slowing me down.