Saddle hunting

Btaylor

WKR
Ok so I finally decided to try saddle hunting this weekend. I had been thinking about trying it for a while and so a couple weeks ago I started researching and shopping for a saddle set up. Had a little sticker shock at the pricing for these things and was about to write the whole mess off because I couldnt justify spending the money to try something I wasnt sure I would like. Especially when I already have a pick up truck full of stands that work great. Then I ran across a thread on saddlehunter about making one out of a piece of fleece material. Since I already had a rock climbing harness and plenty of rope for a tether and prusik's as well as plenty of carabiners, I thought, I can make that work. Ran down to the wally world and bought a $6.35 tax included fleece throw. Should be able to get at least 4-5 saddles out of the throw.

Threw all the parts in the truck with my other gear and headed to the woods friday after work. It rained all night and well into the morning saturday so I had time to make up the saddle. Took forever to get that thing put together, like 10 minutes or something LOL. Remembered that we had a Gorilla strap on tree seat that Dad had used like twice hunting from the ground and rounded it up. When the rain stopped, I took my new saddle and the tree seat out back and threw it on a tree. put the seat on and hoped on it put my linemans rope on for simulation purposes and then put a tether I made that morning as well on the tree clipped in the harness and saddle and sat back. Only after looking behind me to see what I might land on if this mess didnt work. Holy crap, it not only worked but it was really comfortable. Unhooked my new setup and headed to the woods.

Hung about 2.5 hours Saturday evening and had a 3 hour hang yesterday morning in it and I must say I am surprised at how much I like it. Best I can tell at this point, I only need to make one adjustment. I need to re-tie my bridge and shorten it up 3-4 inches. With my 4 rope mod'd helium stick and the tree seat for a platform I cut my carry weight at least in half. If you cover a lot of ground and you havent looked at using a saddle system, you might want to consider it.

jspradley

WKR
Thanks for the write up! A saddle is next on my to do list, was debating on modding a sit-drag but I may go the fleece route first to make sure a saddle is for me without dumping as much cash into it.

Are you using a rock climbing harness or a standard tree stand style harness? I have a good Muddy harness and I'm wondering how that would work with a saddle

OP
B

Btaylor

WKR
I have the Black Diamond Vario Speed RC harness. I also have a muddy full harness and I think it would work but you might need a bridge from the linemans loops to hook to the tether. I dont remember what the Vario cost but it wasnt much.

Lowg08

WKR
I have been stashing money away for one for a bit. Almost there considering i like to hunt in an elevated position but I like to be 3 or 4 miles or more in

My first season saddle hunting. Got a trophyline. It's comfortable and the options for trees are much better than with my climber. I'm still tweaking things but I like it so far. I'm using LW climber seat for platform and WE steps.

DWinVA

WKR
Welcome to saddle hunting. I’m in my 2nd year using an Aerohunter Kestryl & really enjoy the reduced weight & bulk versus my climbing tree stand. I hike in 30 mins to an hour & the saddle & lightweight climbing sticks are awesome for that. Also, I have much better shooting options with my 62” recurve. Good luck and God Bless.

This is interesting. I hunt a spot that I would love to get a stand in but carting a stand 4 miles up the mountain is something I just don't want to do. This could be an option.

Lowg08

WKR
I am buying one myself because I just keep hunting deeper and deeper and a heavy stand 7 miles back ain’t happening. I’m also buying an ebike to go with it

Pezboat

WKR
I started saddle hunting this year too. Walk back quite a ways. Love my Kifaru tactical frame with the Nomad bag to carry it all in. Saddle fits perfectly in the Sherman. Probably a bit overkill, but gives me the option to pack out a deer too.

130269130270130271FFAFC67D-410E-4FC1-A251-70CE98459C8F.jpeg

perry296

FNG
This is my second year saddle hunting, and I've already sold all my stands. I don't think you can beat them for a run and gun set up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

adamm88

WKR
Im looking to get in one next year, the price point of the saddle isnt too bad but i was looking at different stick options and about craped my pants, iv always hunted out of a climbed, ladder stand or hunted on the ground, iv never bought sticks so there was some sticker shock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWinVA

WKR
“Stick”er shock. 😄
Speaking of that....I got the Beast climbing sticks last year, pricey but man are they built awesome, light, and extremely stable on the tree. They should last me the rest of my hunting career. This was a buy once cry once deal but that one cry lasted a while. 😢

God Bless.

RCL

WKR
Been using a Black Diamond harness and a modified Sit and Drag this year and it works well. Very light set up and can set up in about any tree.

Brendan

WKR
I like 4 Hawk Helium Sticks, cut them down to 2 steps, ~22" ea, use a 4 step rope aider. Modified mine to use a Lone Wolf Style Button and ropes to attach to the tree. I can get my feet to 25' or more this way. And, sticks and platform fit within the profile of my 22Mag / 22" Frame.

Used an Aerohunter last year, running the Tethrd Mantis this year.

Brendan

WKR
not a tree stand hunter, I know a saddle goes on a horse or a low point in a ridgeline. what are you guys talking about?
Think arborist saddle, or rock climbing harness modified for hunting. No "stand" required.

dda5390bcc800164621053e200420217.jpg