Saddle hunting

JCMCUBIC

WKR
First season hunting out of a saddle (not exclusively) and like for streamlining profile walking into the brush but its really hard to add layers once you're up. Still playing around with it but may end up being more of an early season deal for me personally.

The majority of the places I hunt are mountainsides and I hike in without layers to avoid excessive sweating. Putting layers on at the base of the tree before climbing simply traps my heat and I'll sweat as I climb. I've found it better to climb without layers, setup, cool down, then add layers.

The main reason for me going hybrid was extending time on stand to all day, but the greater ease of adding layers was a nice benefit. The ability to sit and stand helps when adding layers. Just make sure you find a way to stay safely connected.

Macintosh

WKR
Its also possible to add a lot of layers over your saddle. Zip your insulated pants right on over the saddle, put jacket on over saddle, etc. A 2-way zipper for this is helpful, it’s not perfect with the saddle, but it does work. Most of my hunting specific jackets don’t have a two-way zipper unfortunately. Usually I can put the jacket on, zip it up, and then reach underneath my saddle and pull it down between my body and the waist belt. It’s a little bit of movement, but not too bad and takes just a moment.
I think there’s opportunity for some of the apparel companies to build purpose built, lightweight, packable clothing specifically around saddle hunting, as most of the whitetail gear is crazy, bulky and heavy, and none of it that I’ve seen is designed with saddle hunting in mind. I sure dont use the darn tree-harness hole in the back of my jacket!

Lowg08

WKR
I'd not seen the XOP Retrograde. I've been using a hybrid setup for a while now...the Retrograde looks to be perfect for it. Sigh...tracking shows it should arrive Saturday.
You won’t regret it. I’ve used mine every hunt this year.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
You won’t regret it. I’ve used mine every hunt this year.

I played around with it a bit this week and it should work very, very well. It's substantially smaller than the M7 and I prefer the buttons/straps to the M7's camlock. The footprint and weight for carry will be hard to beat.

The M7 will be a permanent stand (for season) and the Retrograde will be used for any/all non permanent (for season) stands.

Thanks for the pointer to it!

Lowg08

WKR
I played around with it a bit this week and it should work very, very well. It's substantially smaller than the M7 and I prefer the buttons/straps to the M7's camlock. The footprint and weight for carry will be hard to beat.

The M7 will be a permanent stand (for season) and the Retrograde will be used for any/all non permanent (for season) stands.

Thanks for the pointer to it!
Glad I could help. I also use the M7 for permanent or through the season stands. I’ve got to where I prefer to use the retrograde for everything now. I may have missed it. Don you use a harness or saddle. I’ve went to a rock climbing harness and it’s great.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Saddle. I've thought about trying a rock climbing harness or even trying another saddle but haven't done enough research to give it a go.