Saddle hunting

Has anyone in here used tree spikes for a method of climbing? some of these rigs in this thread look very nice.

Lowg08

WKR
If you have not had experience with tree hooks then your in for an uncomfortable experience. I have pole hooks and they are far from comfortable

cjparry2

FNG
My first season saddle hunting. Got a trophyline. It's comfortable and the options for trees are much better than with my climber. I'm still tweaking things but I like it so far. I'm using LW climber seat for platform and WE steps.

Hi Cgtarwater, I want to get a tree saddle. Do you still like your Trophyline saddle? I was about to purchase a Tethrd saddle. Any suggestions?

cjparry2

FNG
Welcome to saddle hunting. I’m in my 2nd year using an Aerohunter Kestryl & really enjoy the reduced weight & bulk versus my climbing tree stand. I hike in 30 mins to an hour & the saddle & lightweight climbing sticks are awesome for that. Also, I have much better shooting options with my 62” recurve. Good luck and God Bless.

Hi DWinVA, I want to get a tree saddle and don't have time to make one. Do you still like your Aerohunter saddle? I was about to purchase a Tethrd saddle. Any suggestions?

DWinVA

WKR
Hi DWinVA, I want to get a tree saddle and don't have time to make one. Do you still like your Aerohunter saddle? I was about to purchase a Tethrd saddle. Any suggestions?

Yes I still like it. I just got their kite in the mail but haven’t had a chance to use it yet. It is lighter and will be cooler since it’s mesh. If I was going to get a Tethrd I would wait & get the Phantom. Good luck.

God Bless

LilBit

FNG
This was my first season with a saddle and loved it. Everyone at deer camp thought I was crazy.

I currently run the Wild Edge steps with an aider, the Perch for my platform and a Tethrd Mantis. Considering a different climbing method though for next season. For anyone looking for more info, go over to saddlehunter.com. It's a great resource.

Awesome thread with tons of good info! I was considering this but haven’t had much info to read up on! Thanks

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve went to a hybrid set Xop retrograde and one stick with a 2 step aider. Really awesome set up. Black diamond rock climbing harness.

Attachments

• FD34988C-27BB-4546-A628-E5AD275B0B67.jpeg
    FD34988C-27BB-4546-A628-E5AD275B0B67.jpeg
    655.1 KB · Views: 31

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a saddle for the last 2 seasons. I love the mobility, and the ability to be able to hide behind the tree when deer come in. I use a tethrd phantom saddle, tethrd predator platform, and their "tethrd one" sticks with a 2 step aider. The more I go up & down the tree with this setup, the faster & more efficient I get with it. My only complaint is that I had a back surgery about 5 years ago, and sitting in the saddle for long periods of time, seems to bother my Sciatic nerve on my right side a bit. Maybe if I tried a different saddle this could be alleviated?

I've been running the Latitude Method 2. I'm short and stocky (5'10" and 225 lbs) having the second panel seems to help a ton with comfort and I'll also run their back support strap on longer sits. I haven't hunted out of a climber or loc-on since. It makes being mobile so much faster, easier and quieter, especially with as much public land hunting as a do. 4 24" sticks with aiders will get me to approx. 21' in less than 5 minutes.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I’ve went to a hybrid set Xop retrograde and one stick with a 2 step aider. Really awesome set up. Black diamond rock climbing harness.

I'd not seen the XOP Retrograde. I've been using a hybrid setup for a while now...the Retrograde looks to be perfect for it. Sigh...tracking shows it should arrive Saturday.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I've been using a saddle for the last 2 seasons. I love the mobility, and the ability to be able to hide behind the tree when deer come in. I use a tethrd phantom saddle, tethrd predator platform, and their "tethrd one" sticks with a 2 step aider. The more I go up & down the tree with this setup, the faster & more efficient I get with it. My only complaint is that I had a back surgery about 5 years ago, and sitting in the saddle for long periods of time, seems to bother my Sciatic nerve on my right side a bit. Maybe if I tried a different saddle this could be alleviated?

If you try hybrid with a small lockon, you have the option to sit on the stand's seat. Usually more room to stand (compared to most platforms) without weight in the saddle as well. It might be helpful.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
First season hunting out of a saddle (not exclusively) and like for streamlining profile walking into the brush but its really hard to add layers once you're up. Still playing around with it but may end up being more of an early season deal for me personally.