Saddle pads.......

robtattoo

WKR
I'm just getting started on buying my own tack. I've ridden for a while, but with a 12 year gap since I was last horseback.
I've been taking western lessons recently & I'm just starting to put my own gear together. No immediate plans to buy my own horse yet, but I have access to as many as I want! I have my saddle, headstalls, bits, reins, breast harness etc all sorted out, but I'm sticking on a 'universal' pad.

What's everyone's preference for long rides? Anything I should avoid?
Right now, I'm looking at several cutback/contoured/non-contoured felt & fleece backed numbers & the more I look, the more discombobulated I'm getting myself!

Is there reeeeeally an advantage to a $150 pad over a $40???

I run a double Navajo blanket and a contoured felt pad, Navajo blanket helps keep my felt pad cleaner and gives me just a touch more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used the weaver gel seat pads and the Impact gel saddle seat. The weaver is useless if you weigh more than 150pounds, but for kids or lighter adults they definitely make a difference in longer rides especially if you've got no ass. The impact gel is a lush pimpin ride all day long. Like sitting on a padded dining chair vs hardwood. The only (and huge) downside is the wool gets wet and stays wet, whereas a plain saddle sheds rain/snow. Neither of the pads are very secure and slid around quite a bit. I put anti slip pads under them and it really locks them in place. Screenshot_20191209-195358_Google.jpgScreenshot_20191209-194017_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20191209-193925_Chrome.jpg

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I run a double Navajo blanket and a contoured felt pad, Navajo blanket helps keep my felt pad cleaner and gives me just a touch more

Forgive my ignorance, but are you using the blanket over or under the felt. I'm assuming over, but I'm beginning to second guess everything right now!

You can get buy just fine with a 40$ pad and 20$ Navajo blanket. Which ever you use against the horse keep clean and if you have a properly fitting saddle with clean pads you shouldn't have any problems. Always check your pad/blanket for pine needles/sticks before you put it on the horse. I have an old washing machine I wash the blankets in and I use a pressure washer on the pads once a year. Under my personal rig is a nice wool blanket with a 1 inch felt pad. On my pack stock I have a long pack pad on top and 20$ Navajo underneath.

Bbell12

WKR
A pad is a necessity. It doesn’t have to be an expensive though. Pair it with a Navajo blanket or two and that’s all you’ll ever need.

Big Antlergetter is right on the money. Having grown up with horses and used them in competition (High School, College and Amateur rodeo), I believe in the lighter Navajo type pad under a thicker felt or wool pad. Keep in mind that you want a saddle blanket set-up that fits your horse and your saddle. Meaning, it should be big enough to provide more coverage than the foot print of the saddle. You also want a pad that provides enough padding for the horse to be comfortable but not too much that it doesn't allow the saddle to snug up to the back and withers (think of fitting a backpack to yourself). With that being said, I do believe that a guy can get by with a cheaper pad but that it would be better to spend the money. Going to auctions and pawn shops, a guy can usually pick up the more expensive pads for a fraction of the cost.

rayporter

WKR
pads get many folks in a tizzy. some claim theirs are the best ever and degrade all else. generally a two pad system will work well. wool is always good against the back. but sometimes the pads slip and cause you to have to stop and reset them. i have cut holes in pads and tied them to the horn more than once.

in general if a saddle fits, pads are not as important as if the saddle does not fit well. this happens much more frequently than most riders realize. you cant fix a bad fit with a pad very often. the only pad i have that has fixed a bad fit is the corrector. it saved one good pony. so if you have a sore back dont keep trying to add pads to cure it. if it dont work right off =it wont work and you need another saddle.

as a rule i use thick felt, some with cut back at the withers. but one does get the corrector.

We've always used a Cool Backs and a doubled up blanket, but our saddles have always been a close fit in regards to the saddle tree and the animals back. I'd start with using the horse that has a back most suited for your saddle and go from there. With out knowing where the saddle fit is wrong it's hard to give possible solutions.

When/if the time comes that you buy your own horse I'd recommend just starting from the ground up and getting a saddle that fits their back and your butt. If you absolutely love the saddle you got, maybe try fighting the good fight if it's not a great fit, but I have a feeling by that time you'll have it figured out what you'd do differently for doing long hours in the saddle. Just like having a pack that fits you, the horse will be able to go longer and further if they've got a saddle that fits them.

CSI saddle pads are the best pads we have found. Has a plate on top of the wool felt pad that helps disperse weight evening. Very well made, be the last pad you ever have to buy. If you saddle fit isn't perfect it will help you cheat a little and keep from pinching or making the horse sore.

Brooks

WKR
CSI pads are great pads I own a few of them. I also like a 3/8 wool liner pad sitting under a 1 inch wool ( 5 Star) pad . You can use a lot of different pads but when you’re riding and packing all day for several days at a time in rough, steep country you
need to protect your horses the best you can.... they deserve it.

rayporter

WKR
i have 2 corrector pads that have a hard insert that fits inside the pad. they have their place.

if you put on enough miles day after day you will get the gear to fit or you will be on foot. not very many put on that kind of miles.

i had one good barrel horse that i could not get a saddle to fit, so after 4 saddles we took him to a saddle maker and had one made.

Brooks

WKR
A saddle is another very important part of a pack horse ! After a few days of riding or packing with a saddle that doesn’t fit the horse you darn sure will be walking... probably walking the horse back to the trailer.

rayporter

WKR
A saddle is another very important part of a pack horse ! After a few days of riding or packing with a saddle that doesn’t fit the horse you darn sure will be walking... probably walking the horse back to the trailer.

you can say that again

i had so many different animals and swapped them often that i bought adjustable pack saddles.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
CSI saddle pads are the best pads we have found. Has a plate on top of the wool felt pad that helps disperse weight evening. Very well made, be the last pad you ever have to buy. If you saddle fit isn't perfect it will help you cheat a little and keep from pinching or making the horse sore.

My wife is sponsored by CSI saddle pads. We are lucky enough to use these on all of our horses on the ranch. Amazing pads. If you roksliders ever need a deal on a new pad PM me.

Diamond wool pads have always worked for me. I use the 1" thick with the canvas outer cover. Someday I would to upgrade to the expensive 5 Star pads.

Stay away from the gimmicky gel pads, neoprene (won) pads and the like. They may be fine in the show pen and the rodeo arena but they don't do you or your horse any favors in the mountains. To me, neoprene pads are about the worst thing you could put on horses' back. They make the horse sweat and don't the heat and moisture escape. It's the same affect as wearing a pair of neoprene chest waders when it's a warm or not very cold day.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Guys, thanks so much for all your help & advice.
I've picked up a Dura Tec Navajo blanket & The Wife is buying me a contoured, Weaver fleece lined pad for Christmas.
It's maybe not the best solution, but after all your advice & talking to the girl giving me the lessons, I figured it was a pretty good 'starter' setup. I'm sure I'll upgrade to something better down the line.