Saddle panniers

rayporter

WKR
usually i feel that they ride too low below the animal. i had mine custom made because of this.
all of them will still work but you have to lash them on well. i consider them meat haulers only just to save a trip.

weaver

WKR
Check out the ones from davis tent. They have straps across the top so you can lift the load and not have it just draped across the horse.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I have used this one for 5+ years ....with the poly inserts. The poly inserts make a significant difference if using to pack camp in.....I weigh each pannier to within 0.5 pounds....so it doesn't shift. I don't use the H top pack. Instead I use 2-36" green military duffel bags (sleeping bag, clothes, food) - 1 on top of each poly insert. Then, I use ratchet straps across the top of the saddles using the metal d rings on the panniers to secure them and to lift the panniers off the sides of the horse. It has a a belly strap to help secure the panniers. This setup has worked well for 5+ years.

If using the poly inserts, use the panniers that have the reinforced bottoms and corners....will help the panniers last a longer and resist wearing holes in the corners if the horse brush up against trees.

Last edited:
OP
netman

netman

WKR
Thanks fellas! My plan for their use will be for packing meat out this year.

Wrongside

WKR

I have used this one for 5+ years ....with the poly inserts. The poly inserts make a significant difference if using to pack camp in.....I weigh each pannier to within 0.5 pounds....so it doesn't shift. I don't use the H top pack. Instead I use 2-36" green military duffel bags (sleeping bag, clothes, food) - 1 on top of each poly insert. Then, I use ratchet straps across the top of the saddles using the metal d rings on the panniers to secure them and to lift the panniers off the sides of the horse. It has a a belly strap to help secure the panniers. This setup has worked well for 5+ years.

If using the poly inserts, use the panniers that have the reinforced bottoms and corners....will help the panniers last a longer and resist wearing holes in the corners if the horse brush up against trees.
We've been using these for quite a while too, and really like them. They work really well with our system. Namely, a small string of horses... 😉

One trick if your using actual riding saddle paniers is to rig your stirrups up under the load and use them lashed together over the top of the load, much like you would with a decker or sawbuck style basket hitch. keeps everything tight.

OP
netman

netman

WKR
Mulepacker you got a picture of that setup? I went to Davis tent to order their panniers and got put on a waiting list.