Saddle vs Tree Stand for Stationary Hunting

TheKid

FNG
Hello everyone, whitetail season here in the northeast is closing in. I have been doing a lot of research lately on saddle hunting. I currently hunt from hang on tree stands on public land. I also leave these stands in for the whole season. I’m interested in trying a saddle because I have heard they are a lot more comfortable and allow for a wider shooting radius with less movement. I know that saddles are very convenient for mobile hunters who pack their stands and platforms in and out on every hunt. However since I plan to hunt a more stationary approach, does it make sense? My approach with a saddle would be to put platforms on a few different different trees, and hunt them just like I would with a hang ons. Since it is just a small platform up in a tree it would of course help with it being a lot less visible to other hunters and people than a regular hang on. Given these circumstances Would it be better to stick with the hang on approach or switch to a saddle?

Thanks,
BackwoodsBadass

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
Saddles are awesome in that they are very packable, and very flexible in what tree you want to hunt out of with a minimal amount of gear.

But, there's a learning curve. Getting comfortable takes some work to figure out what you're doing, and in some cases they're much more of a PITA than a hang-on. I also think I tend to move around more in a saddle, but it's very easy to put yourself with the tree between you and an animal, and then swing out for a shot. I think having one is a good idea, but you really have to try it out to see how you like it.

Get a saddle, get a small platform, and start using existing climbing sticks that you have for your hang-on's. Climbing doesn't have to be any different, but a lot of people turn it into a hobby just talking on the internet about all of the little doo-dads they use to climb a tree and giving them cute names.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
I find my saddle much more comfortable to hunt out of than my lock on. I've bought and sold saddles to find the exact one I felt gave me the most comfort. After I got it dialed in I was very happy with my decision. I sit/lean all day in it with no issues. Basically every lock on will give you about the same level of comfort. That is absolutely not the case with a saddle. To me every saddle seems completely different from the others. If I already had the number of treestands I needed to cover all my spots I'm not sure I'd buy the saddle.

rcb2000

WKR
I hunt public land out of a saddle for the mobility, easy to pack, and can get up almost any shape of tree, regardless of branches or not.
If I had some private land though, I'd hang some stands though just for ease of getting in quietly and quickly.
Hell, if I had private land, I'd have a few buddy blinds.

I think if you went the saddle route, you’d most likely not want to have to haul hang-ons in to leave. Lot of work and hassle, not to mention not as comfortable IMO when compared to the saddle.

Takes time to dial your set up in, but you’ll be glad you did.

Conceivably, you could hang numerous platforms and hunt them using a saddle. I’ve don’t that on friends places. Just use the saddle as your seat. Much more comfortable than the majority of hang on seats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hogyotedeer

Banned
I have a sit drag saddle and it is fun but it is tough to sit or lean for a period of time being still. I have not been able to stay still enough in it and shooting from it causes way too much movement. I have found a small hang on and sticks is the best way to go.

bdg848

WKR
The biggest advantage for saddles is mobility and easy of quiet setup. For permanent stand locations the advantages are fewer, mostly just more shot angles or personal preference.. I personally think my saddle is less comfortable than a stand but they are far easier to carry in and set up quietly and are comfortable enough for several hours. Although, I use a DIY fleece saddle not a $350 commercial one so mine is probably not as nice as those. Comfort may be more if you had a commercial saddle but I can't speak to that.

I feel more comfortable maneuvering for a shot from a saddle than a stand. In a saddle I can move freely and FEEL the ropes holding me securely vs. a stand I feel nervous trying to turn and pivot for a shot because I am subconsciously worried of falling off the edge of the platform and having that "falling feeling" before the harness catches me. You don't have that with a saddle. Not to mention a sudden stop after even just a foot or two drop is going to hurt.

As to the shot angles, I suggest buying a cheaper rock climbing harness, some climbing rope, and some fleece to use as your saddle. Test it out from your hang on's platform and see what you think. Or save more money and skip the climbing rope and just buy some sturdy rope to test it AT GROUND LEVEL... DON'T use anything but climbing rope or amsteel if you are at any height at all. Buy a cheap DIY setup and see if it's worth investing more to you. All said and done, I prefer my saddle.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
No, it doesn’t make sense if you are gonna hunt the same few trees. Just hang your various lock-on stands preseason, leave them up, and then bounce between them as you wish. Saddles and even light weight stands (lonewolf, xop) and sticks are more designed for moving just about every sit on public, being able to go further with less weight on public, and really in my mind, for public sites where stands cannot be left overnight so you are setting up and then pulling your full set every hunt. I use a lone wolf alpha and lone wolf sticks on public where I can’t leave stands overnight. Been thinking about the saddle game but not there yet.

That is my question. If I am already planning on hunting a stationary approach does a saddle make sense?
Because I can stay out of the vision of the deer so much easier with the saddle. Last year there were multiple times deer were within 10 yards of my tree and never saw me because i was around the tree. For that tree I would have been busted with a stand more than likely. I was also able to hunt out of crazy hard trees to get in with a stand quite easily with the saddle. I could hunt THE tree and not just a tree that worked for me.

but I’m only hunting public land that gets pretty pressured. And some really long walks, so the less bulk and weight was worth the learning curve for me. I try not to sit in the same tree twice, even if I moving just 40 yards to keep the deer guessing if I decide to hunt the same spot.

What sold me was the ability to keep the tree between me and the deer. I need to find the picture, but I had a mature doe eating leaves off a small tree right below me looking right at me and didn’t spot me due to that. From that moment on I was sold. But it’s perfect for my style of hunting.

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
Do this - start by replacing your existing harness with a saddle. No reason you can't use one in a hang-on, I have plenty of times.

You need a harness anyways, and that allows you the flexibility of moving around the tree if you need to for a shot, or to put the tree between you and a deer, and it gives you the best of both worlds in terms of comfort, and just trying one out...

KyleR1985

WKR
If the saddle doesn’t allow/force you to hunt in a different way, then there’s really no point in changing. The whole point of modifying your system or adding gear is to expand your capabilities.

If you’re just going to continue hunting the exact same way, save your money for tags and gas.

side note - I switched to saddles about 5 years ago and will never go back to hangon for public land. But for two reasons. I never stop walking, and only get in a tree if there’s really high odds deer will be under it(rare). And because I can’t get comfortable sitting with a fixed angle of backrest and seat height - my back hates it. The weight of a hang on makes no sense for me.

but if I was going to hunt the same tree over and over, I’d put whatever I already had in it.

I added a saddle to my hunting gear for scouting really.
I can't tell you how many times I find the perfect tree at a new spot, then hunt it 4-5 times and realize I'm 20 yds too far out for a good bow shot. Then I have to take it all down and move it. Now I can hunt a couple different trees easily before deciding exactly where I want a more permanent setup.

I'm also notorious for scouting during season for the freshest sign. With the saddle you can have your setup in the truck all the time and deploy it for an afternoon hunt over fresh sign with minimal noise and effort (if you take your time).

Tbrien21

FNG
I made the switch to a saddle a few seasons ago and love it. That being said I rarely sit in the same tree twice. Typically bouncing around different public lands and then on the private I have access to I leave a few pre hung stands. If you’re thinking of just leaving platforms up and sitting a handful of trees, Pre set hang ons may be a better option. IMO

jspradley

WKR
I'm a big fan of saddle hunting, with that said if you already have a ton of hang ons and they are more comfortable to you then might as well use them. I personally can't stand sitting in a stand, it hurts my back like crazy.

If you have to go out and buy a bunch of hang ons then a single saddle and platform might be a more economical option.

Rich M

WKR
Both are popular.

You want to swing around the tree or sit on an uncomfortable tiny butt pad? Your call.

I prefer ladders for comfort safety and ease of use. Have a LW climber for other hunts.

You make the choice for you. maybe someone will let you try a saddle?