Safaris are hurting bad.

mcfd45

FNG
So I was looking at the general state of safari hunts.
they gotta be hurting bad with covid restrictions.
nobody is buying any trips over there. Even the SCI auctions had no bidders. I could have had a cape buff hunt for $250 if I wanted, but nobody was taking the chance at it.

I have noticed most auction safari hunts have many additional costs associated with them. Once you factor all that in your $250 hunt will be at least few thousand easy plus travel expenses...

Rob5589

WKR
I have a friend in Tanzania that owns a photo/tour safari business. He is hurting in a bad way.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Problem with Africa right this minute is getting back. Even with a vac the state department is requiring a negitive test for reentry into the states. I'm not willing to get stuck in SA so the chances we are going on our 2020 trip this year arent good either.

Kotaman

WKR
Problem with Africa right this minute is getting back. Even with a vac the state department is requiring a negitive test for reentry into the states. I'm not willing to get stuck in SA so the chances we are going on our 2020 trip this year arent good either.
Return flight to Mexico, walk across the border=no test! 🤣🤦‍♂️ These travel rules are ridiculous.

As has already been said - the entire international travel industry is hurting due to COVID. But there is hope on the horizon - EU just went to proof of vaccination instead of negative test for the EU Passport. All eyes will be on them and if there aren’t immediate negative impacts expect others to follow. Suspect in the long run that will be the standard for international travel.

Safaris - with online auctions there is a vast difference in the quality of the hunting operation and the deal offered. Some organizations will take any crap thrown to them and put it up for bid. We don‘t do that and deal in quality - reputation is important. Overall, we did very well on our African trips, but still had one or two that didn’t sell or underperformed. But still better than most. Mid-Atlantic Bowhunters SCI.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Was on the phone yesterday with a buddy who is a PH in SA. There was no business last year, and he has some bookings for this year, with roughly 60% rebooked for the following year. Another buddy who is a PH in Zim and Cameroon is running around 50% bookings this year.

As far as auctions, the market is being flooded right now with outfits trying to get people over. If you've been vaccinated, don't mind getting tested before and after you leave there are some good deals out there. If you don't do taxidermy, even with airfare you're spending less for a 5 animal plains game hunt then an elk hunt.

nosler

FNG
Had to cancel a hunt in Botswana this May that was carried over from last year. Could not get Covid PCR test results within the 72 hour window. Do have both my COVID shots.

and R is for REDECK

ODB

WKR
Had to cancel a hunt in Botswana this May that was carried over from last year. Could not get Covid PCR test results within the 72 hour window. Do have both my COVID shots.

and R is for REDECK

I know several people in your position. The gist is they simply don’t want to rely on the test to be able to get back for various reasons.

State department better put some more thought into what getting the Covid shot means for the average person. What the hell did we spend billions of dollars on if they can’t trust the product of the effort?