Safe for rubber rand?

I know this topic has been beat to death, but I couldn't find a direct "YES" or "NO", just a bunch of "this is what I'm using"

So,

Is Nikwax (Waterproofing Wax for Leather version) safe for leather boots with a rubber rand? I have a new pair of Schnee Absaroka (great boot if anyone is looking), and I have yet to treat them. I figure I'll clean them up here soon before things get too wet/muddy and treat them with the Nikwax I bought off of Schnee's website. (I would assume since they sell it on their site, it is safe for their boots)(but you know what they say about assuming).

I've read on here multiple times of people dropping several hundreds of dollars (i fall into that group) on a new pair of high end boots, only to have the rand start separating after a year of use, and I do not want to have that happen to me.

If it is not safe, and going to separate the rand, what should I be using?

Thanks guys

I've used Nikwax for leather in the past on lots of my boots with rubber rands and had no issues with any sort of separation. Most all of the Nikwax leather treatments are on the upper end of the "safe" for boot use. Although I've used it in the past, it's not my favorite boot treatment and seems to not last long on a hunt for me. I've just gone to Obenhauf'sHeavy Duty LP and it's been bomber for me.

bhylton

WKR
obenaufs peeled the rand off my lowas and ruined the leather on many fellow firefighters boots. they must have changed the formula or something because it used to be the only thing people used. even rotted the leather on one guys whites. the nikwax has been good as far as rand separation goes. it seems to be a "lighter" product and does not soften leather as much as other creams or pastes.

i dont mean to be an obenauf's hatter and you didn't ask about it in your original post, but i personally cant recommend it to anyone anymore. --no offense snowcamoman--

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm just the opposite obenhaufs on all my boots never had a issue rand or otherwise and it stays much longer than Niki wax. I'll agree Niki wax is a lighter treatment. If Scheels recommends Niki wax I'd go with it if I was prepared to apply multiple times.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
A
thanks for the input guys. Heard that plenty of people use obenhaufs as well, but sounds like it could be hit or miss. I don't actually know if Schnees recommends it, but they sell it on their site. I asked when I bought the boots and the lady I talked to didn't sound real confident in her answer, but she did say yes it should be safe.

Jimbo V

WKR
I searched for a while worried about the same thing and didn't find anything about nixwax causing separation.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I couldn't find a direct "YES" or "NO", just a bunch of "this is what I'm using"
So,
Is Nikwax (Waterproofing Wax for Leather version) safe...

Hi Austinphps, Nikwax is safe to use on the rand. And with regard to Obenauf's, it can cause issues with the rand.

OP
A
Awesome, good to hear directly from the supplier on the issue. I will count this is a solid "YES" as to Nikwax being safe on rubber rands.