Safe laundry detergent for cleaning packs

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
I normally just hose it down good and let it dry, but is more ripe than normal. Is there a scent/dye free style detergent to get the stink out of a bloody pack? I've heard woolite, but are there any alternatives? What makes woolite safe to use and others not?
Thanks

matthewmt

WKR
Probably a natural DIY detergent out there

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

For your pack? Use whatever you have and throw it in the washer. Its not made of wool or silk is it?

Can you remove the frame from the pack? If so then just throw it in the washer on delicate. If not research a soap that doesn't create a lot of soapy residue and spot clean.

aion2come

WKR
I use a scent free detergent ... and then the enzyme stuff for cleaning up dog puke from carpet. You can get that at the pet store.

I use All free and clear with some added backing soda on all my hunting clothes. If It's really bad I add some Vinegar as well. The acid in the Vinegar will kill the bacteria.

OP
D

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
I usually use all free and clear for my clothes, and everything else. I've got super sensitive skin and break out in a rash if I don't use something like that. I normally use some type of trash bag or OR roll roll top to either put the meat in or my other stuff in. Basically forgot it for a couple animals and now when drying my pack, even the landlord was saying , what the funk?!

Was just under the impression that the stainlifters in All Free and Clear would do some damage to whatever dwr coating was on the Kifaru packs. Could care less about the blood, just more care about the pack fabric and it not smelling of a)dead animals or b) some stupid perfume

The biggest thing you want to avoid is a detergent with a UV brightener. Most commercial laundry detergents have UV brighteners in them, supposedly, it will make you "glow" to a game animal. Washing your pack with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) or Washing soda (sodium carbonate) will remove the stink but not remove much dirt / grime. You would need some surfactant to do this. Unscented body wash is very mild, but would help. Most free & clear detergents are also much milder than the normal types. There are a lot of "hunting" laundry soaps, and they are probably your safest bet, but I would add the Washing Soda to boost their cleaning performance. Then rinse the heck out of it (until there is no evidence of soap.

For myself, I just go to the lab and make my own. Kind of do this for a living.....

Griz34

Lil-Rokslider
If you only want to get rid of the stink, nothing works better than an ozone generator. I'm not an expert, but from my understanding the ozone molecules are unstable and they attach to the bacteria molecules and destroy them. I'm a stinky sweaty guy and I've tested it on my gym clothes and it is incredible. About 30 minutes in a tote with the ozone generator and the smell is gone. In testing long periods of exposure to ozone will start to degrade rubber so I don't use it on anything with elastic. I can't think of any high end packs that use elastic or other rubbers in their packs however. There are several ozone generators on Amazon for about $20.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
White vinegar and baking soda. A little bit of Mule team borax mixed in... Safe and a great scent killer.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

all® free clear Product Ingredients:
Water - Solvent

Sodium Dodecylbenzenesulfonate - Surfactant
Ethoxylated Lauryl Alcohol - Surfactant
Sodium Silicate - Builder
Sodium Hydroxide - pH Adjuster
Coconut fatty acid salt - Defoamer
Sodium Xylenesulfonate - Surfactant
Stilbene disulfonic acid triazine derivative - Brightening Agent

The 'brightening agent' at the end influenced me to start using a small amount of oxiclean or scent killer detergent for my hunting clothes.

all® free clear Product Ingredients:
Water - Solvent

Sodium Dodecylbenzenesulfonate - Surfactant
Ethoxylated Lauryl Alcohol - Surfactant
Sodium Silicate - Builder
Sodium Hydroxide - pH Adjuster
Coconut fatty acid salt - Defoamer
Sodium Xylenesulfonate - Surfactant
Stilbene disulfonic acid triazine derivative - Brightening Agent

The 'brightening agent' at the end influenced me to start using a small amount of oxiclean or scent killer detergent for my hunting clothes.

Looks like the All free and clear is a no go.
Thanks for posting this.