Safe load? Thoughts welcome

Wildbuck

FNG
Getting ready for muzzleloader deer season here in Oregon. Setup is a Traditions Pursuit G4 with a 30” barrel, 1:28 twist. Have been playing with Thor bullets this summer and haven’t been pleased with the groupings. Have tried different powder charges, powders, even ordered the sizing pack and two different sizes of the bullets. Decided to move on to something else. Ordered a sizing pack and eventually a box of 50 of the No Excuses 420 grain bullet. Excellent results followed. I’m shooting 100 grains of T7 FFG powder and the bullet. No wads, patches, etc. 1.5” groups at 100 yards will be fine for me and my hunting. I was shocked to say the least at the difference of felt recoil between shooting the No Excuses bullets with 100 grains of T7 and the Thor bullets with 100 grains of T7. The No Excuses bullet packs a whollop! I’m fine to handle the large recoil, but my question to the crowd is this: is that a safe load? I did some digging around and Hodgdon shows they’ve tested T7 FFG with a 100 grain charge all the way up to a 440 grain bullet. I looked in the owners manual for the gun and it shows a “recommended” load up to a 350 grain bullet with 100 grains of T7. Not quite sure what to think. I talked with some guys at a local muzzleloader shop and they seemed to think it was fine, but I always like more opinions if I can get them. Does anybody see any reason why this is a dangerous load with too high of pressures for that particular gun? Thanks for any advice and for overlooking any lack of obvious facts/knowledge I may be missing while thinking about this.

Legend

WKR
I have the same question. I stopped at 90 grains of T7 FFG with the no excuses 460.

cgasner1

WKR
We always run 100 of 777 with the 460s in the knight bighorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legend

WKR
We always run 100 of 777 with the 460s in the knight bighorn

In my very limited knowledge that would be a much hotter load than using FFG. I bet that is a solid recoil!! I am using a pedersoli hunter hawken similar to the OP so doubt I will go that high.

cgasner1

WKR
I’m starting to put together a tradition deer hunter for Montana I’m in the same boat right now waiting for the gun to show up now to start trying to put it together

swamphunter

Lil-Rokslider
I found 90 grains 777 under the 420 grain No Excuses to be the sweet spot for me. Things seemed to open up with 95 and 100 grain loads.
Traditions Pursuit VAPR
1:24 twist

I found the NE bullet to be a game changer as far as grouping for me. Haven't harvested anything yet, but the recoil seems to say that it is a devastating load.

Looking forward to some deer hunting in December with it. Never dropped the hammer in CO this year on the Elk hunt.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

OP
W

Wildbuck

FNG
Thanks for all the replies. I’m getting a general feeling that the load I’m shooting seems to be “safe” and that it comes down to the accuracy issue. I need to do a little more shooting to make sure I want to stay with 100 grains, but certainly won’t go over 100 grains. Unless anybody has any big concern that the load I’m shooting is too much for the gun to handle, I’ll continue on with it and compare it with 90 and 95 grain charges to see what shoots best. Hopefully will be posting success pictures here in a couple weeks.

nphunter

WKR
100gr by volume or weight? I'm shooting fury bullets with 90gr by volume in my night with great luck. 100gr by weight would be questionable IMO 100gr by volume should be just fine.

You better figure out what your doing quick, OR muzzy seasons coming up quick.