Safe reorg + ammo storage

I do not store any ammo in my safe. It will cook off..Concrete walled safe not as much has to get really hot, but drywall lined safe for sure..Saw a drywall safe at a local LS they pulled out of 2 story house fire..30-30 round cooked off and went right thru the top of the safe...there also was a loaded AK mag in there that destroy a couple nice rifles when those rounds cooked off, and a blob of what used to be silver coins, you could still see some of dates on top. Another thing to keep in mind with drywall safes...drywall collects moisture that turns to steam in a fire..any paper computer stuff needs to be in a separate fire box in the safe.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I do not store any ammo in my safe. It will cook off..Concrete walled safe not as much has to get really hot, but drywall lined safe for sure..Saw a drywall safe at a local LS they pulled out of 2 story house fire..30-30 round cooked off and went right thru the top of the safe...there also was a loaded AK mag in there that destroy a couple nice rifles when those rounds cooked off, and a blob of what used to be silver coins, you could still see some of dates on top. Another thing to keep in mind with drywall safes...drywall collects moisture that turns to steam in a fire..any paper computer stuff needs to be in a separate fire box in the safe.
Thanks. I've got a temporary solution to the ammo - but it is merely stacked on shelving next to the safe - so I still have the risk of cooking off and damaging the safe and the contents. At a minimum I need to think about moving the ammo to a different room.

My safe does have drywall, and I had not thought about the steam issue. I will be checking to see if my smaller fire box will fit in there, and in any event take more steps to reduce the need for paperwork and electronic stuff kept in there.