Safest crossbow for kids

Titan_Bow

WKR
Guys, my daughter is 10 years old, and she has some health issues that prevent her from being able to shoot a conventional bow, and would require me to be right there with her assisting . She’s been telling me she wants to go hunting with dad, so I’m looking to get a crossbow with her, with the idea we could set up a double bull at a spot with a decent chance of a shot. She’s shot her 22 quite a bit. My main concern with a crossbow is safety. I want something that I am confident that she’ll not be able to dry fire. Also, I’m really worried about a design that would let her get her fingers in the way of the string. Also, it would need to be a pretty small LOP or adjustable to fit her small stature.
Any ideas on the best and safest xbow for a small kid??

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotDraw?

WKR
Proper instruction and lots of practice to build a repeatable, reliable shot sequence will keep her (and others) safe, ensure an accurate shot and a lower the chances for a wounded animal.

Start adding some stress to her practice after she builds sufficient initial confidence, start giving her 20 seconds, 15 seconds, 10 seconds, 5 seconds to go through her shot process. Make it a game and be creative about it. Add stress now in controlled situations so her real shot will be a layup.

Prior posters are spot-on, new bows have anti dry-fire mechanisms.

Best,
JL

Whitetailkiller80

Lil-Rokslider
Proper instruction and lots of practice to build a repeatable, reliable shot sequence will keep her (and others) safe, ensure an accurate shot and a lower the chances for a wounded animal.

Start adding some stress to her practice after she builds sufficient initial confidence, start giving her 20 seconds, 15 seconds, 10 seconds, 5 seconds to go through her shot process. Make it a game and be creative about it. Add stress now in controlled situations so her real shot will be a layup.

Prior posters are spot-on, new bows have anti dry-fire mechanisms.

Best,
JL
But that alone doesn’t all make them safe... although I believe it’s operator error at times the Ravin crossbow crank has broken more fingers and hands than any other crossbow crank on the market today.. they also had more poor quality strings and cables break . it’s overall features that make crossbows safe for the features they offer... tenpoint has def overcome all issues this season from quality strings/cables and a design that make them last well over 1000 shots for that high performance and size they offer and that don’t break , better crank that don’t back spin plus other quality features , and dry fire mechanism. I wouldn’t give my daughter a Ravin if I were looking at safety and I’ve owned plenty of them

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
The Mission Sub-1 with RSD draw device could be what you are looking for. The draw device is silent, no ratcheting, can start and stop while cranking and let go of the handle at any point. Also has anti-dryfire and can be decocked with the draw device as well.

stonewall

WKR
Guys, my daughter is 10 years old, and she has some health issues that prevent her from being able to shoot a conventional bow, and would require me to be right there with her assisting . She’s been telling me she wants to go hunting with dad, so I’m looking to get a crossbow with her, with the idea we could set up a double bull at a spot with a decent chance of a shot. She’s shot her 22 quite a bit. My main concern with a crossbow is safety. I want something that I am confident that she’ll not be able to dry fire. Also, I’m really worried about a design that would let her get her fingers in the way of the string. Also, it would need to be a pretty small LOP or adjustable to fit her small stature.

Thanks

So did you end up buying one?

funny this thread came up in my suggested list. I just bought a centerpoint for my kids. It wasn’t expensive. $280 at cabelas. I’m still messing around with it. I can’t believe how loud the bloody thing is. I ended up putting earplugs in. I’m guessing that has something to do with it being a lower end crossbow. Hopefully we can get on a deer or two soon

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
So did you end up buying one?

funny this thread came up in my suggested list. I just bought a centerpoint for my kids. It wasn’t expensive. $280 at cabelas. I’m still messing around with it. I can’t believe how loud the bloody thing is. I ended up putting earplugs in. I’m guessing that has something to do with it being a lower end crossbow. Hopefully we can get on a deer or two soon

I still have not purchased on, I think we are gonna give it one more year for her, and see if its really something she would want to do. Wow, I didnt realize one would be that loud! To be honest, I have never shot one or even been around one, so I guess I assumed it would have just been like a louder compound bow or something

Guys, my daughter is 10 years old, and she has some health issues that prevent her from being able to shoot a conventional bow, and would require me to be right there with her assisting . She’s been telling me she wants to go hunting with dad, so I’m looking to get a youth crossbow with her, with the idea we could set up a double bull at a spot with a decent chance of a shot. She’s shot her 22 quite a bit. My main concern with a crossbow is safety. I want something that I am confident that she’ll not be able to dry fire. Also, I’m really worried about a design that would let her get her fingers in the way of the string. Also, it would need to be a pretty small LOP or adjustable to fit her small stature.

Thanks

Which crossbow would you choose for your daughter? If you tell which one, it would be beneficial to others.

Last edited:
My 8 year old whacked a doe with a killer instinct xbow last fall from a ground blind at about 25 yds.

Biggest recommendation I have is one of those Bog tripods that you can really lock down. Makes me a lot more comfortable not having them wield that thing all over. We basically set up lock it in and wait it out. Only minor adjustments within the shooting lane. Good luck.

My 8 year old whacked a doe with a killer instinct xbow last fall from a ground blind at about 25 yds.

Biggest recommendation I have is one of those Bog tripods that you can really lock down. Makes me a lot more comfortable not having them wield that thing all over. We basically set up lock it in and wait it out. Only minor adjustments within the shooting lane. Good luck.
Good!

WKR
Keep it simple: Excalibur
My granddaughter is deadly out to 30

I think I agree with this. The mechanism of the Excalibur is very simple to understand. Does that make it safer? I'm not sure, but there's something to be said for simplicity.

Maybe one of the dramatic string angle bows such as Ravin are actually safer as the "triangle of death" is very small and narrow? Not sure.

Either way, I don't think Excalibur is really a wrong answer..