Sage grouse Oregon

JeffP_Or

WKR
Right here! Did not draw the #1 choice though so looking at a new area again.
Nothing special for recipes - usually start with Hank Shaw and adjust from there based on what is available or personal tastes. Have yet to be disappointed! In camp, have also just done the simple pan fry as if it were a forest grouse or quail and all was good. Key is to treat them like ducks IMO - rare is your friend; medium rare max.

JeffP_Or

WKR
@Baddog So did you go? We went - couple frustrating days up front but finished up pretty well on Monday and Tuesday thanks to some bow hunters in the area.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter and I drew Beattys Butte. Headed out tomorrow for a long weekend. I’m just hoping to find water somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffP_Or

WKR
Good luck to you! We struggled a bit [new to us area; no dogs and could not find water on the BLM ground]. The ones we did come across - again thanks to the bow hunters who were glassing ridges and a local rancher who shared some road info - were not in areas we typically find them. They were in the grass areas and not in the solid sage patches. They were also in the 4000k - 4500k range; we camped and hunted initially down low in the creek bottom since that is where we found the larger sage expanses and there were still pockets of water.
P1010085.JPG
We discovered they were eating the buds off the invasive Mediterranean sage; they had no native sage leaves in their systems [usually are packed]. They also had some grass shoots. We assumed too they were picking grasshoppers in the grassy areas. There was indeed native sage but they were not stuck to it like normal.
IMG_6163.JPG
Staged photo since the grassy won't hold up a Remmie nor can you hang grouse from it - plus the sage is just more appropriate! I really have come to enjoy sage grouse and finding them in the desert; am glad so many folks are working to keep them stable.
IMG_6157 (2).JPG
Also came across my first ever buzzworm - after 50+ years of living in the desert and spending time visiting and tromping around. We parted ways amicably as he gave me fair warning and I had no need to bother him!