Sako 75 223 barrel twist?

warhawk07

FNG
Looking at a used Sako 75 in .223 Rem that a buddy wants to sell. Searched all over online and see conflicting info on the barrel twist. Ive seen 1-8, 1-10, 1-12 from different sources. Wondering if anyone here knows for sure??? thanks

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
Based upon this screen shot from a PDF from the Sako website the Model 75 223 is 1-8"

1603939142235.png

-- Scott

OP
W

warhawk07

FNG
Based upon this screen shot from a PDF from the Sako website the Model 75 223 is 1-8"

View attachment 228365

-- Scott
Thanks Scott. Yes I’ve seen this on Sako’s website. I’ve also seen people posting online talking about how the have the same gun in a, for example, 1-10 twist. Doesnt mean they know what they’ve got.. I’ve also seen pics of these guns where on the left side of the barrel in the “caliber stamp” there is an ”8” stamped in the barrel. Seen other barrels that didn’t have that “8” stamped on them. Made me wonder...if sako made these guns with different twists, they stamped “8” on the 1-8 twist barrels and if there is no “8” stamped it may have a different twist.

my operative assumption is they are/were 1-8s. Given the confusion outlined above I just thought I’d ask here to see if someone can...unequivocally... say they were all 1-8s.

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have access to the rifle? If so you can get a crude measurement of the twist rate by using a cleaning rod with a tight fitting brush or jag.

That should be good enough to tell you what you're looking for with that specific rifle.

-- Scott

Sako and Tikka barrels come off the same line. In the past they have offered 8, 10 and even 12 twist barrels, depending on the rifle brand and model. The only way to know for sure is to personally measure the twist on the rifle.