Sako 85 Carbonlight Barrel Weight?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I am considering a rebarrel on my Sako Carbonlight in .260. I have looked and asked on the Sako forums for the weight of the 20” fluted stainless factory barrel.

I am wondering if a Proof carbon barrel would be lighter and how fitment would be with the carbon fiber stock.

Has anyone broken down their carbon light or finlight 20” barrel and weighed it?

Thanks!

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Because different chamberings come in 22” and 24” barrel lengths I think I can get really close to figuring out the weight of the barrel. The one hitch here is that Sakos actions on the 85 are made for the specific cartridge. I tried to factor in the weight gain going from a Sako small action to a Sako medium action as well.

As a pretty conservative best guess that I’ve figured is that the barrel weighs about 3.7 lbs.

A 20” Proof sendero light replacement weighs in at 2.6 lbs.

This is tempting to do the barrel swap as long as it fits into the carbon Sako stock. There is no modifying the carbon to make a barrel fit. Time to check some measurements.

Put me heavily in the camp that wrapping a stainless piece of metal in carbon doesn’t improve the piece of metal besides making it heavier.

I’d look hard at replicating a kimber Montana profile at 20” and call it good.

what are you switching it for

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Put me heavily in the camp that wrapping a stainless piece of metal in carbon doesn’t improve the piece of metal besides making it heavier.

I’d look hard at replicating a kimber Montana profile at 20” and call it good.

what are you switching it for
My guess at 2.7 was conservative. I have a feeling it’s higher. Was hoping to go to a 22” Proof barrel to get some more velocity and maintain the factory weight. That was the plan anyway.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Also. They don’t just wrap carbon fiber around a normal barrel and call it good lol. You should check out how they are made and why you save weight.

Don't bother honestly. You'll have to get some stock work gone to accommodate fitting that barrel.
A proof is going to weigh about what a #3 benchmark does roughly speaking.

mt100gr.

WKR
I don't know what the factory barrel contour for that rifle looks like but the claim for weight savings is when comparing barrels of the same or similar contour. Every comparison I have done shows factory Tikka /Sako barrels being lighter.

mt100gr.

WKR
The claims I stated, I believe, are specific to how Proof relates their barrel weights/contours. I believe Mike at Hells Canyon builds his carbon barrels lighter. And I think he has a couple contours that might be OK with that CF stock? (Not sure on that) I'd check in with Mike, he will have an idea on the weights ,too - he's done a lot of work on Tikka rifles.

For discussion : why are you wanting a rebarrel on your 260?

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The claims I stated, I believe, are specific to how Proof relates their barrel weights/contours. I believe Mike at Hells Canyon builds his carbon barrels lighter. And I think he has a couple contours that might be OK with that CF stock? (Not sure on that) I'd check in with Mike, he will have an idea on the weights ,too - he's done a lot of work on Tikka rifles.

For discussion : why are you wanting a rebarrel on your 260?

The idea was to be able to go up to a 22” barrel to get some more velocity out of the rig. Right now I’m in the 2705 range with the 129 grain SSTs. My estimations are I’d be in the 2760’s with the proof 22”.

The plan was to gain some velocity without adding weight. More energy down field is favorable for me and also around 5” less drop at 600 yards is appealing.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’ve looked into this too. From my research, the substantial “weight savings” on carbon barrels is for similarly profiled barrels.

they don’t make carbon barrels in thin profiles like they do steel. I have a tikka superlite (24.3” barrel) and can’t find a aftermarket replacement that will be as light as factory fluted thin profile.

that said getting a sendaro light profile carbon, although twice as thick does offer advantages as well (heat dissipation , stiffness, etc) but it won’t be lighter IMO than the thinnest steel barrels.

Tahoe1305

WKR
One other thought.

I’m not positive if the Sako 260 has a similar throat as the tikka in 6.5C, but my tikka and most are throated pretty long. If properly measured and if there is length capacity in the magazine, you should be able to safely create a load that is longer than SAAMI, with a bit more powder that is closer to the lands and produce a bit more velocity. when doing this with my tikka I am getting 2900fps (24”)using 143s (factory was under 2600). Maybe just something to check.
Bryan Litz has some articles on this on Berger’s website if you want to research it at all. Again gun/throat dependent, but if it works, it works.

How much velocity are you truly after?

I am running my 6.5cm carbonlight with a 20.25" barrel and have a couple of loads worked up with the help of quickload and the optimal barrel timing method.

Managed to hit a node within safe pressures of RL17 and a 140gr nosler accubond going 2742fps avg and grouping 0.49moa at 100yrd. Depends on what bullet and powder you are running and how much speed you are truly after.

Why not just have one of the custom barrel makers dup your current contour and just finish it @ 22" or whatever you want. Adding a couple inches isn't going to increase the weight much and it gets you what you want in regards to the speed your looking for?? Plus you don't have to monkey around with your stock.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
How much velocity are you truly after?

I am running my 6.5cm carbonlight with a 20.25" barrel and have a couple of loads worked up with the help of quickload and the optimal barrel timing method.

Managed to hit a node within safe pressures of RL17 and a 140gr nosler accubond going 2742fps avg and grouping 0.49moa at 100yrd. Depends on what bullet and powder you are running and how much speed you are truly after.

Wow that’s great numbers! Thanks for the PM too.