Sako 85 Carbonlight impressions?

sbw50

FNG
Calling all Sako 85 Carbonlight users. I am contemplating buying one of these in a short action chambering, possibly 308 or 7mm. I have read all the typically glowing gun writer reviews and some of the older threads here and elsewhere. I have handled one of the rifles. It fits and points really well and the quality for a production rifle was very impressive. Very smooth nice compact handy rifle.

Pros seem to be it’s a Sako, I like their top feeding mag system, 5 shot factory tested accuracy, lightweight, durability and fit/finish. I’ve seen some of the durability tests this rifle has been subjected to as well as harsh Finish winters and still shoots within an inch, pretty impressive.

Cons seem to be the sheer expense relative to other offerings at that price point, the scope mounting system is not ideal, and slower rifling twist rates (particularly for the 7mm).
I own a Kimber MA in 280AI. I thought this rifle would nicely complement it and hopefully it would be easier to shoot and be higher quality and accurate.

So I would appreciate all those who have spent meaningful time behind this rifle to share your experiences and impressions. Good, bad, regrets etc. thank you for your time.

By the way I am aware of the brass ejection issues on some actions and some size scopes. This does not concern me given my intended setup. Additionally since I am shooting a short action I am less worried about the size of the mag box that sometimes impacts folks with the long action magnums.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My Sako 85 carbonlight in .260 is in my top 3 rifles of all time and I wish I never sold it. Needed the money at the time and it’s an expensive rifle. Handles amazing, shoots amazing, and it’s a Sako. Reliable as rifles get. Was as accurate as any of my custom rifles as well with the 129 grain SSTs.

It’s light. Very light. Get some Talley bases for it. The Leupold bases are okay. Not great. Sako bases and rings work too but are heavier. Don’t ruin it by putting a big heavy scope on there.

That factory 20” fluted stainless barrel along with the nicely fitted carbon fiber stock handles like a dream. I’m probably going to get another one, problem is my semi custom Tikka T3X in .260 shoots just about as good.

The Sako has the flush mount stainless mag that you can also top load. Love that. The one thing I don’t like is that you have to press up on the mag box for the button to release the mag. Some guys like it though as a safety thing in the field. Only other complaint is the limitations on scope mounts, but the talleys worked nicely for me. Use blue loktite and they hold up great.

Anything over .308 is going to punch hard. Mine was actually lighter than the factory stated weight. I’d recommend 6.5 cm or .260. 7mm-08 would be another nice choice. I wouldn’t step up to the 7mm rem mag not only because of recoil but because they add a ton of barrel to it and it is so perfectly balanced with that 20.5” barrel.

If you have the money I’d get one for sure. The thing is though you could build 2 Semi Custom Tikkas for the same price and have close to the same rifle. Start with a T3X Superlite stainless on your on your way to a slightly longer barrel Carbonlight. Something to consider.

Photos below with both the Sako rings and Talleys.

37BCEDE5-02E8-40F9-ABE8-CEB29C26E603.jpeg

28C34FC5-DB57-4DEA-92FD-C57E860E0CF5.jpeg

tdot

WKR
My brother has 2x Sako 85 Finnlights. They are nice rifles, action is excellent. But, they are 2 of the worst recoiling rifles I've personally handled. They are in .243 and 270win and they both have more muzzle rise and felt recoil then my unbraked 300wm did. The shoulder pad is well below the centerline of the action, which is part of the issue. I had a far easier time shooting my .308 Kimber Montana at distance then I have had with either of the Finnlights. My brother was actually having trouble with the 270 and was unfortunately talked into the .243 as it was an easier recoiling round. But unfortunately the .243 has the same ergonomics which are not ideal. I'm now in the process of developing some reduced recoil loads to try and mitigate the issue.
I have read of others complaining of the same issue, which is a shame, as it is a nice rifle.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My brother has 2x Sako 85 Finnlights. They are nice rifles, action is excellent. But, they are 2 of the worst recoiling rifles I've personally handled. They are in .243 and 270win and they both have more muzzle rise and felt recoil then my unbraked 300wm did. The shoulder pad is well below the centerline of the action, which is part of the issue. I had a far easier time shooting my .308 Kimber Montana at distance then I have had with either of the Finnlights. My brother was actually having trouble with the 270 and was unfortunately talked into the .243 as it was an easier recoiling round. But unfortunately the .243 has the same ergonomics which are not ideal. I'm now in the process of developing some reduced recoil loads to try and mitigate the issue.
I have read of others complaining of the same issue, which is a shame, as it is a nice rifle.
The carbon light stock ergonomics and shape is not the same as the Finnlight.

OP
S

sbw50

FNG
My Sako 85 carbonlight in .260 is in my top 3 rifles of all time and I wish I never sold it. Needed the money at the time and it’s an expensive rifle. Handles amazing, shoots amazing, and it’s a Sako. Reliable as rifles get. Was as accurate as any of my custom rifles as well with the 129 grain SSTs.

It’s light. Very light. Get some Talley bases for it. The Leupold bases are okay. Not great. Sako bases and rings work too but are heavier. Don’t ruin it by putting a big heavy scope on there.

That factory 20” fluted stainless barrel along with the nicely fitted carbon fiber stock handles like a dream. I’m probably going to get another one, problem is my semi custom Tikka T3X in .260 shoots just about as good.

The Sako has the flush mount stainless mag that you can also top load. Love that. The one thing I don’t like is that you have to press up on the mag box for the button to release the mag. Some guys like it though as a safety thing in the field. Only other complaint is the limitations on scope mounts, but the talleys worked nicely for me. Use blue loktite and they hold up great.

Anything over .308 is going to punch hard. Mine was actually lighter than the factory stated weight. I’d recommend 6.5 cm or .260. 7mm-08 would be another nice choice. I wouldn’t step up to the 7mm rem mag not only because of recoil but because they add a ton of barrel to it and it is so perfectly balanced with that 20.5” barrel.

If you have the money I’d get one for sure. The thing is though you could build 2 Semi Custom Tikkas for the same price and have close to the same rifle. Start with a T3X Superlite stainless on your on your way to a slightly longer barrel Carbonlight. Something to consider.

View attachment 353163

View attachment 353165
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences and perspectives. Very helpful.

I have contemplated the semi custom Tikka route but I prefer the Sako feeding system and smaller action size. I’d have to probably dump $1k into the Tikka for an upgraded stock and metal to replace all the plastic parts, at a minimum. At heart what I am really looking for is a compact handy rifle to ride on my pack. The 24” Kimber sticks up like a broomstick and my custom rifle is too heavy over 8lbs bare unscoped.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I own two, one in 22-250, the other in 243. Both topped with Swaro Z3 4-12X50 scopes. The 243 is my go to. Deer, rock chuck, coyote, cow elk, etc. Finest rifles I own. If one was lost or stolen, I would replace in kind ASAP.

Love the top loading mag, the smooth feed and bolt action. Carbon stock always feels warm, trigger breaks like a dream. Both shoot 1/2 MOA with good ammo.

I run both suppressed, so no recoil problems here. I can't recommend enough, I keep buying Fieldcrafts, Wby Backcontry Ti, Seekins Havak Element etc just trying to find a rifle that feels and shoots like the Sako. So far, no contest, the Sako always wins out.

You can't go wrong with a Finnlight, but if you have the coin, buy the Carbonlight. Everyone that I've lent mine too now owns one.

OP
S

sbw50

FNG
Thanks for sharing. One question how do you run them suppressed? Did you have a smith thread the muzzle? Do you recall what thread pitch? TBAC doesn’t recommend attaching a suppressor to a barrel with a 1/2 x 28. The minimum is 9/16 x 24. I’ve been wondering actually how I could run one of their suppressors on this rifle. Perhaps Tikka owners face a similar dilemma.

OP
S

sbw50

FNG

View attachment 353163

View attachment 353165
When you had your rifle did you use the one piece Sako Optilock or Sako two piece rings/bases? Two piece seems like it would be a challenge to align everything properly and more points of loosening. I like the idea of the Sako one piece. The mounting system is the primary deterrent for me and this rifle.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
When you had your rifle did you use the one piece Sako Optilock or Sako two piece rings/bases? Two piece seems like it would be a challenge to align everything properly and more points of loosening. I like the idea of the Sako one piece. The mounting system is the primary deterrent for me and this rifle.
I used the Talley rings and bases because they were lighter than the Sako mounts.

Bravo6

FNG
I have a Sako Carbonlight in 300 Win Mag. I kind of like it. I had the barrell trimed to 21" for the Texas Brush, put a better recoil pad on it. The Long Action Carbonlights are about the same weight as your standard Tikka, but I really like it. I hunt with electronic ear protection, so I have a brake on it.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Buy a SAKO A7 instead. It's the same rifle with normal or Rouhgtech stock. Less than 1/2 of price.
Don't make them anymore, action length limits cartridge length in magnum calibers and stocks are flimsy. Very accurate though.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I threaded my barrels 1/2X28. I'm running a couple of SiCo Omega 30s. I've threaded all of my Tikkas (270, 7RM, 270WSM, 223) 1/2X28 as well. I'm running direct thread for suppressor attachment.