Sako 85 Grey Wolf 300 WSM - Elk Load Help Needed

banditti

FNG
I have a Sako 85 Grey Wolf 300 WSM. It has the TB SR Brake and I have the Dominus-SR that I am most likely going to hunt with.

Anyone done an elk load on this gun?

168 vs 180?

I am leaning towards Partitions, Accubonds, TTX, or 175 LRX

I have VV N550, which I would prefer but also have AA 4350 and H4831SC

Thank you in advance

In my experience, the 300 wsm doesn't have the horsepower to get a barnes TSX to expand in a meaninful way. My experience with the full size 300 win mag and the 165 TSX also produced lousy wound channels even at very close distances (<50 yards).

So, from your choices, the lighter accubond or the heavier partition would be my recommendation.

Edited for exact precision to appease @SDHNTR

Last edited:

ahlgringo

WKR
180 partitions and H4350 is what I use in my 75 gray wolf. I will have to look at my book, but I think I am right around 2950fps.

SDHNTR

WKR
In my experience, the 300 wsm doesn't have the horsepower to get a barnes, especially the TSX, to expand in a meaninful way. My experience with the full size 300 win mag and the 165 TSX has also produced lousy wound channels even at very close distances (<50 yards).

So, from your choices, the lighter accubond or the heavier partition would be my recommendation.
my experience contradicts this statement strongly. dozens if not hundreds of times. Shoot the ttsx, whatever weight is more accurate in your gun. Stick it into the shoulder and things will fall over dead.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
The 168gr TTSX has a recommended minimum velocity of 1500fps, 165gr TTSX is 1800fps, and guessing the LRX is somewhere around 1500, so any of those should be good for you out to 700yards. Seems like elk have been taken with lighter cartridges with no issues.

Edit to add that 180gr TSX is min recommended 1500fps. With the execption of the LRX, this is all data from Barnes' customer service.

OP
banditti

banditti

FNG
So basically, maybe any of those would be fine. LOL

Thank you all for your insights.

OP
banditti

banditti

FNG
Find what is accurate in your gun and go hunting. That's all that really matters. They'll all work.
I totally get that. I threw out 7ish bullet choices and 3 powders for 21 different combinations that are for the most part know to be solid. My hope was to find someone with my gun who I could narrow down the starting point.

Try finding some hybrid 100v, that powder has worked best in my WSM. I’m a nosler homer so I prefer anything nosler. Have had great results with 180 accubonds and 200 partitions.

SDHNTR

WKR
I totally get that. I threw out 7ish bullet choices and 3 powders for 21 different combinations that are for the most part know to be solid. My hope was to find someone with my gun who I could narrow down the starting point.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I really wish there were some shortcuts like this but there just aren't. Every single gun has its own unique personality. Even if you found two of the exact same make and model rifle, it's entirely possible that those two could prefer entirely different powders, bullets and load recipes. This is the part I don't like about reloading, the experimentation required. What others have experienced means little in your gun. The ONLY answer is trial and error in your own rifle to figure out what it likes.

OP
banditti

banditti

FNG
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I really wish there were some shortcuts like this but there just aren't. Every single gun has its own unique personality. Even if you found two of the exact same make and model rifle, it's entirely possible that those two could prefer entirely different powders, bullets and load recipes. This is the part I don't like about reloading, the experimentation required. What others have experienced means little in your gun. The ONLY answer is trial and error in your own rifle to figure out what it likes.
Fair. Thanks.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
I’ll add that with the powders, you might want to look into the temperature sensitivity of them as a place to start with prioritizing which you start with. H4831SC is probably the most temp stable of those you listed.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Sako 85 Grey Wolf 300 WSM. It has the TB SR Brake and I have the Dominus-SR that I am most likely going to hunt with.

Anyone done an elk load on this gun?

168 vs 180?

I am leaning towards Partitions, Accubonds, TTX, or 175 LRX

I have VV N550, which I would prefer but also have AA 4350 and H4831SC

Thank you in advance
I'm just here to congratulate you on using Home Star Runner as your avatar... Excuse me, gotta go check my email. What what, da email.

wytx

WKR
I shoot a Sako A7 300wsm, not suppressor or break though.
I load up 165-168 gr bonded bullets, 66 gr IMR 4350.
I load Grand slams, A frames and some TBBC I have left over. I have used core lokt too with great success on elk.
Recoil is not an issue .

H4350 and 180 accubonds here in my browning. From my experience something in the 4350 range is best for 165-180gr bullets for this cartridge.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
banditti

banditti

FNG
I'm just here to congratulate you on using Home Star Runner as your avatar... Excuse me, gotta go check my email. What what, da email.
ahh, we are going to be fast friends... I can already tell. Excuse while I go look for a thing in a bag.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425